EF Ultimate Break Booking Conditions
These Booking Conditions are valid for all EF Ultimate Break tours departing on or after November 1, 2023. All tours are operated outside of the U.S. by EF World Journeys International Ltd., Selnaustrasse 30, 8001, Zurich Switzerland, organization number: CHE-417.808.998, VAT number: CHE-331.949.628 MWST. EF World Journeys, Inc., located at Two Education Circle, Cambridge, MA [t: 800-766-2645], is a marketing service provider for that company, does not provide any goods or services for your trip, and is referred herein together with EF World Journeys International, Ltd. as “EF” or “EF Ultimate Break.”
1. RESERVING YOUR TOUR
A reservation fee of $150 per person is required for all tours at the time of enrollment except for EF Ultimate Earth tours (see section 18. EF Ultimate Earth Supplemental Terms). The reservation fee is fully refundable if you cancel within 48 hours of enrollment and the cancellation occurs more than 30 days prior to the scheduled departure date.
EF Ultimate Break incurs substantial non-recoverable costs and expenses of its own in planning, preparing, and pre-paying amounts for tours from the time of enrollment. As a result, the reservation fee becomes non-refundable and non-transferable after 48 hours following enrollment or immediately in the event of enrollment on a tour within 30 days of its scheduled departure date and the Standard Cancellation Policy applies (see section 11. Cancellations and Modifications).
EF may, from time to time, offer promotional enrollment periods requiring only a limited initial payment towards the non-refundable reservation fee to secure your place on a tour. In those circumstances, the initial promotional payment becomes immediately non-refundable and non-transferable. The balance of the reservation fee will then become due in accordance with the traveler’s Automatic Pay schedule and will be non-refundable at the time of payment.
If you are booking 30 days or less prior to the tour’s scheduled departure, you are required to pay in full at the time of booking and EF’s Standard Cancellation Policy (see section 11. Cancellations and Modifications) will immediately apply.
2. WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE PRICE?
A tour’s program price includes the following:
• Standard rooming occupancy (see section 14. Rooming);
• Departure fees and surcharges;
• Round-trip airfare, unless the land-only package is selected;
• Airport transfers, unless the land-only package is selected, or Special Travel Arrangements are made (see sections 12. Flight Information and 13. Special Travel Arrangements);
• Accommodations during tour;
• A dedicated Tour Director;
• Tour Director-led city orientations as specified;
• Sightseeing tours and excursions led by local guides as specified;
• Entrance fees as specified;
• Breakfast daily;
• Welcome and farewell dinners at the beginning and end of tour and other meals as specified by the itinerary;
• Transportation between cities and activities such as buses, cruises, ferries, trains or flights as specified;
• Support from EF representatives abroad;
• 24-hour worldwide emergency service.
3. WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED IN THE PROGRAM PRICE?
A tour’s program price does not include the following:
• Rooming upgrades;
• Optional excursions;
• Tour extensions;
• Travel Protection;
• Beverages, lunch, and dinner (except where specified in the itinerary);
• Transportation to free-time activities;
• Customary gratuities (for your Tour Director, bus drivers and local guides);
• Any applicable baggage-handling or seating preference fees imposed by the airlines (see Flight Information section);
• Expenses caused by airline rescheduling, cancellations or delays caused by the airlines, bad weather or events beyond EF’s control (see section 12. Flight Information);
• Passport, visa, reciprocity fees or other fees associated with meeting destination entry or exit requirements;
• Fees associated with Special Travel Arrangements (see 13. Special Travel Arrangements)
4. PRICE VALIDITY
Based on exchange rates, airfares, fuel prices/surcharges and land costs, all prices are subject to increase prior to the time of booking. All prices are in U.S. dollars. While EF makes every effort to ensure the accuracy of its publications, it cannot be held responsible for typographical or printing errors (including prices). All discounts, promotions, and sales are subject to the specific terms listed for that price. For most promotions, travelers may be eligible for a one-time promotion adjustment should they find the same tour, date, and gateway (if applicable) on sale for a lower price within 60 days of the initial enrollment. This adjustment is only applicable to the base price of the tour. All travelers are ineligible for a price adjustment once their trip is 99 days or less to the scheduled departure date.
5. GROUP TRAVEL
EF Ultimate Break tours are designed for 18 to 35-year-olds as reflected in the pacing, accommodations, activities, and other aspects of the tour. EF does everything it can to keep the program price affordable without sacrificing quality. One way we do this is to organize individuals and small groups to a tour size that will fill a tour bus so that all travelers help cover the costs of the bus, the Tour Director, local guides, etc. As a result, group travel does require some flexibility in booking, departure planning, and operation of your tour. In the event of low enrollment, EF reserves the right to reschedule or cancel a tour. If this happens, EF will offer a comparable tour and/or departure date. If no option is available, you are entitled to a refund of all monies paid.
If improvements can be made to your tour itinerary or unforeseen circumstances necessitate changes, EF reserves the right to amend your itinerary prior to your departure and while on tour. Reasons that may necessitate an itinerary change include but are not limited to: local or national holidays, special events, severe weather, road closures, government orders or restrictions, or other unexpected conditions. EF will make every effort to minimize inconvenience for our travelers; however, such circumstances may require adjustments such as changing the order in which cities are visited on your itinerary, altering your length of stay in a city or country, or using an alternate airport. Other possible changes include departure, arrival or return dates. On certain days, especially holidays and special events, some tour inclusions—such as (but not limited to) historical sites, museums, castles, churches, and shops—may be closed or allow limited access. If we are unable to adjust the itinerary to accommodate for local access restrictions to attractions, we will substitute different inclusions or provide a refund for any missed activity after tour. If your enjoyment might be diminished by such minor limitations, it is your responsibility to check with the respective national tourist organizations before selecting a tour and travel date.
You will be subject to EF’s Standard Cancellation Policy (see section 11. Cancellations and Modifications) should you choose not to travel on a modified itinerary. If you wish to change the date or destination of your tour due to the modified itinerary, EF must be notified by 60 days prior to departure. After this time, additional fees will be incurred, and changes may not be accepted.
