Hawaii: Big Island Adventure
Hawaii is one of the world’s most popular island destination for a reason. It’s the only U.S. state that produces coffee. The only state with a royal palace. And the only place you can swim with dolphins, hike the world’s largest volcano, and relax with a fresh-caught bowl of poké and an ice-cold mai tai…all in one day. So if you want to say “oooh” and “ahhh” and “wow, a double rainbow!” at unprecedented rates, waft permanently mango-scented air, and meet the most laid-back people, Hawaii is the place for you.
What are the top highlights?
- Gawk at the 80 ft Rainbow Falls and cross your fingers for a double rainbow sighting
- Feel and fly like a bird as you zipline above the treetops in Hilo
- Fall in love with lava at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Watch sea turtles crawl on darker than normal sand at Punalu’u Black Sand Beach
- Snorkel with some stunning, somersaulting manta rays in Kona
- Partake in a traditional luau feast, complete with traditional eating and drinking
Your trip includes
- Round-trip flights
- Private airport pickup & transfers
- Private transportation in coach bus
- 7 nights in hand-picked accommodations
- Daily breakfasts, & a three-course farewell luau
- Welcome Mixer with appetizers & drinks
- Full-time Tour Director
- Expert local guides
- Entrance to Volcanoes National Park & other select attractions
You’ll stay at accommodations hand-picked by our team of local experts, in rooms only for EF Ultimate Break travelers. Each property is located in a safe, convenient area. You’ll receive your exact accommodations 30 days before your trip departs.
Admit it, booking flights is the worst. Here's why you should let us do it for you:
- Flight costs are included in your monthly payment plan, so you can pay over time
- Airport transfers are included, so we’ll be waiting, sign in hand
- Flights are booked with major airlines
- 24/7 support no matter what time zone you’re in
- One checked bag included on most flights
- Option to make changes to your trip up to 99 days before departure
Booking with a friend? Let us know and we’ll do our best to make sure you’re on the same flight. Still want to book your own flights? That’s cool, simply select ‘No flights included’ instead of your departure city in the ‘Flights from’ dropdown.
Day 1: Arrive in Kailua-Kona & Welcome Event
Aloha! Get ready for an action-packed week on one of the world’s most isolated islands, praised and sought-after by travelers around the globe.
- Arrive at the airport in Kailua-Kona where you’ll meet an EF representative.
- Transfer to your hotel to check in and check out your room.
- Receive the latest schedule from your Tour Director.
- Meet your fellow travelers as they arrive, then keep the festivities going at a Welcome Luau.
In the evening, it’s time for your Welcome Mixer. Enjoy appetizers and drinks with fellow travelers.
Day 2: Explore Kailua-Kona and Manta Ray Snorkeling
If Kailua-Kona (or Kona, as the locals call it) was good enough for King Kamehameha I, it’s good enough for you. Once a political capital, and later a royal family vacation spot, it’s easy to see what drew Hawaiian royalty here. It’s got it all: turquoise water, black sand beaches, and more palm trees than you can shake a Spam sandwich at.
- Take in the sights, smells, and stories of Kailua-Kona on a walking tour that includes Ali’i Drive, the end of which is referred to as *gulp* the End of the World.
- Stop on Ali’i Drive for souvenir shopping and lunch—fresh ahi tuna, anyone?
- Boat along Kona Coast to the manta viewing site, where a guide will help you snorkel above manta rays while they somersault, glide, and pivot in the light below.
Day 3: Kona Coffee Tour & Cloud Forest & Optional Mauna Kea Stargazing
Learn how coffee goes from plant to bean to brew during a Kona Coffee Tour. Sip on Hawaii’s prized Kona java brewed from the coffee cherries grown in mountainous and volcanic soil. Once you’re nice and caffeinated, switch gears and walk through the Kona Cloud Forest, a tropical sanctuary spanning over 70 acres!
- Caffeinate. Kona. Coffee. Now say that three times fast.
- Learn why Hawaii’s java is so expensive. You’ve got to taste it to believe it.
- Trek through ancient bamboo, ferns, and other native plants in the Kona Cloud Forest
- Embark in optional nighttime stargazing on top of Mauna Kea
Optional Mauna Kea Stargazing will be available for purchase after June 15th, 2020!
Day 4: Beach Day in Kona
Kailua-Kona and its beautiful beaches are all yours today. In the afternoon, choose to partake in an optional snorkeling adventure in Kealakekua Marine Preserve.
- Soak up the laid-back lifestyle of Kailua-Kona at one of its sandy beaches.
- Embark on an optional snorkeling adventure in Kealakekua Marine Preserve.
Day 5: Punalu'u Black Sand Beach & Tour Hilo
Aloha Kona, Aloha Hilo! Prepare for the adrenaline-filled days ahead complete with Black Sand beaches, volcanoes, ziplining, and more. Hilo is the largest settlement on the Big Island, and boasts epic waterfalls and tranquil gardens in addition to its adrenaline-packed activities.
- Snap an envy-worthy insta’ at Black Sand Beach on your way from Kailua-Kona to Hilo.
- See Sea Turtles in their natural habitat as they crawl over the black sand into the ocean.
- Play Israel Kamakawiwo’ole’s version of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” on Spotify while you gaze at the 80-foot Rainbow Falls waterfall.
- Observe Japanese influence on Hawaiian culture at the Lili’uokalani Gardens’ many pagodas, ponds, and Shinto gates.
Day 6: Hawaii Volcanoes National Park & Crater Rim Trail
Today might just be the best day of your life. You get to visit Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and hike through some of the world’s most unique landscapes and active volcanoes. If that’s not enough to get your heart pumping, take a walk on the wild side at Crater Rim Trail. They say that the presence of gasses and steam on the trail confirms that Pele, the volcano goddess, still resides here.
- Get to know the Big Island’s two most famous active volcanoes: Kilauea, and Mauna Loa, on a morning hike through the park.
- Remain calm when you realize you’re in the presence of a celebrity—Mauna Loa is the world’s largest above-water volcano.
- Marvel at vistas, desert terrains, and rain forest on Crater’s Rim, a trail circling Kilauea's summit caldera.
Day 7: Ziplining & Farewell Luau
Today is your last full day on the island, so it’s time to live it up! Get the adrenaline pumping this morning ziplining up to 65 miles per hour over rushing waterfalls, suspension bridges, and treetops, all while taking in panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean. And then top it all off with a traditional luau when the sun goes down.
- Spend the morning cruising above the trees and waterfalls on a zipline adventure.
- Soak up the laid-back lifestyle of Kailua-Kona at one of its sandy beaches.
- Find the perfect Hawaiian shirt in town for your Farewell Luau in the evening.
Share some last laughs (and maybe shed a few tears) at an included farewell luau feast and drinks with the group.
Day 8-9: Fly & Arrive Home
Maikaʻi, mau hoaaloha
Translation: Goodbye, friends. Your next destination awaits—home. Before you head to the airport, enjoy your last few moments together. Take one more group photo. Grab that final drink. (Fine, maybe a couple of drinks.) But this isn’t goodbye. It’s “See you later.” The only question is, where?
– or –
EXTEND YOUR TRIP 2 WAYS
1. Double the fun
A lot of our trips line up back to back! Give us a call—we can help you add another and save big while you're at it.
2. Go ahead or stay behind
Extending your trip is easy! During checkout, you'll have the option to fly to (or from) the gateway of your choice for an additional fee. We'll adjust your flights accordingly, but you'll be responsible to take care of your transportation, hotels, and other logistics outside of tour.
Note: Depending on your desired gateways, additional fees may apply.