Athens & Ancient Greece
From $2399 with flightsPayments as low as $458
Travel back in time to where Western Civilization began on the Acropolis of Athens, walk through ancient citadels in Mycenae and Nafplio, then help yourself to as much Greek mythology as you can handle in Olympia and Delphi. This is Greece like you’ve never seen it.
What are the top highlights?
- Hike to the top of Athens’ ancient and famous Acropolis
- Walk through Mycenae’s Lion Gate, erected over 3,000 years ago
- Consider yourself king or queen of the castle at Palamidi Fortress in Nafplio
- Think athletic thoughts as you wander through Olympia, the ancient site of the Olympics.
- Visit Delphi, the center of the world according to the Greek God, Zeus
Your trip includes
- Round-trip flights & airport transfers
- Multilingual Tour Director & local guides
- Private deluxe motorcoach
- 7 nights in hand-picked accommodations
- Welcome Dinner
- Daily breakfast & a three-course Farewell Dinner
- Entrance to the Acropolis, Archaeological Site of Delphi & other select attractions
You’ll stay at accommodations hand-picked by our team of local experts, in rooms only for EF Ultimate Break travelers. Each property is located in a safe, convenient area. You’ll receive your exact accommodations 30 days before your trip departs.
Click here for examples of where you'll stay.
Admit it, booking flights is the worst. Here's why you should let us do it for you:
- Flight costs are included in your monthly payment plan, so you can pay over time
- Airport transfers are included, so we’ll be waiting, sign in hand
- Flights are booked with major airlines
- 24/7 support no matter what time zone you’re in
- One checked bag included on most flights
- Option to make changes to your trip up to 99 days before departure
Booking with a friend? Let us know and we’ll do our best to make sure you’re on the same flight. Still want to book your own flights? That’s cool, simply select ‘No flights included’ instead of your departure city in the ‘Flights from’ dropdown.
- Meet an EF representative at the airport.
- Transfer to your accommodations and check in.
- Receive the latest schedule from your Tour Director.
- Meet your fellow travelers as they arrive.
- Step back in time in the historic Acropolis of Athens with your local guide.
- See the Propylaea, the Theatre of Dionysus, and a bunch of other structures you’ll need your guide’s help to pronounce.
- Take in incredible panoramic views of Athens from the citadel’s hilltop vantage point, and understand why the ancient city’s name translates to “high city.”
- Stop in Epidarus, and visit an outdoor theater recognized for such impeccable acoustics, people can practically hear your thoughts.
- Follow a guide through Mycenae, known for the Bronze Age Lion Gate, the original entrance to the city, and wonder why your city can’t have a cool entrance like that.
- Pinch yourself (not too hard) as you arrive in Nafplio, a picture-perfect seaside town where you’ll spend the rest of the day.
- Visit the castle of Palamidi, located on the crest of a hill overlooking the city and the Argolic Gulf.
- Arrive in Olympia, surrounded by the remains of the ancient city from nearly 4,000 years ago.
- Tour the site with a local guide who may or may not challenge you to a foot race to get in the Olympic spirit.
- Admire the (literally) sculpted abs of Greek and Roman gods in the Archeological Museum.
- Stand in what’s left of the very first Olympic stadium, and wave to your imaginary fans in the imaginary stands.
- Hop aboard a bus towards Delphi.
- Visit the Sanctuary of Apollo, once the most important sacred site in Greece and home to the Oracle AKA the guy with all the answers.
- Lay your eyes upon The Omphalos of Delphi, a big marble stone and symbol of Apollo that Zeus apparently threw from the sky.
- Gawk at Mount Parnassus, the limestone mountain towering 8,000 feet over the city, which was home to the mythological winged horse, Pegasus.
- Greet the ancient city like a really, really old friend.
- Revisit some favorite spots from day one in Athens, or go on a hunt to find new hidden gems.
- Check out some of the residential areas for an authentic look at life in Athens.
Day 1: Overnight Flight
Board your overnight flight to Athens, the cradle of Western Civilization and one of the oldest cities in the world. Pro tip: if you’re looking to earn some bonus points with the locals upon arrival, make sure you refer to Greece by its real name: Hellas.