6. Health, Capabilities, and Tour Expectations
The pacing and physical requirements of EF Ultimate Break tours vary by itinerary. We recommend that you select a tour that is suitable to your physical capabilities. Most tours require considerable walking and may pose difficulties for travelers with disabilities or impaired mobility. For example, many historic sites are only accessible on foot and involve stairs or inclines. Roads may be narrow and winding, often making it impossible for buses to drive up to your hotel. In addition, as the Americans with Disabilities Act does not apply abroad, service providers on international tours may not have the infrastructure to make special provisions or accommodate special equipment that may be required. For example, hotels may not have first-floor rooms or elevators available. For these reasons, you are required to disclose any physical disabilities or limitations prior to reserving your tour so EF Ultimate Break can help you determine the appropriateness of the selected itinerary. EF Ultimate Break representatives are available to discuss any specific accommodations that disabled passengers might request. EF Ultimate Break reserves the right to decline any tour participant whose condition, in our opinion, or in the opinion of a third-party providing services on the tour, may affect the health, safety, or tour experience of other travelers.
EF Ultimate Break does not tolerate discrimination, harassment, or aggressive behavior by any traveler in any form, including but not limited to:
• offensive language based upon age, race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, military status, marital status, physical or mental disability, gender, sexual orientation and native language;
• inappropriate or abusive behavior, including unwanted physical contact, harassment, violence or threat of violence; or
Those who participate in these, or other similar behaviors may be subject to dismissal from tour at any time at their sole expense and without any refund, expulsion from the ambassador program, and/or banned from future travel with EF.
7. CHANGES AFTER ENROLLMENT
After enrollment is complete, you must review your online account to ensure that your full passport name, date of birth, and sex are reflected accurately. If you need to make any changes to this information, it is your responsibility to notify EF by 99 days before your scheduled departure. Failure to do so will result in additional airline fees and you will be denied boarding at the airport if the name on your e-ticket does not precisely match your passport.
If you need to make any corrections to match your passport details after 99 days prior to departure, it will necessitate that we change your flight reservation, resulting in a minimum service fee of $100 up to the cost of a new published fare airline ticket. This may also result in a different flight itinerary than you were originally booked on, and/or may result in different itineraries from the rest of the group on internal flights.
If you would like to change the date, origin airport, or destination of your tour, you must notify EF in writing of your request by 99 days prior to the departure date of the tour on which you are presently enrolled. Your request is subject to approval based on space available for the new trip to which you would like to rebook.
You are eligible to rebook your tour one time free of charge. if you rebook to a tour within the same travel season*. Any rebookings to a different travel season will incur a $100 non-refundable rebooking fee. Once approved, your account will be adjusted to reflect the details and current price of the new tour. Any promotions received on the original tour are not transferable to the new tour. Any subsequent rebookings will incur a $100 non-refundable rebooking fee. You are responsible for paying the full balance reflected on your updated account. A subsequent cancellation will subject you to the higher cancellation fee under EF’s Standard Cancellation Policy (see section 11. Cancellations and Modifications) based on the departure date of the newly selected tour or the departure date of the originally scheduled tour.
For customers who purchased Travel Protection:
If you purchase Travel Protection offered through EF, you are entitled to rebook your tour in the current travel season* three times without any service fees as long as your current trip and the trip to which you are rebooking is not less than 99 days prior to departure. Any rebookings to a different travel season will incur a $100 non-refundable rebooking fee. Once approved, your account will be adjusted to reflect the details and current price of the new tour. Any promotions received on the original tour are not transferable to the new tour. You are responsible for paying the full balance reflected on your updated account. A subsequent cancellation will subject you to the higher cancellation fee under EF’s Standard Cancellation Policy (see section 11. Cancellations and Modifications) based on either the departure date of the newly selected tour or the departure date of the originally scheduled tour.
*The travel season runs from Oct. 1st to Sept 30th.
8. LATE ENROLLMENTS
If you enroll 99 days or fewer prior to departure, you may incur additional costs to secure your late reservation with airlines, hotels, and other suppliers. Your reservation is pending while we check availability. If we can secure a place for you on tour, you will receive notification confirming that your reservation is complete, and EF’s Standard Cancellation Policy then applies (see section 11. Cancellations and Modifications and 17. Payment Plan for guidelines and payment schedule.)
Should your reservation incur additional costs for flights and land suppliers, an EF Representative will contact you to discuss your options. If you decline to pay the additional airline/supplier fees, or if we are unable to secure your place on tour, you will receive a full refund and your pending reservation will be cancelled.
If you are booking 30 days or less prior to the scheduled departure date for your trip, you are required to pay in full at the time of booking and EF’s Standard Cancellation Policy (see section 11. Cancellations and Modifications) will immediately apply. Also, you are not eligible for the 48-hour risk-free period related to any portion of the program price, including the non-refundable reservation fee.
9. PASSPORTS, VISAS & OTHER TRAVEL DOCUMENTS AND ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Each traveler is solely responsible for obtaining prior to departure a valid passport, applicable visas, and any other required travel documents, as well as verifying and satisfying the entry and exit requirements necessary for each destination of the tour itinerary (including all countries visited in transit). This may include required medical documents, testing, or proof of vaccinations (including any requirement to provide proof of full and up to date COVID-19 vaccination). Entry laws differ with respect to a traveler’s citizenship. All U.S. passports must be valid for at least six months following the tour’s return date. Non-U.S. citizens will need to contact the embassy or consulate of their destination countries to ensure they meet specific entry requirements. Visit the U.S. Department of State’s travel website at www.travel.state.gov for more information. If a traveler is unable to obtain these travel documents or meet any applicable entry or exit requirement, EF’s Standard Cancellation Policy (see section 11. Cancellations and Modifications) will apply and travelers will be solely responsible for any incurred expenses.
10. TRAVEL PROTECTION
You can help protect your investment from the unexpected with the offered Travel Protection plan. Designed specifically with EF travelers in mind, this plan includes both pre- and post-departure benefits, which include medical expense coverage that may apply on tour and tour cancellation for stated reasons such as serious injury or illness or financial hardship due to job loss. All benefits are subject to the limits, terms, and exclusions of the policy. A copy of the policy and additional information prepared by Risk Strategies is available at: https://riskstrategiestravel.com/tour-programs/ultimate-break/. The Travel Protection plan becomes non-refundable after any of the following occur: when you depart on your tour, when you file a claim, or 10 days after receipt.
