What do you get when you combine picturesque Venetian canals, hilltop Bavarian castles, snow-capped Swiss mountain ranges, and bustling medieval cities? Some would say this trip and, sure, they’d be right. But what do you really get? A fairytale New Year's Eve in Munich.
Riding in a gondola through the canals of Venice
Yodeling from atop the majestic Swiss Alps
Raising a toast inside one of Munich’s legendary beer halls
Saying, “Hasn’t everyone been to Liechtenstein?”
Living a fairytale on the balcony of a hilltop castle
What you'll get
Round-trip flights & airport transfers (or book 'em yourself)
8 nights in handpicked accommodations
Expert Tour Director
24/7 support from our travel gurus
A New Year's Eve celebration in Munich
3 insider city tours with local guides
- Day 1: Overnight Flight
Board your overnight flight, bound for Italy. Get ready to eat spaghetti on penne on linguine on fettuccine on gnocchi on ravioli on chocolate gelato (not literally, but maybe literally).
- Day 2: Arrive in Venice + Welcome Dinner
Welcome to Venice, the renowned former naval power of Italy. Grab your walking shoes, a good map (like a *really* good map) and hit the narrow, winding, organized, yet maddeningly confusing streets. The one-of-a-kind canals have to be seen to be appreciated. Watch the gondolas, browse the shops and eat the gelato until you can't eat anymore. Then eat more.
In the evening, enjoy a Welcome Dinner of local cuisine and drinks with fellow travelers at an authentic local spot. Afterwards, you’re free to take the party elsewhere!
- Meet an EF representative at the airport.
- Transfer to your accommodations and check in.
- Receive the latest schedule from your Tour Director.
- Get oriented to the city with an introductory walk with your Tour Director.
- Day 3: Tour Venice
Get ready to see Venice through the eyes of a local Italian. Your guide will show you canals, an extraordinary basilica, and a staircase shaped like a snail. Have you had enough pasta yet? No. The answer is no. Eat more pasta.
- Follow the winding Grand Canal through the heart of Venice.
- Play Marco Polo from across the Rialto Bridge, the oldest bridge in the city that connects San Marco and San Polo.
- See several historic churches and amble through picture-perfect piazzas.
- Take a water taxi back to the island, and discover what Venice has to offer once the sun goes down.
Free time suggestions
300 Years Old: Opened in 1720, Caffè Florian is the oldest café in the world. And while the venue may be old, their beliefs have always been ahead of their time. They were the only café to serve women during the 18th century. Nicely done, Florian.
Jazz it Up: Looking for an intimate, authentic music experience? Venice Jazz Club hosts talented, local musicians in a low-lit, artsy atmosphere. Grab dinner, drinks, and some smooth, sexy jazz at a club where you’ll feel as though you’ve stumbled upon a magical, hidden gem. That’s because you have.
- Day 4: Travel to Salzburg via Lake Bled
You’re off to Salzburg! This city is known for Mozart, The Sound of Music, and a big ‘ol fortress that sits high above. On your way, stop at Lake Bled for some insanely scenic water and mountain views.
- Travel by bus from Venice to Salzburg, with a quick stop Lake Bled.
- Take in the fresh alpine air and views from the area near Bled Castle.
- Arrive in Salzburg and stretch your legs along the meandering Salzach River.
- Give a salute to Hohensalzburg Castle, a must-see medieval fortress; there will be plenty of time to play knight tomorrow.
- Day 5: Walking Tour of Salzburg + Included Dinner
A full day in Salzburg, and so much to look at. Castles and music, and restaurants for chitchat. These are a few of my favorite things. Now go back, and read it the way Julie Andrews would want you to read it.
- Harness your inner Ron Weasley as you move giant chess pieces around in Kapitelplatz (Chapter Square).
- Dip your head into the fountain at Resedenzplatz Square to find out if it's a fountain of youth. Never hurts to check, right?
- Head to the Alter Markt, but not too fast, or you may miss Salzburg's smallest house, barely over 4 feet wide.
Free time suggestions
Medieval Times: Hohensalzburg Castle, which stands high on a cliff, is Central Europe’s biggest fully preserved castle and one of Salzburg’s finest attractions. It’s enormous, beautiful inside and out, and packed with history that dates back to the 11th century. Hike up or take the funicular, and immerse yourself in pure castleness.
Compose Yourself: Salzburg is the birthplace of one of history’s most influential classical composers, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Visit the Mozart Residence and discover what made this guy the Elvis Presley of his time (and beyond).
- Day 6: Travel to Munich + sightseeing + New Year’s Eve celebration
Make your way to Munich, a major center of German art, music, and innovation. It’s rated as the world’s most livable city, and tonight Munich is home to a big ole party. Head to the Tollwood Winter Festival to ring in the new year with your group.
