Ancient history meets epic relaxation meets pasta on this 11-day trip through Italy and the Greek Islands. Envision yourself as a Gladiator in the Colosseum of Ancient Rome, explore the beauty of Southern Italy, nerd out on all things Greek mythology in Delphi, and unwind on a white sand beach, drink in hand, on one of Greece’s breathtaking islands: Corfu. After all that, travel back in time to where Western Civilization began on the Acropolis of Athens.
What are the top highlights?
- Visit the ruins of the Colosseum in Rome, where you can picture yourself as a gladiator (or one of the 80,000 spectators)
- Get a taste of the Mediterranean way of life with the best local food and wine
- Go on a fascinating tour of Pompeii, the city devastated by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 AD
- Explore the area around Naples, where pizza is said to have originated
- Soak up the sun, and gawk at the crystal-clear water on the beaches of Corfu
- Explore the many collections of the Delphi Archeological Museum, one of Greece’s most popular museums
- Walk to the top of Athens’ ancient and famous Acropolis
Your trip includes
- Round-trip flights & airport transfers
- Multilingual Tour Director & local guides
- Private deluxe motorcoach
- 9 nights in hand-picked accommodations
- Welcome Dinner with drinks
- Daily breakfast & three-course Farewell Dinner
- Metro passes in Rome and Athens
- Skip-the-line entrances to select attractions
You’ll stay at accommodations hand-picked by our team of local experts, in rooms only for EF Ultimate Break travelers. Each property is located in a safe, convenient area. You’ll receive your exact accommodations 30 days before your trip departs.
Click **here **for examples of where you'll stay!
Admit it, booking flights is the worst. Here's why you should let us do it for you:
- Flight costs are included in your monthly payment plan, so you can pay over time
- Airport transfers are included, so we’ll be waiting, sign in hand
- Flights are booked with major airlines
- 24/7 support no matter what time zone you’re in
- One checked bag included on most flights
- Option to make changes to your trip up to 99 days before departure
Booking with a friend? Let us know and we’ll do our best to make sure you’re on the same flight. Still want to book your own flights? That’s cool, simply select ‘No flights included’ instead of your departure city in the ‘Flights from’ dropdown.
- Day 1: Overnight flight
Board your overnight flight, bound for Italy. Get ready to eat spaghetti on penne on linguine on fettuccine on gnocchi on ravioli on chocolate gelato (not literally, but maybe literally).
- Day 2: Arrive in Rome + Welcome Dinner
Welcome to Rome, Italy’s capital city that is bursting at the seams with energy. Locals fill the streets, day and night, usually doing something that involves eating or drinking. And how can you blame them when pasta, pizza, gelato, coffee, and wine are everywhere you look? Rome is all big city/ancient ruins, served with a side of spaghetti.
- Meet an EF representative at the airport.
- Transfer to your accommodations and check in.
- Meet your fellow travelers as they arrive.
- Take a guided tour of some top sights around Rome.
In the evening, enjoy a Welcome Dinner of local cuisine and drinks with fellow travelers at an authentic local spot. Afterwards, you’re free to take the party elsewhere!
- Day 3: Tour Rome + Optional Vatican Excursion
They say all roads lead to Rome, but once you’re there you quickly realize that all roads actually lead to restaurants. Take the morning to satisfy your cravings and sip some espresso, then see perhaps the most staggeringly important building you can possibly see in Europe: the Roman Colosseum.
- Tour the city with a local guide who will show you why Rome is one of the most legendary cities in Europe.
- Experience the heart of ancient Rome with a visit to the Forum, once a hub of activity for the city.
- Stand in the Colosseum, where gladiators battled to the death in mortal combat, and be glad you live in the 21st century.
- See the ruins of several Roman temples, including the Temple of the Vestal Virgins.
A Visit to the Vatican (extra cost)
Visit the Pope’s house: Vatican City. Take a guided tour of the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's Basilica, and get your dose of art history up close and personal—viewing Michelangelo's famed Sistine Chapel frescoes.
This excursion is pre-book only; please call 800-766-2645 to purchase if your trip is less than 30 days away.
- Day 4: Travel to Naples Region + Amalfi Coast Day Trip
Make your way to the Naples Region and explore the Amalfi Coast. The Amalfi Coast is a 30+ mile stretch of coastline that happens to be pure Italian perfection—quaint towns, high cliffs towering over crashing Mediterranean waves, and enchanting views that never end. Today, you get to see all of it for yourself. Ready your camera, make room in your stomach for cake, and don’t even think about blinking. Okay you can blink. But quickly—you don’t want to miss this.
- Enjoy a guided walking tour as you make your way to the hilltop town of Ravello.
- Explore the impressive, perfectly manicured Villa Rufolo Gardens, and don’t forget to take a moment to look down at the deep blue sea below.
- Head into a local pastry shop for a tasting (you know, for science) of some authentic Italian lemon cake.
- Day 5: Free day in Naples Region or Optional Capri Excursion
The day is yours to do as you wish. Like enjoy the thing that Naples is known for: that bready, cheesy, tomato sauce topped stuff we call pizza. Or join your Tour Director for an excursion to Capri. Trust us, you haven’t lived lavishly until you’ve cruised around the island of Capri.
Capri Cruisin' (extra cost)
Ferry across the Bay of Naples then around the Isle of Capri, gawking at the incredible Arco Naturale and the famous Faraglioni rocks. Then travel by funicular railway to the ancient mountaintop island resort.
Why wait? Save money by booking this optional excursion before your trip departs.