11. CANCELLATIONS AND MODIFICATIONS
Standard Cancellation Policy
The cancellation policies outlined below take into consideration the costs EF incurs months if not years before groups ever depart. Notice of cancellation from an EF tour will only be accepted from the traveler. The date of cancellation will be determined by the date on which EF receives notice confirming acceptance of cancellation. To qualify for a refund in accordance with EF’s Standard Cancellation Policy, you will need to have agreed to these Booking Conditions (including the Release & Agreement) and all payments must be received on time. In addition to providing written notice of any cancellation, we recommend you also call us to ensure we received your notice and so that we can best review your options.
Based on the date EF receives notice of cancellation and acceptance of the applicable cancellation terms, you will be refunded for the balance paid minus the applicable cancellation fee and any other non-refundable fees or charges. Travelers enrolled in the EF Ultimate Earth tours are subject to additional terms, including different cancellation terms and fees (see 18. EF Ultimate Earth Supplemental Terms). Where applicable, non-refundable fees in addition to the applicable cancellation fee include, but are not limited to, the cost of Travel Protection, late enrollment fees, name change fees, declined credit/debit card fees, late payment fees, manual payment fees, returned check fees, and stop payment fees.
Standard Cancellation Policy
365+ days prior to departure: Full refund less a $150 cancellation fee and all non-refundable fees
364-100 days prior to departure: Full refund less a $450 cancellation fee and all non-refundable fees
99-61 days prior to departure: Full refund less a $1,000 cancellation fee and all non-refundable fees
60-31 days prior to departure: Full refund less a $2,000 cancellation fee and all non-refundable fees
30 days or less prior to departure: No refund will be issued
Refunds can be issued by check to the person whose name appears on the account or issued back to the credit card(s) used to make prior payments (up to the original amount charged per credit card account).
Cancellations or Modifications Required by External Events Beyond EF’s Reasonable Control
EF shall not be liable to any traveler for the need to cancel, modify, or postpone the tour as a result of events that are beyond EF’s reasonable control. These matters include such “acts of God” or force majeure events as actual or threats of: epidemics or pandemics, or other public health issues or emergencies (such as but not limited to the current COVID-19 pandemic); severe weather events or natural disasters such as but not limited to hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, tornadoes, fires, floods, volcanic activity, or landslides; war (whether declared or undeclared); terrorist activities; instability in a destination location; incidents of violence, riot, sabotage, civil commotion, or nationalization; strikes or labor disputes or lockouts; government orders, sanctions, actual or potential quarantines, or other restrictions affecting travel in, to, or around a location; disruption to transportation; chemical or radioactive contamination; or any other reason that makes it actually or potentially impossible or illegal for EF to conduct the tour as originally contracted. EF incurs substantial non-recoverable costs and expenses of its own in planning, preparing, and pre-paying amounts for such tours. Accordingly, if EF cancels a tour for any such reason, travelers will receive an EF future travel voucher for all monies paid, less the cost of any purchased Travel Protection plan. The voucher will be valid for one year from the date of issuance. The value of this future travel voucher is non-refundable in the event of traveler cancellation from a rebooked tour. Cancellation, modification, or postponement by EF for causes described in this section shall not be a violation of its obligations to any traveler and will not be deemed a “failure” to provide travel services.
COVID -19 Cancellations; Modifications; or Requirements
In the event external events beyond EF’s reasonable control have not rendered a tour program impossible or illegal to depart as scheduled yet EF reasonably decides in its sole discretion that the tour must nevertheless be cancelled, modified, or postponed due to health or safety concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic or because issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic would affect the quality of the tour, travelers acknowledge that EF’s sole obligation to them will be to rebook them to a future tour with no rebooking costs or issue an EF future travel voucher in all amounts paid less the cost of any purchased Travel Protection plan that may be used for future travel.
EF is not responsible and shall not be liable to any traveler for any destination-imposed travel or entry requirement related to COVID-19 or for requirements necessary for the operational feasibility of group-based tour programs, including but not limited to vaccination, testing, or other public health requirements. Customers who are unwilling or unable to comply with such travel or entry requirements and choose to cancel their tour are subject to EF’s Standard Cancellation Policy (see section above). EF also reserves the right in its sole discretion to, in good faith efforts to protect against health concerns, exceed destination-imposed travel or entry requirements and require full vaccination against COVID-19, pre-tour and on-tour testing for COVID-19, and other public health measures for travelers to certain destination. In such an event, travelers unable or unwilling to meet such requirements must notify EF of their decision to cancel by no later than 60 days prior to departure. Travelers acknowledge that EF’s sole obligation in that instance is to issue an EF future travel voucher for all monies paid, less the cost of any purchased Travel Protection plan. EF’s Standard Cancellation Policy (see section above) applies to travelers who cancel for a reason covered by this provision within 60 days prior to departure.
12. FLIGHT INFORMATION
For customers who purchase flights from EF:
We always do our best to provide the most direct route to your destination. In order to pass on the best overall value to our travelers, however, certain routings may not be available, and we cannot guarantee non-stop or direct flights. EF cannot guarantee that you and your companions will travel on the same flights. Seat assignments are generated by the airline and will be provided upon check in. You are responsible for any baggage handling fees imposed by the airline. If a traveler is not satisfied with their flight reservation, EF’s Standard Cancellation Policy (see section 11. Cancellations and Modifications) will apply.
Once you are ticketed, you are responsible for any costs associated with changes including but not limited to: name correction, change in gateway, routing preferences or departure time requests. These changes could result in additional costs, most often ranging from $300 in airline fees up to the full cost required to purchase a new published fare airline ticket.
You must travel on all legs of your itinerary. If you do not travel on a portion of your flight itinerary, the remaining portions will be cancelled by the airline. If this happens, you will be responsible for purchasing a new ticket and any service fees charged by the airlines. If you miss a leg of your flight resulting in a delayed arrival, you will not be reimbursed for the missed portions of the trip.
