Canadian Rockies: Banff to Vancouver
Know Before You Go
For an epic trip with zero stress and infinite holy s#!t moments, get familiar with the information below. Seeing the world should be fun, not stressful, which is why we’ve written this guide for you so all you have to do is travel. Now, it’s time to do a happy dance and make this trip ULTIMATE.
If you have any questions, chat in, or give us a call at 617-619-1411. We’re available to make sure you have the Best. Trip. Ever.
Complete Your Checklist
Before heading to the airport, complete the tasks below and check them off in your Online Account Checklist. If you have any questions, give us a call at 617-619-1411. We’re available 24/7 to make sure you have the Best. Trip. Ever.
- Passport: Your passport must be valid for 6 months after the tour return date.
- Entry Requirements: Travelers are responsible for monitoring and complying with all entry requirements based on their tour itinerary (including countries in transit). You can view the most up to date entry requirements for this tour here.
- Travel Insurance: While travel insurance is not required, we strongly encourage all travelers to obtain coverage before departure. Check out cost-effective Travel Protection, designed to meet the needs of EF travelers, here.
- Health Insurance: You will need to carry your primary insurance card with you while overseas. This is a critical item in the event of a medical emergency.
- Talk with your doctor: It is highly recommended that you talk with your doctor about your travel plans. If you are taking any medications, be certain to bring enough to last throughout your trip.
- Traveling with allergies? Let your Trip Consultant and Tour Director know of any dietary restrictions/allergies and we will do what we can to accommodate for any included meals.
- Request a roommate: Double-check with us and your Tour Director that they have your rooming status on file. We will assign a roommate for you if you do not submit a specific request.
- Get an international data plan: We recommend getting an international data plan for your mobile device so you can stay connected while on the road. Please talk with your phone provider for your best options.
- Wi-Fi will be in some hotels, restaurants, and bars.
- Wi-Fi is not available on the bus.
- Get the EF Ultimate Break app: Your trip's group will be able to connect on the app before you meet IRL. Don't miss out! Meet other travelers, get updates from your Tour Director, see flights and accommodations, and more. If you're having trouble, give us a call at 617-619-1411.
Staying Healthy while Traveling
Fact: Travel is exhilarating. And FOMO is real. We understand why you don’t want to miss a second of the action, but there’s a difference between maximizing your time and spreading yourself too thin. Here are some tips to stay healthy and happy on tour:
- Sleep: Flying across the country (even if it's just one border), changing time zones, and being active and on the move can take a toll on your body. Make sure you get the rest your body needs.
- Stay hydrated: During this trip, you’ll traverse through deserts, canyons, arches and more! With so much to see and do, it’s important to drink plenty of water each day; Don’t forget to pack that reusable water bottle and hydrate
- Take time for yourself: Group travel is an amazing experience. That said, it’s okay to take time for yourself to relax and reflect on your experience. Try one of these mindfulness apps while you're on the road:
- MindShift: Focused on anxiety management, this app has an array of cognitive behavior therapy features including journaling, goal-setting, calming audio, and a community forum.
- Ten Percent Happier: Filled with videos and guided meditations intended to help with everything ranging from sleep to stress reduction.
With a global presence of more than 46,000 people in over 115 countries and regions, we’re fully committed to your safety. From your first flight all the way through to your farewell dinner don’t hesitate to reach out to your Tour Director or your Trip Consultant if you need a helping hand. Keep these extra tips in mind so you can #travelsmart:
- Keep your bag/purse in front of you and your phone zipped inside when you’re not using it. Leave your laptop at home, store valuables at the hotel in locked luggage or the safe deposit box. Refrain from carrying large sums of money or wearing valuable jewelry.
- Use the buddy system. Stay in groups and watch out for each other, especially at night—no one gets left behind!
- Be smart about alcohol consumption. Watch your drinks and don’t accept drinks from people you don’t know. Don’t leave the bar alone with someone you just met.
- Before you go out, grab a business card at your hotel so that you always have the address handy for getting back later.
- At the end of a night out, use trusted transportation like a licensed taxi or Uber, and always have cash on hand.
- Save our 24/7 number in your phone: +1–617–619–1411
We at EF will help facilitate any testing requirements while on tour, however it is the travelers responsibility to pay for these tests and it is our recommendation that you budget roughly 150 USD total. Please note that non-boosted travelers may be required to do additional testing to enter places such as restaurants, and/or major attractions.
Remember that you know your spending habits best and not everyone’s spending habits are the same. These recommendations are based on a traveler who says yes to any and all activities while on tour.
We recommend budgeting $60-$80 per day for meals, gratuities, shopping, and free time activities. For this trip, that means roughly $600-$800 but you know your spending habits best. If you’re looking to #treatyourself to the max, you may want to budget a little more.
