Egypt Expedition11 Days • 4 Cities
We just got off the phone with your bucket list and we hear that nothing would make you happier than a trip to Egypt. Can you imagine gazing out across the sands of Giza and seeing exactly what people saw 5,000 years ago? Or walking (yes, like an Egyptian) through the Valley of the Kings, among history’s most revered temples, shrines, and real mummies? If relaxing on the beach in a Red Sea resort town, sailing down the Nile, and wandering Cairo with a kebab in one hand and baklava in the other sounds like just what the pharaoh ordered, we have great news: your long-awaited Egypt trip has arrived. Let it be known throughout the kingdoms, you’re headed to the land of pyramids.
What are the top highlights?
- Cross some of Planet Earth’s greatest historical treasures off your bucket list: the Pyramids of Giza & the Great Sphinx
- Visit the tomb of King Tut and dozens of other pharaohs in the Valley of the Kings
- Enter some of the world’s most spectacular mosques and oldest churches in Cairo
- Become besties with the vibrant and friendly people of Egypt
- Part the Red Sea—or, you know, just enjoy the world’s best snorkeling there
- Cruise down the Nile River at sunset on a traditional Egyptian felucca sailboat
Your trip includes
- Round-trip flights & airport transfers
- Multilingual Tour Director & local guides
- Private deluxe motorcoach
- 9 nights in hand-picked accommodations
- Daily breakfast, daily dinner, 4 lunches
- Metro pass in Cairo
- Entrance to Pyramids of Giza, Great Sphinx, Egyptian Museum, and more
You’ll stay at accommodations hand-picked by our team of local experts, in rooms only for EF Ultimate Break travelers. Each property is located in a safe, convenient area. You’ll receive your exact accommodations 30 days before your trip departs.
Click **here **for examples of where you'll stay.
Admit it, booking flights is the worst. Here's why you should let us do it for you:
- Flight costs are included in your monthly payment plan, so you can pay over time
- Airport transfers are included, so we’ll be waiting, sign in hand
- Flights are booked with major airlines
- 24/7 support no matter what time zone you’re in
- One checked bag included on most flights
- Option to make changes to your trip up to 99 days before departure
Booking with a friend? Let us know and we’ll do our best to make sure you’re on the same flight. Still want to book your own flights? That’s cool, simply select ‘No flights included’ instead of your departure city in the ‘Flights from’ dropdown.
Day 1: Overnight Flight
Read up on your pharaohs, board your overnight flight to Cairo, and channel your inner-mummy for some shut eye. You’re about to uncover a trip you’ll never forget.
Day 2: Arrive in Cairo
Welcome to Cairo! The capital city of Egypt is the starting point for your odyssey through ancient wonders and modern marvels. From the banks of the Nile River straight into your eyeballs, Cairo is an extraordinary city, home to nearly 20 million people, and the gateway to the Great Pyramids.
- Land at the airport and meet a waiting EF representative.
- Transfer to your hotel, check out your room, and start to meet your fellow travelers as they arrive.
- Get familiar with the area around your hotel with an introductory walk with your Tour Director.
In the evening, it’s time for your Welcome Mixer. Enjoy an authentic meal and drinks with fellow travelers. Then it’s on to wherever your new friends and the party take you. Please note: depending on how many travelers arrive late, the welcome event may be moved to Day 3 but dinner will still be included tonight.
Day 3: Sightseeing Tour of Cairo
Forget everything you learned in history class. Actually, wait, don’t do that. Just be prepared to have your mind blown seeing all the Egyptian stuff you learned about in school IRL on your tour of Cairo.
- Get lost with a professional Egyptologist among the Egyptian Museum—encompassing over 5,000 years of history—including King Tut’s famous golden mask.
- Explore Coptic Cairo, a historically Christian neighborhood, that’s home to some of the world’s oldest churches.
- Float like a butterfly to the Muhammed Ali Mosque (named for the founder of modern Egypt, not the boxer) within the Salah El-Din Citadel overlooking the city.
- Bargain your way through a souk—a traditional Egyptian open-air market perfect for people-watching.
- Feast on an included dinner after a long day of geeking out on Egyptian history.
Day 4: Pyramids of Giza & the Sphinx
It’s time. Today you get to spend time at the oldest, and only remaining Wonder of the Ancient World: the Pyramids of Giza and the Great Sphinx. Two fun facts we love about the Great Pyramid: it was the tallest structure in the world for nearly 4,000 years; and Cleopatra lived closer in time to the moon landing than the construction of the Great Pyramid. This not a drill, people, this is one of humankind’s greatest accomplishments in the flesh.
- Tour the grounds and take plenty of pictures at the Giza Necropolis, where you’ll learn about the construction, excavation, and the pharaohs buried here.
- Experience the unrivaled majesty of the Great Pyramid of Giza.
- Shake paws with the Great Sphinx: part lion, part human, fully awesome.
- Head south to the archaeological site at Saqqara to see some even older pyramids.
- Cap off an unforgettable day with an included dinner back in Cairo.
Day 5: Travel to Luxor & Sightseeing
Kiss Cairo goodbye and head south to Luxor today. Sure, Giza gets all the attention—it sits at the popular kids table—but trust us when we say that Luxor is every bit as stunning and jam-packed with ancient treasures. Once the site of the city of Thebes, now dubbed “the world’s greatest open-air museum.”
- Board your short morning flight from Cairo to Luxor.
- Pick your jaw up off the ground as you stroll through the sprawling temple complexes of Karnak and Luxor, which includes the Great Temple of Amun-Re and the Avenue of the Sphinxes.
- Admire the still intact hieroglyphics decorating the walls and pillars. That one over there looks like it says “buy a round of beers for your group.“ Weird!