You must start and finish your trip at the same domestic gateway. For example, you may not fly out of Boston and return to New York.
EF cannot arrange extended layover requests. For example, if you are flying from Paris to Los Angeles, you may not stop over in New York for two days.
EF is not responsible for airline schedule changes, personnel strikes impacting service, flight cancellations, or airline delays due to weather, mechanical requirements, capacity, or any other reason beyond EF’s control. If your flight is delayed or cancelled, it is your responsibility to work directly with the airline to get re-booked on a new itinerary as needed. Once your new flight is confirmed, you must then notify EF with your updated arrival time. If you are arriving later than your original scheduled flight, you may not be met by an EF representative at the airport. If this is the case, you will be responsible for making your own transportation arrangements from the airport to the first accommodation on your itinerary.
EF is not responsible for costs associated with a flight delay or cancellation, such as (but not limited to) hotels, meals, or additional airline charges. In the event an airline delay or cancellation causes you to miss time on tour, you will not be reimbursed for missed portions of the trip, including but not limited to accommodations, meals, excursions, or sightseeing tours.
Flights to and from the following destinations may originate/end at any of the airports in that vicinity. On occasion, you may be booked on a flight itinerary returning to a different airport than the one you departed from. If you have selected one of the following interchangeable airports during your enrollment process and prefer a specific gateway of those listed below, you must communicate that preference to EF in writing up until 99 days prior to departure. Please note that EF cannot guarantee availability and additional costs may be associated to accommodate your preference, for which you are responsible. Your preference may also result in additional travel legs to your itinerary due to routing options available within our contracts with the airlines.
• New York: JFK, Newark or LaGuardia
• Washington, D.C./Baltimore: BWI, Dulles or Ronald Reagan National
• Miami: Miami or Fort Lauderdale
• Houston: George Bush Intercontinental or Hobby
Your flight itinerary and e-ticket number will be posted in your online account at efultimatebreak.com 30 days prior to the scheduled departure for your tour. EF will provide your itinerary only after your account has been paid in full, and after you have agreed to these Booking Conditions (including the Release & Agreement).
Transfers to and from the airport at your destination are included in the tour price for travelers who purchase flights from EF. (If you plan to make a Special Travel Arrangement, please review the Special Travel Arrangement Terms & Conditions for additional details and requirements regarding eligibility for transfers.)
For customers who purchase ‘land only’ (i.e. without flights) from EF:
You may make your own flight arrangements for most itineraries by choosing the “land only” option (without flights). If you select this option, you are responsible for booking your own flights arriving in time for the scheduled start of your tour as published and for arranging your own transportation to and from all airports. Please review the itinerary closely for when tour activities begin based on time zone differences and travel times to said destination from your domestic home gateway.
Please note that EF handles all transportation during your tour, so any flights between cities mentioned on your itinerary are included as part of your tour package.
If it is necessary for EF to change or cancel your travel program in any way (see the Itinerary Modifications section), you are responsible for altering your flight plans accordingly and any costs that result from such changes or cancellations. To avoid these costs, EF recommends that you should not book your own flights or other independent travel arrangements until your trip has been confirmed at 60 days prior to departure.
13. SPECIAL TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS
If you would like to arrive early at your destination, stay behind to explore more, or visit another city, EF can help you to customize your flight travel itinerary to fit your travel preferences. Requests to customize your itinerary are available for a non-refundable special travel fee of $75 plus any additional airline costs incurred. Please note that options are subject to airline availability and EF cannot accommodate requests to arrive after the scheduled start of the tour or to depart before the scheduled end of the tour. Your Special Travel Arrangement is personal travel time, without the services of a Tour Director or the company of your tour group. EF is unable to recommend or book accommodations, airport transfers, sights, or transportation between cities for you during your Special Travel Arrangement. You are responsible for making all these arrangements on your own and the associated costs. EF Ultimate Break strongly recommends that travelers booking their own flights or making their own travel arrangements wait until your tour has been confirmed at 60 days prior to departure.
You can request a Special Travel Arrangement up until 99 days prior to departure through your online account. If EF can confirm your request for a Special Travel Arrangement, your online account will reflect your new travel dates and gateways. You will be charged a $75 non-refundable special travel fee, plus any increase in fare, if applicable. Should your reservation incur additional costs with the airlines, an EF Representative will contact you to discuss your options.
Special Travel Arrangement Terms & Conditions
EF cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate your request for a Special Travel Arrangement. Options are subject to airline availability and additional airline costs, which are the responsibility of the traveler. If you request to fly into or out of a different international gateway, there are often costs incurred. If EF is unable to accommodate your Special Travel Arrangement request, EF’s Standard Cancellation Policy (see section 11. Cancellations and Modifications) still applies.
EF cannot guarantee specific airlines, routings, or flight time preferences. EF also does not guarantee that you and your traveling companion(s) can be booked on the same flight itinerary. Additionally, please note that if you are traveling with a companion who has not made the exact same Special Travel Arrangement, you will most likely not be on the same flight itinerary due to your differing travel dates and/or destinations; this is to be expected even if you are traveling from the same domestic home gateway.
If you purchase the Travel Protection plan through EF, the plan does not provide coverage during any Special Travel Arrangement days. See https://ahptravelcare.com/EFUltimateBreak for official information from the insurance provider about period of coverage.
If you book a Special Travel Arrangement and in doing so elected to alter your arrival or departure flights in any way, EF is unable to arrange airport transfers for you; you are then responsible for arranging your own transportation to the first accommodation at the beginning of tour and back to the airport at the end of tour. In order to qualify for an airport transfer at the beginning of tour, you must arrive from your domestic home gateway to your tour’s international gateway on the scheduled start date as published. To qualify for an airport transfer at the end of tour, you must depart back to your domestic gateway from your tour’s final gateway on the scheduled end date.
It is your responsibility to review the published itinerary and to make your own arrangements to arrive in time for the first scheduled hotel overnight and tour activities, and to depart following the scheduled end date. Please review the itinerary closely for when tour activities begin based on time zone differences and travel times to said destination from your domestic home gateway.