In Canada, the currency is the Canadian dollar. Although neighbors with the USA, it is considered a hassle for businesses to accept US cash instead of the national currency. You can exchange your US money for Canadian dollars at banks, shopping malls, American Express Offices in Canada, Train Stations, Post Offices and other convenient locations.
Make sure to talk with your bank and credit card companies to let them know where and when you are traveling to avoid any fraudulent charges or getting locked out of your account.
It’s standard to leave 15-20% tip in restaurants, and for taxis. As it is also customary to tip for services provided, we recommend the following for this tour:
- Local Guides: $1-$2
- Bus Driver: $20-$30 given at the end of the trip
- Tour Director: $40-$60 given at the end of the trip
For weight and size restrictions please refer to your airline’s website. Flight information will be available 30 days prior to departure in your online account. Below you'll find some critical packing information and suggestions.
- Please note, your airline ticket does not include a checked bag.
- The most important piece of advice we can give you: Pack light! You may need to carry your suitcase where buses and elevators cannot, so make sure you are comfortable carrying everything you bring yourself.
- You've probably heard the hacks about rolling clothes and using packing cubes a million times, but there's a reason for that! It really does help.
- If you choose to pack all of your toiletries, don't bring your regular-sized bottles from home. Offload some of that into travel-sized containers.
- Choose your luggage wisely. We recommend a roller carry-on bag and a backpack as your personal item.
- Choose shoes carefully as well. They're some of the bulkiest items you can pack, so we recommend a good pair of walking shoes and a pair of climate-appropriate shoes (boots or sandals depending on the destination and time of year). We also recommend a pair of closed-toe water shoes if your itinerary has any water activities.
- Make a packing list of must-haves and stick to it. If you have a little extra space in your bags once all your must-haves are packed, then consider adding in a few nice extras.
- Unfortunately, luggage can get lost. It’s a painful situation no matter what, but here are tips to ease some of the hassle:
- DO NOT put important medications in a checked bag. If your luggage is lost, this could become a dangerous issue.
- Even if you put most of your clothes in a checked bag, put a couple outfits in your carry-on along with your toiletries.
- If you are forced to check you carry-on at the gate, be sure to remove essentials and valuables before handing it over.
- Carefully review TSA restrictions when packing. There are a number of items not allowed in your carry-on and liquids have certain restrictions.
- Check out the local weather; we haven't figured out how to control the weather yet so best to be prepared and plan accordingly.
Check your online account 30 days prior to departure for your flight itinerary and confirmation number. Using your 6-digit reservation code, you can reserve your seat (this is typically available 30 days to 24 hours before departure) and check in to your flight 24 hours prior to departure. If you prefer to check in at the airport that’s okay, too. Regardless, plan to arrive 2.5 – 3 hours before departure.
All flight information is online (e-ticket) via your account and the airline’s website. You will not receive a physical paper ticket from us.
- If your flight is canceled or delayed: Don’t worry! We design the first day of tour as an arrival day in case of flight delays or cancelations. Work with the airline to get rebooked on the next available flight, then let your Tour Director know your new arrival time
- If you sleep in and miss your flight: You should still talk to the airline and see if they can get you on the next available option. Tears may help in this case.
Arriving in Calgary
Your Tour Director will communicate through the EF Ultimate Break app, WhatsApp, or email about where to meet them at the airport. This is an important reason to make sure you have the EF Ultimate Break app!
If you have booked your own flight arrangements or have extended your travels before or after the tour dates, you will need to make your own way to the first hotel. Accommodation details will be available in your online account 30 days prior to departure.
Getting from A to B
All transfers between cities are via private bus and can take anywhere between 2-6 hours. Bring motion sickness medicine in case you’re prone to getting carsick. It’s a good idea to download a few movies or shows to watch sans Wi-Fi/ Cellular Data, bring a great book with you to read, or listen to music to pass the time.
If you’d like to plan something else during your free time, connect with your Tour Director before doing so; they sometimes arrange extra activities for the group during free time.
This trip is designed for the great outdoors, which means lots of activity! Day 3 will consist of a long day of hiking including Johnston Canyon, Lake Agnes and Lake Louise, so bring your water bottle and get ready for an adventure.
- Johnston Canyon = 3.5 miles
- Lake Louise = 1.5 miles
- Lake Agnes = 4.5 miles
Total = 9.5 miles for the day
We’re so glad you chose to travel with us and are now part of the EF Ultimate Break family! We'll look for your post-card in the mail, and your #thisisultimate tags on Instagram. Cheers to the Best. Trip. Ever.