- Taste the local specialties with an included dinner in Luxor.
Day 6: Explore the Valley of the Kings + Optional Desert Sunrise Hot Air Balloon Ride
Here be mummies. Cross the Nile today and behold the sacred sights of the West Bank of Luxor. For 500 years, this is where ancient Egyptians built tons of tombs and shrines to royalty including Queen Hatshepsut and King Tut. Explore the thusly-named Valley of the Kings today, and do your best not to disturb any sleeping pharaohs.
- Listen closely as your guide teaches you about the Valley of the King’s many limestone tombs and their ancient inhabitants.
- Look straight up at the Colossi of Memnon—two 60-foot statues of Pharaoh Amenhotep III that you would not want to play basketball against.
- Climb the stairs of the reconstructed Temple of Queen Hatshepsut built into the cliffs.
- Visit the tomb of King Tut, the valley’s most famous resident, where for an extra cost, you may enter the burial chamber to see his mummy where it still lays at rest.
- Refuel with an included dinner back in Luxor.
Desert Sunrise Hot Air Balloon Ride(extra cost)
Visitors to Egypt spend so much time thinking about the treasures that have been buried underground over time that they forget the beauty of seeing things from above. Hop in a hot air balloon before dawn and get a new perspective on Egypt as you witness a glorious sunrise from all the way up. For once, you are encouraged to definitely look down from a high elevation. See firsthand just how far the desert spreads across the landscape, how fertile the land around the Nile is, and how amazing that culture has thrived here for thousands of years in the face of the encroaching sands—the scale of which can only truly be appreciated from your balloon, as the sun illuminates it all. #NoFilter needed.
Why wait? Save money by booking this optional excursion before your trip departs.
Day 7: Travel to Dendera & Sightseeing
After a full day of mummy hunting, be sure to check yourself for any supernatural curses. Be a good pal and check your neighbor, too. None? Great! Today you’re headed up the Nile to Dendera, home to one of the best-preserved temple complexes remaining from Ancient Egypt.
- Take a private morning bus to Dendera—just long enough to edit all your pics thus far.
- Enjoy the immaculately preserved Dendera Temple Complex and be sure to look up at the ceiling, recently cleaned of centuries of soot to reveal the original paint.
- Take a peek at the Dendera Light Relief—a wall carving that some say depicts modern usage of electricity in ancient times.
- Continue on to the Red Sea coastal resort city of Hurghada, and enjoy an included dinner upon arrival.
Day 8: Mahmya Beach Day
After a week in the desert, you may be shocked by how happy you are to see sand. Specifically, the pristine white sand beaches of Mahmya where the perfectly turquoise water of the Red Sea meets Giftun Island. Trade in your archaeologist trowel for a beach towel, and make a splash in paradise.
- Soak up some sun on the world class beaches of Mahmya.
- Cool off in the water with swimming and some of the best snorkeling found anywhere.
- Indulge in island life with an included Egyptian lunch & dinner.
Day 9: Free Day in Hurghada + Optional Desert Safari
Good news! Your prayers to the sun god, Ra, have been answered. Today you get a full day in Hurghada to do as you please, and plenty of food included for lunch and dinner. Enjoy the amenities of the resort town, lay back, catch some rays, and try and remember to also pray to the god of sunscreen.
Free Time Suggestions
Kushari: If you haven’t by now, be sure to try the mouthwatering ubiquitous hodgepodge: kushari. Rice + pasta + lentils, mixed together and smothered in a spiced tomato sauce = drool.
Beach Time: If you didn’t get enough sun yesterday, hit the beach today for a little R&R. When in paradise, do as the Egyptians do.
Desert Safari(extra cost)
Question: what’s the national insect of Egypt? Answer: a dune buggy. Get it? Hop on a four-wheeler and head out to the desert with a professional driver for a heart-pumping joy ride through the dunes. Once you get really out there, meet up with a Bedouin tribe, nomadic people who have learned to thrive in these extreme climate conditions, to share a traditional dinner and some good times away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
Why wait? Save money by booking this optional excursion before your trip departs.
Day 10: Return to Cairo & Felucca Sunset Cruise + Farewell Dinner
It’s your last day in Egypt. You’ve almost climbed the metaphorical pyramid that is this trip. As you head back to Cairo for one last day of fun, sun, and sailing, be sure to think back on all the exploring you did: pyramids, temples, vibrant marketplaces, a rich culture not so different from your own, and heck, maybe even a little self-discovery out there on the road.
- Return to Cairo via private bus, and start planning your reunion trip somewhere new with this group of people who have gone from strangers to family in a mere 10 days.
- Cruise down the Nile on a felucca—a traditional Egyptian sailboat, the likes of which have been in use since ancient times—for a magical sunset to cap off your trip.
Share some last laughs and revisit the best moments of the trip at this included farewell dinner with the group.
Day 11: Fly Home
Wadaeaan ya aisdiqa'!
Your next destination awaits—home. Before you head to the airport, make sure to take one more group photo and grab that final drink. But this isn’t goodbye because you can always get the gang back together for another trip soon. Or if you’re feeling adventurous, we have a couple ways to keep your vacation going.
EXTEND YOUR TRIP 2 WAYS
1. Double the fun
Many of our trips line up back to back. Give us a call and we’ll help you add another destination—and save big while you’re at it.
2. Go ahead or stay behind
Extending your trip is easy. During checkout, you’ll have the option to fly to (or from) the gateway of your choice for a $30 fee. We’ll adjust your flights accordingly, but you’ll be responsible to take care of your transportation, hotels, and other logistics outside the tour.
Note: Depending on your desired gateways, additional fees may apply.
No reviews (yet) for this awesome trip