EF Tours for Graduating Seniors: Treasures of Thailand
From the bustling metropolis of Bangkok to the serenity of Saiyoke National Park, you will gain a broad understanding of this spectacular kingdom. Navigate the Chao Phraya River canals and battle for bargains at busy markets. Experience the warmth of the Thai people and test your spice threshold with their flavorful cuisine. Every destination and experience will add new depth to this immersive tour of Thai culture and its natural surroundings.
What are the top highlights?
- Visit the Grand Palace, Wat Pho, and more on a guided tour of Bangkok
- Embark on a river cruise after a visiting Ayutthaya’s Historical City
- Experience the famous Damnoen Saduak floating markets
- Learn about the Hellfire Pass and Death Railway on a guided excursion
- Observe elephants in their natural habitat at an elephant sanctuary
- Cook a traditional Northern Thai dinner with a Thai family
Your trip includes
- Round-trip flights & airport transfers
- Multilingual Tour Director & local guides
- Private motorcoach
- Internal flights
- 9 nights in hand-picked accommodations
- Daily breakfast & three-course Farewell Dinner
- Entrance to an Elephant Nature Park, Wat Suan Dok temple, and many more select attractions
You’ll stay at accommodations hand-picked by our team of local experts, in rooms only for EF Ultimate Break travelers. Each property is located in a safe, convenient area. You’ll receive your exact accommodations 30 days before your trip departs.
Day 1: Overnight Flight to Bangkok
Board your overnight flight, bound for Thailand! It’s a long haul, but will be well worth it. For now, sit back and relax, you’ll arrive at night the next day, so be ready to hit the hay and rest up for the coming adventures.
Day 2: Arrive in Bangkok
Welcome to Bangkok! Home of gleaming silver skyscrapers, ancient jewelbox temples, and serene Buddhist monasteries. While here, you’ll see how ancient traditions govern the behavior of a modern people, and how the timeless merges with the contemporary.
- Meet an EF representative at the airport.
- Transfer to your accommodations and check in.
- Receive the latest schedule from your Tour Director.
- Rest up for the adventures to come.
Day 3: Tour Bangkok
Bangkok is one of the world’s top travel destinations, and you’ll soon understand why. Explore the city with your Tour Director the way it was meant to be seen: by river. Today, you’ll visit some of the most important Buddhist temples in Thailand, including the Grand Palace.
- Get to know Bangkok on a guided sightseeing tour of the city.
- Coast down the Chao Phraya River on a boat tour
- Visit Wat Pho (Temple of the Reclining Buddha), which is covered entirely in precious gold
- Explore the Museum of Siam, an interactive museum that depicts Thai history and culture
- Soak in some ancient history at the Temple of Dawn, or Wat Arun
In the evening, it's time for your included Welcome Dinner
Day 4: Ayutthaya Historical City
Take a tour around the UNESCO-recognized historic city of Ayutthaya. During the tour, stop for a sweet local treat. After, return to Bangkok by boat.
Day 5: Damnoen Saduak Floating Markets & Transfer to Kanchanburi
Travel outside of Bangkok to the Damnoen Saduak Floating Markets. These markets have locally-crafted goods, food, fresh fruits, and can only be accessed by longboats. In the afternoon, transfer by bus to Kanchanburi and visit the Death Railway Museum, followed by a Thai Cooking Class in the evening.
- Head to the world-famous Damnoen Saduak Floating Markets, located in a bustling village outside of the city.
- Visit the Death Railway Museum, dedicated to the victims of the Death Railway Bridge. The museum houses displays on the history of the railway, as well as detailed descriptions of the lives of the prisoners who built the line.
- Enjoy a lesson in cooking Thai food, and enjoy the meal you prepared for dinner!
Day 6: Erawan Waterfall & Hellfire Pass
Day 7: Tour Sam Chuk Market & Travel to Phitsanulok
Day 8: Tour Sukhothai Historical Park + Travel to Chiang Mai
Board your private coach to Sukhothai Historical Park, the ancient capital of Thailand. This UNESCO World Heritage Site spans over three miles and features four beautiful lakes and endless ruins.
- Explore the ruins of Sukhothai by foot, or rent a bike to get around
- Cool down by the lake with a Thai iced tea
- Arrive in Chiang Mai and explore the expansive night markets with your Tour Director
- Try local cuisine, like fried insects or exotic fruits, from street vendors
Day 9: Elephant Sanctuary & Home-Hosted Dinner
Spend your morning among gentle giants at an Elephant Sanctuary. Hang out in their natural habit before continuing on to visit the a traditional Lanna (Northern Thai people) household and learn about their traditions while preparing a home-cooked meal.
- Learn about and observe the Asian elephants
- Visit a traditional Thai home and learn about traditions and enjoy a Thai cooking lesson & dinner
Day 10: Buddhist Monk Visit & Travel to Bangkok
Immerse yourself in Buddhist culture with a visit to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep temple and monastery. Climb the 306 steps via the Naga (dragon-headed serpent) staircase to get to the famous temple. Reflect in peaceful meditation in the temple, then have the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to speak with a Buddhist monk.
- Ask the monk anything at an open forum, and gain better insight into the Buddhist way
- Board a mini bus en route to Doi Suthep Temple, high in the mountains of Chiang Mai
- Climb a set of stairs to reach Doi Suthep, where intricate and breathtaking scenery awaits
Day 11: Fly Home
Your next destination awaits—home. Before you head to the airport, enjoy your last few moments together. But this isn’t goodbye. It’s “See you later.”