- Day 6: Travel to Rome Airport via Pompeii + Fly to Athens
As you make your way to the Rome Airport for your flight to Athens, join a local guide for a walking tour of the ancient city of Pompeii, which stands frozen in time after Mt. Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD, completely destroying the town.
- Travel back to imperial Roman times and learn about Pompeii, the city covered in volcanic ash.
- Look up at Mt. Vesuvius, the deadly volcano that annihilated this city almost 2,000 years ago.
- Experience the buildings, artifacts and even people that have been extremely well preserved over the years.
- Day 7: Tour Athens
Welcome to Athens! 2,500 years ago, it was kind of a happening place, and still is today—with fewer people in togas walking around. It’s a vibrant metropolis, and a perfect jumping-off point for your journey through the Greece. When the sun goes down, expect to see people socializing in the streets. It’s how they roll.
- Step back in time in the historic Acropolis of Athens with your local guide.
- See the Propylaea, the The Panathenaic (Olympic) Stadium, and a bunch of other structures you’ll need your guide’s help to pronounce.
- Take in incredible panoramic views of Athens from the citadel’s hilltop vantage point, and understand why the ancient city’s name translates to “high city”.
- Day 8: Set Sail for Naxos
Leave the sunsets of Athens behind for the ancient history of Naxos…and more sunsets. Set your sights on Mt. Zas, AKA Mt. Zeus, the tallest mountain in the Cyclades, perfect for hiking and taking in some major views. Oh, and it’s supposedly home to the cave Zeus (yes, THE Zeus) grew up in. Does this make Zeus the original cave man?
- Say goodbye to Athens, and head to the next stop on your adventure: Naxos.
- Check into your new accommodation, and thank the Greek gods and goddesses that a place this beautiful exists.
- Join your Tour Director for a hand-picked group activity, go lone-wolf and explore the island on your own, or with your fellow travelers. Wolves are a pack animal, so the analogy still works.
- Day 9: Explore Naxos
Good news! You have the entire day to hang out in Naxos, a paradise fit for the Grecian gods, goddesses, and modern-day travelers alike. Look to the past with the island’s most ancient and historic sites, or look to the horizon from a beach chair with a bottle of wine and your favorite playlist. Or, look to the nearest taverna and fill up on feta.
- Spend time on one (or two, or three) of Naxos’ best beaches. Agios Prokopios and Aliko are some of our favorites.
- Wander around the streets of Naxos’ old town, Chora. The island’s capital and main harbor is also casually home to a huge Venetian castle. That’s right. A Venetian castle on a Greek island. Makes sense to us.
- Sample freshly baked Greek pastries like spanakopita and baklava in Chora’s local bakeries.
Free Time Suggestions
Temple time: Visit the ancient Temple of Sangri, one of the earlier Ionic temples ever built, made entirely of Naxian marble. This place was built in 530 BC, and a few of the original columns are still standing. Clearly that marble didn’t skip leg day.
Cave in: Get your blood-pumping during a hike up Mt. Zas. Then, check out the mouth of the cave Zeus is said to have grown up in. Is it just us, or do you have the sudden urge to watch “Hercules”?
- Day 10: Travel to Athens
Athens felt neglected, so it’s a good thing you’re heading back to pay it another visit. End the trip with a bang in a city known for stunning views and world-class nightlife. By now, you’re an old pro when it comes to exploring Greece, so we’re giving you the day to adventure in Athens on your own before an included farewell dinner with the group.
- Take a ferry from Naxos to Athens, and greet the ancient city like a really, really old friend.
- Revisit some favorite spots from day one in Athens, or go on a hunt to find new hidden gems.
- Check out some of the residential areas for an authentic look at life in Athens.
- Enjoy one last group dinner, and raise a glass to an epic trip.
Free Time Suggestions
Follow the Light: Flood-lit like a beacon towering over the city, Mount Lycabettus offers a spectacular view of the city. If you’ve been holding out on posting a scenic Instagram post, this is your moment.
Share some last laughs (and maybe shed a few tears) at an included farewell dinner with the group.
- Day 11: Fly Home
Translation: Goodbye, friends. Your next destination awaits—home. Before you head to the airport, enjoy your last few moments together. Take one more group photo. Grab that final drink. (Fine, maybe a couple of drinks.) But this isn’t goodbye. It’s “See you later.” The only question is, where?
– OR –
EXTEND YOUR TRIP 2 WAYS
1. Double the fun
A lot of our trips line up back to back! Give us a call—we can help you add another and save big while you're at it.
2. Go ahead or stay behind
Extending your trip is easy! During checkout, you'll have the option to fly to (or from) the gateway of your choice for an additional fee. We'll adjust your flights accordingly, but you'll be responsible to take care of your transportation, hotels, and other logistics outside of tour.
Note: Depending on your desired gateways, additional fees may apply.
Simple, flexible booking
Lock in your spot, then pay over time. If you change your mind, we’ll help you change your trip—no fees, no fuss. It’s really that easy.
Overall rating: 5 out of 5
Based on 3 authentic traveler reviews
AmazingCody, traveled Sep. 2021
Trip was awesome. Guide was very helpful with everything and recommending places to go.
Once in a lifetime experienceNicole, traveled Sep. 2021
This tour was amazing! It was my first time out of the country and I am so glad I chose this tour. EF planned everything out and all I had to do was show up and enjoy. My group was great and I connected with my roommates so it was great to meet people I wouldn’t have met otherwise. Our tour guide was AMAZING! I really can’t say enough good things about him. ... See more
Solo trips for the win!Stacy, traveled Aug. 2021
This was my first ever solo trip overseas and I was so nervous! EF gave me the best stress free experience by taking care of everything and allowing me to just go and have fun. Seriously life changing trip, I’m hooked!