If you book your tour fewer than 99 days prior to departure, you must submit your Special Travel Arrangement request at the time of enrollment.
It is your responsibility to review your Special Travel Arrangement for accuracy. You must submit any changes or additional requests prior to 99 days before departure. At 99 days prior to departure, all Special Travel Arrangement requests are considered final. After this point, changes to travel dates, destination cities, or any other adjustments are subject to penalties or fees determined by the airline; you are responsible for any such costs.
Standard rooming, which is included in the price of the trip, is up to ten people per room of the same gender (male or female). You will be staying in individual beds, twin, double, or bunk beds, with other EF travelers of the same gender from your group. Roommates are chosen randomly. You may submit a request for a specific roommate, and we will do our best to accommodate roommate preferences; however, we cannot guarantee all requests will be accommodated.
You can request roommates upon enrollment or through your online account. Any roommate or rooming upgrade request must be submitted no later than 60 days prior to departure.
We offer two options for a Private Room Upgrade:
1.) You may request to be placed with a traveling companion in private rooming, where available.
2.) You may request a single room (without a roommate.)
Both types of upgrade requests are subject to availability at all accommodations on tour and cannot be guaranteed. All Private Room Upgrade requests must be submitted before 60 days prior to departure via your online account. Please note that certain tours do not allow for Private Room Requests due to availability constraints at the accommodations used.
When you submit a Private Room Upgrade request upon enrollment, it will automatically reflect on your account and the charges outlined below will be added. If we are unable to accommodate the request due to availability constraints, an EF Representative will contact you to discuss your options. Your account will be automatically adjusted to reflect Standard Rooming, and the upgrade costs will be removed from your account. Room upgrade costs are not refundable at less than 60 days prior to departure.
In order to process the upgrade, it is required that both travelers submit separate requests through their online account. Rooming style for this type of upgrade will consist of either twin beds or a shared double bed. This type of rooming upgrade is for an additional fee.
Overnight ferries and cruises provide cabins. These contain up to six fold-out beds that come down from the wall. Private Rooming Upgrades and/or private bathrooms may not be available on overnight ferries.
15. OPTIONAL EXCURSIONS
Optional excursions require a minimum number of participants in order to run; minimum enrollment requirements vary for each excursion and are subject to change. To secure a discounted price and guarantee your place on the excursion, most optional excursions need to be purchased 30 days prior to departure. The majority of excursions can also be purchased on tour at a slightly higher price. However, exact booking deadlines for each excursion may vary and we recommend that you carefully review our website for optional excursion details. Please note that excursion prices and booking deadlines are subject to change.
The cost for optional excursions becomes non-refundable at 30 days prior to departure. Optional excursions purchased within 30 days of departure or on-tour are non-refundable at the time of payment. If your excursion is cancelled by EF on tour, you will be refunded post-tour for the amount you previously paid to book that excursion.
Refunds. Where applicable, refunds will either be mailed via check or credited back to the card used to make the original payment. Refunds via check will be issued in the name that appears on the traveler’s account. Please allow four to six weeks for a refund to be executed. Refunds can only be made back to the same card or checking account used previously, and only up to the amount previously paid on that specific card or checking account. There will be a non-refundable $35 stop-payment fee for lost refund checks.
Food Allergies. Please make your EF Trip Specialist and Tour Director aware of your needs, and we will do our best to ensure that our suppliers are informed of your dietary requirements. However, we cannot guarantee that all requests will be accommodated. Travelers are responsible for making their own arrangements for all in-flight meals.
Items prohibited from tour. For the safety and well-being of all travelers, no firearms or other weapons are permitted on tour except as required by law.
17. PAYMENT PLAN TERMS & CONDITIONS
Should you choose the Automatic Payment Plan or Manual Payment Plan, the following Terms and Conditions apply.
Automatic Payment Plan
• Travelers must select a payment method of either direct debit from a checking account, ATM/debit card, or credit card (card must display the Visa or MasterCard logo).
• A minimum of two monthly or four bi-weekly automatic payments are required. Travelers who are not eligible for the Automatic Payment Plan must pay in full upon enrollment or enroll in the Manual Payment Plan.
Please note: if you would like to enroll in the Automatic Payment Plan with only two monthly or four bi-weekly scheduled payments, a non-refundable deposit of $750 is required at the time of booking.
• Travelers who choose monthly payments must choose a date between the 1st and 26th of the month on which their account will be automatically debited. Travelers who choose bi-weekly payments must choose a weekday (Monday-Friday) on which their account will be automatically debited. Due to weekends and holidays, EF reserves the right to debit the travelers’ account up to three days after the scheduled date.
• The Automatic Payment Plan amounts are subject to change if tour items or payments (other than the Automatic Payment Plan) are added or removed in excess of $20. All other items or payments totaling $20 or less that are added or removed will only be reflected in the final payment.
• After the Automatic Payment Plan’s final scheduled payment, any additional items are due at time of purchase. Payments will no longer be automatically deducted.
• A non-refundable $35 fee will be assessed each time a payment is returned or declined. In these cases, the plan will be recalculated to have the missed payment redistributed across the remaining schedule. EF reserves the right to withdraw travelers from the plan for returns or declines in two consecutive payments. Should the final payment be returned or declined, travelers will automatically be withdrawn from the plan.
• In the event that a traveler’s payment is returned or declined, EF may require the traveler to make up the missed payment in order to remain enrolled on the tour.
• Should the traveler opt to withdraw from the plan or is withdrawn by EF, the traveler will be enrolled in the Manual Payment Plan.
• If paying by debit card, a secondary debit card is recommended for backup in the event the primary card is declined. No fee will be assessed if the secondary card is approved. For direct debit, we do not allow a backup payment method. Unfortunately, EF is not currently able to store a backup payment method for direct debit payments.
Manual Payment Plan
• If travelers do not pay in full upon enrollment or choose the Automatic Payment Plan, they will be enrolled in the Manual Payment Plan, and a $50 plan fee will be applied.
