Ancient history meets epic relaxation meets pasta on this 11-day trip through Italy and the Greek Islands. Envision yourself as a Gladiator in the Colosseum of Ancient Rome, explore the beauty of Southern Italy, nerd out on all things Greek mythology in Delphi, and unwind on a white sand beach, drink in hand, on one of Greece’s breathtaking islands: Corfu. After all that, travel back in time to where Western Civilization began on the Acropolis of Athens.
What are the top highlights?
- Visit the ruins of the Colosseum in Rome, where you can picture yourself as a gladiator (or one of the 80,000 spectators)
- Get a taste of the Mediterranean way of life with the best local food and wine
- Go on a fascinating tour of Pompeii, the city devastated by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 AD
- Explore the area around Naples, where pizza is said to have originated
- Soak up the sun, and gawk at the crystal-clear water on the beaches of Corfu
- Explore the many collections of the Delphi Archeological Museum, one of Greece’s most popular museums
- Walk to the top of Athens’ ancient and famous Acropolis
Your trip includes
- Round-trip flights & airport transfers
- Multilingual Tour Director & local guides
- Private deluxe motorcoach
- 9 nights in hand-picked accommodations
- Welcome Dinner with drinks
- Daily breakfast & three-course Farewell Dinner
- Metro passes in Rome and Athens
- Skip-the-line entrances to select attractions
You’ll stay at accommodations hand-picked by our team of local experts, in rooms only for EF Ultimate Break travelers. Each property is located in a safe, convenient area. You’ll receive your exact accommodations 30 days before your trip departs.
Click **here **for examples of where you'll stay!
Admit it, booking flights is the worst. Here's why you should let us do it for you:
- Flight costs are included in your monthly payment plan, so you can pay over time
- Airport transfers are included, so we’ll be waiting, sign in hand
- Flights are booked with major airlines
- 24/7 support no matter what time zone you’re in
- One checked bag included on most flights
- Option to make changes to your trip up to 99 days before departure
Booking with a friend? Let us know and we’ll do our best to make sure you’re on the same flight. Still want to book your own flights? That’s cool, simply select ‘No flights included’ instead of your departure city in the ‘Flights from’ dropdown.
- Day 1: Overnight flight
Board your overnight flight, bound for Italy. Get ready to eat spaghetti on penne on linguine on fettuccine on gnocchi on ravioli on chocolate gelato (not literally, but maybe literally).
- Day 2: Arrive in Rome + Welcome Dinner
Welcome to Rome, Italy’s capital city that is bursting at the seams with energy. Locals fill the streets, day and night, usually doing something that involves eating or drinking. And how can you blame them when pasta, pizza, gelato, coffee, and wine are everywhere you look? Rome is all big city/ancient ruins, served with a side of spaghetti.
- Meet an EF representative at the airport.
- Transfer to your accommodations and check in.
- Meet your fellow travelers as they arrive.
- Take a guided tour of some top sights around Rome.
In the evening, enjoy a Welcome Dinner of local cuisine and drinks with fellow travelers at an authentic local spot. Afterwards, you’re free to take the party elsewhere!
- Day 3: Tour Rome + Optional Vatican Excursion
They say all roads lead to Rome, but once you’re there you quickly realize that all roads actually lead to restaurants. Take the morning to satisfy your cravings and sip some espresso, then see perhaps the most staggeringly important building you can possibly see in Europe: the Roman Colosseum.
- Tour the city with a local guide who will show you why Rome is one of the most legendary cities in Europe.
- Experience the heart of ancient Rome with a visit to the Forum, once a hub of activity for the city.
- Stand in the Colosseum, where gladiators battled to the death in mortal combat, and be glad you live in the 21st century.
- See the ruins of several Roman temples, including the Temple of the Vestal Virgins.
A Visit to the Vatican (extra cost)
Visit the Pope’s house: Vatican City. Take a guided tour of the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's Basilica, and get your dose of art history up close and personal—viewing Michelangelo's famed Sistine Chapel frescoes.
This excursion is pre-book only; please call 800-766-2645 to purchase if your trip is less than 30 days away.
- Day 4: Travel to Naples Region via Pompeii
As you make your way to the Naples Region, join a local guide for a walking tour of the ancient city of Pompeii, which stands frozen in time after Mt. Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD, completely destroying the town.
- Travel back to imperial Roman times and learn about Pompeii, the city covered in volcanic ash.
- Look up at Mt. Vesuvius, the deadly volcano that annihilated this city almost 2,000 years ago.
- Experience the buildings, artifacts and even people that have been extremely well preserved over the years.
- Day 5: Free day in Naples Region or Optional Capri Excursion
The day is yours to do as you wish. Like enjoy the thing that Naples is known for: that bready, cheesy, tomato sauce topped stuff we call pizza. Or join your Tour Director for an excursion to Capri. Trust us, you haven’t lived lavishly until you’ve cruised around the island of Capri.
Capri Cruisin' (extra cost)
Ferry across the Bay of Naples then around the Isle of Capri, gawking at the incredible Arco Naturale and the famous Faraglioni rocks. Then travel by funicular railway to the ancient mountaintop island resort.
Why wait? Save money by booking this optional excursion before your trip departs.
- Day 6: Explore the Amalfi Coast + Overnight Ferry to Corfu
The Amalfi Coast is a 30+ mile stretch of coastline that happens to be pure Italian perfection—quaint towns, high cliffs towering over crashing Mediterranean waves, and enchanting views that never end. Today, you get to see al of it for yourself. Ready your camera, make room in your stomach for cake, and don’t even think about blinking. Okay you can blink. But quickly—you don’t want to miss this.
- Travel by bus along the picturesque Amalfi Coast with a local guide.
- Enjoy a guided walking tour as you make your way to the hilltop town of Ravello.
- Explore the impressive, perfectly manicured Villa Rufolo Gardens, and don’t forget to take a moment to look down at the deep blue sea below.
- Head into a local pastry shop for a tasting (you know, for science) of some authentic Italian lemon cake.
- Hop on the bus and head to Bari, where you'll catch the overnight ferry to Corfu, Greece.
- Day 7: Arrive in Corfu
Welcome to Corfu, an island that boasts an abundance of green trees, pristine beaches, and 6,000 species of herbs and flowers. Attention all martini lovers: this place is for you. Because what sets Corfu apart from other Greek islands are the olive trees. 16th century Venetians started planting them, and now there are said to be 3-4 million of them on the island.
- Feel that sweet, sweet middle school nostalgia as you learn that in Homer’s epic poem, Odysseus washed ashore on this very island.
- Settle in, and head out to explore the city of Corfu with your Tour Director.
- Check out Spianada Square, the largest square in Greece, and lay your eyes on Achilleion, a big ol’ summer palace built for an Austrian empress in 1888.
- Day 8: Free day in Corfu or Optional Paxos Cruise and Blue Caves
Today is all about options. You can stay in Corfu to do some more exploring and beach hanging, or you could join the optional cruise excursion to Paxos and the Blue Caves. No matter what you choose to do, you’re in paradise, so it’s sure to be a great day.
Free Time Suggestions
Old Town: Walk through Corfu’s Old Town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, full of quaint cobblestone streets (leave the stilettos at home) and pastel-colored buildings.
The beach: Pick a beach, any beach. Seriously, with 130+ miles of coastline, you have a lot to choose from. And they’re all beautiful. The most popular are Paleokastritsa Beach, Ipsos Beach, Dassia Beach, Canal D'Amour (Channel of Love).
Paxos Cruise and Blue Caves (extra cost)
Time to get out on the water for the day. Depart from Corfu port, taking in the views of Old Town, Kanoni peninsula, and t