Day 2: Arrive in Athens
Welcome to Athens! 2,500 years ago, it was kind of a happening place, and still is today—with fewer people in togas walking around. It’s a vibrant metropolis, and a perfect jumping-off point for your journey through Greece. When the sun goes down, expect to see people socializing in the streets. It’s how they roll.
In the evening, enjoy a Welcome Dinner of local cuisine with fellow travelers at an authentic local spot. Afterwards, you’re free to take the party elsewhere!
Day 3: Explore Athens
The remains of some historically significant and crazy old structures still stand in this ancient citadel, including the Parthenon and the Temple of Athena Nike. So yeah, it’s kind of a big deal. The rest of the day is yours to explore Athens.
Free Time Suggestions
Ouzo: Sample ouzo, the local anise-flavored aperitif, at an authentic Greek restaurant, locally known as a taverna.
National Archaeology Museum: The National Archaeology Museum is considered one of the greatest museums in the world, with pieces ranging from Greek sculptures to Egyptian Antiquities. Mama Mia! That’s quite a collection.
Day 4: Travel to Nafplio Region via Mycenae and Epidarus
It’s time to leave the big city behind and head west to Peloponnesus, a peninsula so beautiful, it will make you wonder why everyone isn’t following you there. You’re going to the region of Nafplio, but on your way, you’ll stop for tours of Mycenae and Epidarus.
Day 5: Travel to Olympia
Head to Olympia, the ancient site of the Olympics. Before it became a weeks-long international competition sponsored by soft drink and insurance companies, the Olympic games began as a way to honor Zeus. Olympia today is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and there is a lot to see and appreciate. From the views of the idyllic countryside, to the remains of countless temples and ancient buildings, this might just turn out to be the best ancient city experience you’ve ever had.
Day 6: Travel to Delphi
According to Greek mythology, Zeus sent two eagles to discover the center of the world, and they landed in Delphi. Today, it is a fascinating look into the past, and a great excuse to up your Greek mythology trivia game. Beginning in the 6th century BC, Delphi began hosting the Pythian Games, similar to the Olympic Games, but with more emphasis on art and dance.
Day 7: Free Day in Delphi
The time has come for you to do exactly what you want, when you want to do it. Take the day to explore everything Delphi and the nearby towns have to offer. Ancient sites? Yep. Greek food? Absolutely. Beaches? Actually yeah, you’re not too far from the coast.
Free Time Suggestions
Itea Beach: Go all in on relaxation—head to the nearby coast for a sun and sand-filled day at the beach.
Galaxidi: This port town, about 30 minutes from Delphi, is the perfect quiet getaway. Explore the many cobblestone streets, stop in at a cafe or taverna, and make your way to the marina to admire the impressive array of boats.
Day 8: Return to Athens + Farewell Dinner
Athens felt neglected, so it’s a good thing you’re heading back to pay it another visit. By now, you’re an old pro when it comes to exploring Greece, so we’re giving you the day to adventure in Athens on your own before an included farewell dinner with the group.
Free Time Suggestions
Mount Lycabettus: Flood-lit like a beacon towering over the city, Mount Lycabettus offers a spectacular view of the city. If you’ve been holding out on posting a scenic Instagram post, this is your moment.
Psiri: Think of Psiri as the Brooklyn of Athens: impossibly hip and filled with opportunities to dance, drink, or just hang out.
Share some last laughs (and maybe shed a few tears) at an included farewell dinner with the group.
Day 9: Fly Home
Translation: Goodbye, friends. Before you head to the airport, make sure to take one more group photo and grab that final drink. But this isn’t goodbye because you can always get the gang back together for another trip soon. Or if you’re feeling adventurous, we have a couple ways to keep your vacation going.
EXTEND YOUR TRIP 2 WAYS
1. Double the fun
A lot of our trips line up back to back! Give us a call—we can help you add another and save big while you're at it.
2. Go ahead or stay behind
Extending your trip is easy! During checkout, you'll have the option to fly to (or from) the gateway of your choice for an additional fee. We'll adjust your flights accordingly, but you'll be responsible to take care of your transportation, hotels, and other logistics outside of tour.
Note: Depending on your desired gateways, additional fees may apply.