• An initial payment of $450 is due upon booking and the following payment schedule applies:
o If the traveler elects to add Travel Protection to their account, payment for the Travel Protection plan is due at the time of enrollment
o Additional payments can then be paid at the traveler’s discretion up until the final payment date
o Final balance is due at 99 days prior to departure
o A late fee of $95 will be assessed for any missed payment(s). All late fees are non-refundable.
• A non-refundable $35 fee will be assessed each time a payment is returned or declined.
• Travelers are responsible for making on-time payments per the schedule above. Failure to make payments on time may result in tour cancellation.
• All payment due dates refer to the dates by which each payment must be received by EF.
• EF reserves the right to cancel the traveler’s reservation if any payment is past due in which case EF’s Standard Cancellation Policy (see Cancellations and Modifications section) will apply.
• Travelers can pay by direct debit, with ATM/debit cards or credit cards with the Visa or MasterCard logo
• Payments can be made at efultimatebreak.com via travelers online accounts or by calling 800-766-2645.
18. EF ULTIMATE BREAK SUPPLEMENTAL BOOKING CONDITIONS FOR ULTIMATE EARTH TOURS
The following supplemental Booking Conditions apply to travelers enrolling on an EF Ultimate Earth tour. These supplemental Booking Conditions apply in addition to, and not in lieu of, EF Ultimate Break’s Booking Conditions. In the event the terms below directly conflict with the EF Ultimate Break Booking Conditions, the terms set forth below will prevail.
A reservation fee of $500 is required for an EF Ultimate Earth tour. The reservation fee is fully refundable if you cancel within 48 hours following enrollment. After 48 hours, the reservation fee becomes non-refundable and the Ultimate Earth cancellation terms set forth below apply. EF may, from time to time, offer promotional enrollment periods that extend to EF Ultimate Earth bookings that require only a limited initial payment towards the $500 non-refundable reservation fee. In those circumstances, the promotional initial payment becomes non-refundable immediately and the EF Ultimate Earth cancellation terms set forth below will immediately apply. The balance of the Ultimate Earth reservation fee will then become due in accordance with the traveler’s Automatic or Manual pay scheduled and will be non-refundable at the time of payment.
EF Ultimate Break Waitlist Booking Conditions for the Ultimate Earth departures
We will accept waitlist reservations for the EF Ultimate Earth tour. You will need to pay the $500 reservation fee in order to secure a place on the waitlist. If we are unable to confirm your reservation by 99 days prior to departure, your reservation fee will be refunded in full. If we can confirm your reservation, the reservation fee becomes immediately non-refundable and the Ultimate Earth payment and cancellation policies in this section will apply. To avoid cancellation fees, once off the waitlist you will need to make any necessary payments consistent with the EF Ultimate Earth payment schedule set forth in this section. You may cancel off the waitlist prior to confirmation of your reservation at any point prior to 99 days prior to departure and we will refund your $500 reservation in full.
EF Ultimate Break Payment Policy for EF Ultimate Earth departures
Once you are booked, in order to secure your reservation and remain booked on the Ultimate Earth departures, the following payment conditions must be met. Failure to do so will result in cancellation from the trip and you will be subject to the EF Ultimate Earth cancellation terms in this section:
• By 360 days to departure = $1,000 must be paid
• By 240 days = $3,000 must be paid
• By 180 days = $9,000 must be paid
• By 120 days = $12,000 must be paid
• By 99 days prior to departure = Must be Paid in Full
Due to TSA security and operational reservations, you must also provide EF Ultimate Break with your name and birth date exactly as it appears on your passport 99 Days prior to departure. Failure to provide this information by the due date could result in cancellation from the trip and any corresponding cancellation fees. This Payment Policy and the paid in full deadline supersedes all other payment terms within the Ultimate Break Booking Conditions, including Automatic Payment Plan terms.
EF Ultimate Break Cancellation Policy for the Ultimate Earth departures
Based on the date EF receives notification of your cancellation and your acceptance of the cancellation terms, you will be refunded for the balance paid minus the EF Ultimate Earth cancellation fee and any non-refundable fees. Non-refundable fees in addition to the applicable cancellation fee include, where applicable, the cost of Travel Protection, late enrollment fees, name change fees, declined credit/debit card fees, late payment fees, manual payment fees, returned check fees, and stop payment fees. In addition to notifying us of your cancellation in writing, we also recommend you call so that we can best review your options.
EF Ultimate Earth Cancellation Policy
200+ days prior to departure: Full refund less a $500 cancellation fee and all non-refundable fees
199-101 days prior to departure: Full refund less a $1,000 cancellation fee and all non-refundable fees
99-61 days prior to departure: Full refund less a $6,000 cancellation fee and all non-refundable fees
60 days or less prior to departure: No refund will be issued
19. PROTECTION FOR YOUR PAYMENTS
Your tour money has protection in the unlikely event of EF bankruptcy, insolvency or cessation of business under our participation in the United States Tour Operators Association (USTOA) $1 Million Travelers Assistance Program. For program details and a list of its affiliates contact USTOA by mail at 275 Madison Avenue, Suite 2014, NY, NY 10016, by email at [email protected] or online at USTOA.com.
20. PERSONAL DATA
EF will process your personal data in compliance with applicable data protection legislation for the purposes of completing your enrollment, customer service, the purchase of an offered travel coverage plan, and providing you with the products and services related to your tour. This may entail sharing your personal data with corporate affiliates, claims handlers, insurance providers, and other business partners both within and outside the U.S., including to and within the EEA/Switzerland. We have put appropriate safeguards in place for such transfers of your personal data, including the standard data protection clauses adopted by the European Commission. EF may also use your personal data, combined with data from third parties to market products and services based on your interests, including by email and SMS/text. You may contact EF at any time to unsubscribe from any direct marketing purposes.
EF will only keep your personal data for as long as it is necessary for the purposes for which it has been collected or in accordance with time limits stipulated by law and good market practice, unless further retention is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation or for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims. We will keep your personal data for marketing purposes until you withdraw your consent.
If you have questions about the processing or use of your personal data, would like to have a copy of the information EF holds about you, or have inaccurate personal data corrected or erased, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-766-2645.
