EF Tours for Graduating Seniors: Service Learning in Peru
From Lima to Machu Picchu, you’ll be immersed in the land and culture of Peru. Connect with local communities in the Sacred Valley and learn how they preserve history, art and their heritage. There, you’ll focus on the archaeological remains of the Inca Empire and their lasting cultural influences. While taking in the breathtaking sights from atop the mighty Andes, you’ll also spend time working in a local community on projects that support economic sustainability, local agriculture and access to education.
What are the top highlights?
- Hike to the Sun Gate for epic views of Machu Picchu
- Explore the Sacred Valley of the Incas, rich in Peruvian tradition
- Pet llamas and alpacas; learn the difference between the two
- Explore Cusco, a modern city at a staggering elevation of 11,150 feet
- Visit several Incan archaeological sites, including the fortress of Sacsayhuaman
Your trip includes
- Round-trip flights & airport transfers
- Multilingual Tour Director & local guides
- Private motorcoach
- 8 nights in hand-picked accommodations
- Daily breakfast & three-course Farewell Dinner
- Entrance to Machu Picchu & other select attractions
- Service learning project in the Sacred Valley
You’ll stay at accommodations hand-picked by our team of local experts, in rooms only for EF Ultimate Break travelers. Each property is located in a safe, convenient area. You’ll receive your exact accommodations 30 days before your trip departs.
Day 1: Fly to Lima
Board your flight, and arrive in Lima late tonight. After you get through customs, your Tour Director or another EF representative will be there to take you to the hotel.
Day 2: Sightseeing Tour of Lima
Today, a local guide will lead you on a tour of both the modern and colonial quarters of Lima. Lima was once the center of “the New World,” and is now a bustling metropolis. The city is home to many of South America’s best museums, swankiest shops and tastiest restaurants. You’ll see the city’s cathedral, Plaza de Armas and Church of San Francisco, which houses a museum of religious art and some creepy 16th-century catacombs.
Day 3: Travel to Cuzco
Wake up and head to Lima’s airport for a flight to Cuzco, the center of Incan culture and a beautiful Spanish colonial city. The entire city is located about 11,200 feet above sea level, and boasts some amazing local food and shopping.
- Fly from Lima to Cuzco with your group.
- Check in at your hotel and do some exploring nearby.
Day 4: Sightseeing Tour of Cuzco
On today’s guided sightseeing tour, you’ll stop by the old Spanish Cathedral, La Merced Church, and the extravagant Koricancha Temple, which was once fully covered in gold and serves as a testament to the wealth and power of the Incas. Later, venture off to three separate Incan archaeological sites!
- Enjoy a tour with a local guide and your group visiting sites like the old Spanish Cathedral, La Merced Church, and Koricancha Temple.
- Venture to Incan archaeological sites such as the fortress of Sacsayhuaman.
Day 5: Service Learning in the Sacred Valley
Participate in a Service Learning project in Peru’s Sacred Valley.
You’ll spend the day working in a local community on projects that support economic sustainability, local agriculture and access to education.
Day 6: Experience Machu Picchu
Today, take a train ride through the lush valleys that lead to Machu Picchu, the “Lost City of the Incas.” You will be staying the night at the foot of the mountain in the town of Aguas Calientes. Machu Picchu is completely hidden from the valley floor and is truly one of the world’s most incredible sights.
- Journey by train to the town of Aguas Calientes, on your journey to Machu Picchu, the “Lost City of the Incas”.
- Enjoy a guided tour of Machu Picchu.
- Explore the perfect stonework of the Temple of the Sun, the fountains of the Royal Sector, and the views from the Temple of the Three Windows.
Day 7: Travel to Cuzco + Maras Salt Mines
This afternoon, take a train ride back to Cuzco, and stop along the way at the UNESCO World Heritage site, Maras Salt Mines!
- Journey back to Cuzco via train from Aguas Calientes to Ollanto, and private bus to Cuzco.
- On the way, enjoy a guided tour of the Maras Salt Mines, a UNESCO site.
Say your goodbyes over one last dinner with your group.
Day 8: Travel to Lima + Fly Home
In the morning, take a quick flight with your group back to Lima. Enjoy a few final hours in Lima before boarding your flight home to the U.S.!
- Travel back to Lima on an group flight.
- Spend the afternoon in Lima.
- Fly home to the U.S.
Day 9: Arrive Home
Arrive home in the late morning or afternoon from your overnight flight.
Still searching for your perfect trip?
Talk to a Trip Expert to find the right one for you. Call 1-800-766-2645