- Follow a local guide on a tour of Munich’s main attractions including Frauenkirche and Marienplatz.
- Stop by the world-famous Hofbräuhaus for a stein and a gute Zeit.
- Party the night away at the Tollwood Festival, counting down to the new year with food, drinks, and entertainment.
- Day 7: Free Day in Munich + Dachau (Optional)
Pull out your lederhosen and get ready for a free day in Munich. The city is yours to explore, and the pretzels are yours to devour.
Free time suggestions
BMW FTW: Stop at the BMW Museum for a look into BMW's past. See iconic cars, motorcycles, and other modes of transportation. The building itself is as cool as the stuff inside.
Smell the Hops: Roam the English Garden. As you walk the 900-acre greenway (the first of its kind) grab a drink and sit in the second-largest beer garden in Munich.
Dachau memorial site (extra cost)
Once a typical German town, Dachau was the first Nazi concentration camp during World War II.
- Day 8: Travel to Lucerne via Neuschwanstein Castle
All aboard for a scenic bus ride through the European countryside! Watch as rolling hills give way to majestic, snow-capped Alps. You're headed to Switzerland. On the way, make a photo stop outside Neuschwanstein Castle (AKA Sleeping Beauty’s Castle).
- Jump on the bus to Switzerland.
- Tour Neuschwanstein Castle with a guide and learn about the weird kings that occupied it.
- Find Mary’s Bridge (follow the waterfall sounds) for the most Instagrammable pictures of the castle.
- Grab lunch, breathe in the fresh German countryside air, and pretend this castle is yours (everything’s for sale, right?).
- Day 9: Tour Lucerne + Trip up the Swiss Alps
Today you’ll experience why people are flocking to Switzerland (and it’s not just for the chocolate and cheese). Walk the streets of historic Lucerne, and marvel at the snow-capped Swiss Alps in the distance.
Share some last laughs (and maybe shed a few tears) at an included farewell dinner with the group.
- Walk the narrow streets and take in the incredible mountain scenery with your Tour Director.
- See the one-of-a-kind Löwendenkmal, a surprisingly impressive and massive rock carving of a dying lion, carved to commemorate the Swiss Guards who were killed during the French Revolution.
- Walk across the Kapellbrücke—this mural-lined covered bridge was originally built back in medieval times.
- Wander the maze-like, cobblestone streets of Old Town Lucerne.
Trip up the Swiss Alps (extra cost)
Take an amazing trip to the top of a mountain in the Swiss Alps and soak in the incredible panoramic views.
Why wait? Save money by booking this optional excursion before your trip departs.
- Day 10: Fly Home
Auf Wiedersehen, Freunde!
Translation: Goodbye, friends. Your next destination awaits—home. Before you head to the airport, enjoy your last few moments together. Take one more group photo. Grab that final drink. (Fine, maybe a couple of drinks.) But this isn’t goodbye. It’s “See you later.” The only question is, where?
EXTEND YOUR TRIP 2 WAYS
1. Double the fun
A lot of our trips line up back to back! Give us a call—we can help you add another and save big while you're at it.
2. Go ahead or stay behind
Extending your trip is easy! During checkout, you'll have the option to fly to (or from) the gateway of your choice for an additional fee. We'll adjust your flights accordingly, but you'll be responsible to take care of your transportation, hotels, and other logistics outside of tour.
Note: Depending on your desired gateways, additional fees may apply.
Overall rating: 5 out of 5
Based on 6 authentic traveler reviews
Just book it!Bailey, traveled Dec. 2022
Woooowza, was this trip a blast! Unfortunately, our luggage did not make it to our destination the entire duration of the trip, but Jos our tour director was so incredibly helpful in helping us! Though things were out of our control, we really had the most amazing time. We met the best people and really enjoyed each country. This trip really breathed the lif... See more
Awesome!Anonymous, traveled Dec. 2022
This was my first trip internationally and it was amazing! I wouldn't change anything about it. The activities we did were enjoyable and the group was great. Made good friends. Our tour director, Ingo, was amazing! Had such great communication that I always knew what was going on. Plus he always had great suggestions for everything.
Don’t think about this one- JUST BOOK IT!!!!Anonymous, traveled Dec. 2022
This trip was so amazing, I can’t use words to explain it. I had fun every single day, and the group I was traveling with was so fun. each person I traveled with and each experience we did has genuinely left a positive impact on my life. The trip was paced so well, the planned events were so fun, and our Tour Director also was amazing. He planned 2 separate ... See more
THE BEST TRIP EVER!!!!!Mohit, traveled Dec. 2022
This was my first trip with EF! Let me say this, it was one of the most memorable trips I ever had. Ingo our tour directors was the best!!!! He rocks! You would never feel alone on the trip and the strangers would soon become your family! I highly recommend that you go on this trip and experience multiple countries and the food in one trip!!!!!