21. OTHER TERMS AND PROVISIONS
The terms and provisions of these Booking Conditions supersede any other warranties, representations, terms or conditions, unless they are expressly stated within a Booking Conditions Addendum or in a letter signed by an EF officer.
Enrolling travelers acknowledge that EF may change the Booking Condition terms from time to time and those changes become effectively immediately. Notice will be provided to you in the event of a material change. A traveler's continued use of EF's services following such notice constitutes acceptance and agreement to be bound by such changes. Travelers agree that the current version of the Booking Conditions in effect at the time of travel or cancellation applies to their tour program.
The tour operator for your trip is EF World Journeys International Ltd., Selnaustrasse 30, 8001, Zurich Switzerland, organization number: CHE-417.808.998, VAT number: CHE-331.949.628 MWST. EF World Journeys, Inc., located at Two Education Circle, Cambridge, MA [t: 800-766-2645], is a marketing service provider for that company, does not provide any goods or services for your trip. The services provided are tax-exempt with credit in accordance with Swiss Federal Law with regard to VAT Article #23.
EF is a registered “Seller of Travel” as defined by travel regulations in the following states: Florida (Reg. No. ST42668); California (Reg. No. 2060043-20); Washington (Reg. No. 601794226).
RELEASE & AGREEMENT
I (or parent or guardian if enrollee is under the age of 18 or a minor under any other applicable law) am an enrollee for an EF Ultimate Break tour. By signing or electronically submitting the EF Ultimate Break Application, I understand and agree to the following:
- I acknowledge and understand that my tour is operated outside of the U.S. by EF World Journeys International Ltd. Switzerland, and that EF World Journeys, Inc. acts only as a marketing service provider for that company. If I am participating in a domestic tour in the U.S., I understand that a portion of my tour may be operated by EF Explore America, Inc., a U.S. affiliate.
- EF World Journeys International Ltd, EF World Journeys, Inc., EF Education First International Ltd., EF Explore America, Inc. and their affiliated companies, partners and any companies acting on their behalf, along with their officers, directors, employees, independent contractors, agents, and authorized representatives (collectively referred herein as “EF”) do not own or operate any entity which is to or does provide goods or services for my program, including, for example, arrangements for or ownership or control over hotels, houses, apartments or other lodging facilities, tour directors, airline, vessel, bus or other transportation companies, local ground operators, visa processing services, providers or organizers of additional excursions, food service or entertainment providers, etc. I acknowledge that all such persons and entities, specifically the Tour Director assigned to my tour, are independent contractors and not employees of or employed by EF.
- Without limitation, EF is not responsible for any injury, loss or damage to person or property, death, disease, sickness, delay or inconvenience in connection with the provision of any goods or services occasioned by or resulting from any event of cause beyond the direct control of EF or as a result of any negligent or willful act or failure to act of any third party. These matters include but are not limited to: “acts of God” or events of force majeure; epidemics, pandemics, plagues, outbreaks of infection diseases, mass-illness or other public health issues or emergencies (such as but not limited to the current COVID-19 pandemic); acts of government; acts of war (whether declared or undeclared) or civil unrest, insurrection or revolt; strikes or other labor activities; criminal, terrorist or threatened terrorist activities of any kind; overbooking or downgrading of accommodations; structural or other defective conditions in houses, apartments or other lodging facilities (or in any heating, plumbing, electrical or structural problem therein); mechanical or other failure of airplanes or other means of transportation or for any failure of any transportation mechanism to arrive or depart timely or safely; financial failure or other defaults by suppliers; dangers associated with water-based activities; dangers associated with or bites from animals, insects or pests; sanitation problems; food poisoning; lack of availability of, access to, or quality of medical care; or difficulty in evacuation in case of a medical or other emergency.
- I agree to release EF from, and agree not to sue EF for, any and all claims, of any nature related in any manner to my participation in an EF-sponsored tour, including but not limited to, claims for negligence, breach of contract, breach of express or implied warranties, negligence or wrongful death or any statutorily based claim. I hereby unconditionally and unequivocally waive any and all claims and demands for all damages, losses, costs and expenses of any nature whatsoever (including attorneys’ fees) on account of or arising out of any and all personal injury, death, bodily injury, mental anguish, emotional distress, property or other damage that I may suffer from any cause whatsoever related in any way to my participation in any EF-sponsored tour. I agree that this release applies to and binds myself along with my personal representatives, executors, heirs, and family.
- I further agree to release EF from any and all decisions to cancel, modify or delay the tour as a result of unforeseeable events that are beyond the reasonable control of EF, that make the tour impossible or impracticable to conduct, or which become necessary or advisable for my safety or for the quality of the tour experience. I acknowledge and agree that this release includes and applies to activities not offered by EF on my tour but that I may have the opportunity to participate in and that may be considered risky including, but not limited to, parasailing, paragliding, parachuting, skydiving, scuba (unless certified), and the use of motorbikes, mopeds, scooters and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs).
- I understand that travel in other nations is not similar to travel within the United States. Travel outside of the United States can involve inconvenience and risk, including, but not limited to, sickness, disease, forces of nature, geographic and climatic conditions, different hygienic standards, infrastructure problems (including road maintenance, transportation delays and accommodation conditions), civil unrest, vandalism, crime, political instability, and terrorism. Medical services or facilities may not be readily available or available at all during all or part of a program and, if available, may not be equal to standards in my home country. I further understand that different parts of the world present unique health, disease, and safety concerns, and I agree to review any specific risks related to my destination by visiting the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Traveler’s Health website at http://www.cdc.gov/travel and the U.S. State Department’s International Travel website at travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel.html. I assume all risk of bodily injury, death, emotional trauma, property damage, inconvenience, and/or loss resulting from negligence or any other acts of any and all persons or entities, however caused, including, but not limited to, those risks mentioned above. It is my intention fully to assume all of the risks of travel and participation in the program and to release EF from any and all liabilities to the maximum extent permitted by law.
- EF shall have no liability or responsibility for me whatsoever when I am absent from EF-supervised activities or for non-EF supervised activities, such as free time, visits to friends or relatives, Special Travel Arrangements, or during stay-ahead, stay-behind or any optional periods or activities when not escorted by a Tour Director.
- My tour begins with the takeoff from the departure airport and ends upon completion of the flight back to the origination (or other arrival) airport. If I have purchased a Land-Only Package, I understand that my tour begins with my arrival at the first accommodation arranged by EF on my itinerary and ends with my departure from the final accommodation arranged by EF on my itinerary and does not include flights between cities. The official length of an EF Ultimate Break tour does not include Special Travel Arrangements.
- The air carrier’s liability for loss of or damage to baggage or property, or for death or injury to person, is subject to and limited by the airlines’ contract of carriage, its tariff, the Montreal Convention or Warsaw Convention and their amendments or both.
- EF reserves the right to refuse or cancel my registration at its sole discretion. In such event, the Standard Cancellation Policy and associated fees as outlined in the Cancellations and Modifications section of the Booking Conditions apply.
- I agree to abide by EF’s regulations and the directions of my Tour Director and EF’s personnel during my tour. These regulations include but are not limited to prohibitions on hitchhiking, the driving or renting of any motor vehicle, possession and/or usage of drugs, overindulgent alcohol consumption, disruptive actions to the tour group, damage to hotel property, or causing or threatening to cause physical harm to myself or another person. I understand and agree that EF may dismiss me from the tour at any time and at my sole expense for the failure to follow such rules or directions or for any other reason that EF deems in its sole discretion requires my dismissal from the tour. I understand that in the event I am dismissed from the tour for any reason, I waive the right to a refund of any part of my program price, and that EF may then send me home at my own expense. EF is not responsible for arranging my transport home.
- I agree to abide by all local laws, regulations, and governmental advisories for all locations of my tour when abroad, including those concerning drugs and alcohol. I understand that if I refuse to follow, abuse or disobey such laws, even unintentionally, I waive my right to a refund of any part of the program price, and EF may send me home at my own expense. I also understand that should local authorities be involved, I will be subject to the laws of the country I am visiting. Actions resulting in incarceration will result in immediate termination from the tour, and I agree to waive the right to a refund of any portion of my program price. EF is not responsible for any legal fees or travel arrangements.
- If I become ill or incapacitated, EF, EF’s employees, or my Tour Director may take any action they deem necessary for my safety and well-being, including securing medical treatment and transporting me home at my own expense. EF retains the right, in its sole discretion, to contact the Emergency Contact listed on my enrollment form with regard to health issues or any matter whatsoever that relates to my tour. These rights transcend any and all privacy regulations that may apply. In the event of a medical emergency, EF will attempt to cause appropriate treatment to be administered, and I authorize EF to do so. EF, however, makes no warranty that it will be able to cause effective (or any) emergency treatment to be administered or to be timely administered and EF will not be responsible for monitoring any health care that I may necessitate.
- I understand and agree to abide by the time scheduled by my Tour Director for departures from itinerary locations, including city departures. Failure to be on time for a scheduled departure may result in the Tour Director and tour group leaving without me, and I will have to make my own arrangements at my own expense to reconvene with the group. EF is not responsible for arranging such transportation.
- EF has the right to make changes in tour itineraries and departure dates, and to modify transportation arrangements, including the use of substitute airlines. In the event of such changes, travelers who choose to cancel will be subject to EF’s Standard Cancellation Policy (see Cancellations and Modifications section).
- It is my responsibility to secure the necessary travel documents and to satisfy any applicable entry or exit requirements (e.g., passport and visa[s], vaccination requirements or records, medical testing, or other required medical records) for all locations on my tour (including locations visited during transit). Failure to do so does not constitute grounds for a refund except as provided in the Standard Cancellation Policy outlined in the Booking Conditions for an EF Ultimate Break tour (see Cancellations and Modifications section).
- EF is not responsible for loss of passports, airline tickets, or other documents, or for loss of or damage to luggage or any other passenger belongings. In the case of a lost paper airline ticket or missing EF booked flight, I acknowledge that I am solely responsible for meeting the airline’s requirements (both logistical and financial) for ticket replacement.
- I will be required to pay for any phone calls or incidental personal expenses that I incur at hotels or other accommodations, as well as any costs incurred (including repair, replacement and cleaning fees) for property damage, destruction or theft I cause while on an EF Ultimate Break tour. I agree to immediately report any pre-existing damage to a representative of EF and staff of the accommodation, transportation service, or facility as soon as possible upon discovery.
- I represent that I will be between the ages of 18 and 35 for the full duration of my tour program. I also understand and acknowledge that this tour has been designed for persons within this age range, as reflected in the pacing, content, accommodations, and other aspects of the tour. I represent that I understand the pacing, content, accommodations, and other aspects of the tour upon which I have enrolled, and that I have discussed with EF any limitations that may make it difficult or impossible for me to participate in this tour as designed.
- These Booking Conditions including this Release and Agreement) for an EF Ultimate Break tour constitute the entire agreement between EF and me with reference to the subject matter herein, and I do not rely upon any promises, inducements or agreements not herein, including but not limited to any oral statements made to me by any agents or employees of EF. This agreement may be amended or modified only in a writing signed by EF. The waiver by EF of any provision of this agreement shall in no way affect the remaining provisions of this agreement, and this agreement shall be interpreted as if such clause or provision were not contained herein.
- I understand and agree that this agreement and performance hereunder shall be governed in all respects by the substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. In the event of any claim, dispute or proceeding arising out of my relationship with EF, or any claim which arises between the Parties, whether or not related to this agreement, the literature for the trip, or the trip itself, all parties submit and consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and/or the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
- EF or its representatives, agents or consultants may use any photographic, film, digital, or video likeness taken of me, any of my comments while on an EF tour, and any of my photographic, film, digital, or video content shared by me with EF through any format for future publicity or marketing without compensation to me and also may use my contact information for future EF promotions.
If your application is taken over the phone, you must login into your secure account at efultimatebreak.com immediately to agree to this agreement.
Failure to agree to the Booking Conditions and Release & Agreement will result in you forfeiting your travel, and you will be subject to the Standard Cancellation Policy in EF Ultimate Break’s Booking Conditions.