Celebrate New Year's Eve and experience Caribbean paradise from every angle—from up high in the mountains to down low on a white-sand beach. Strap in for nine days of exploring, eating, dancing, and hiking your way through your new favorite island.
Swimming under a waterfall in Jarabacoa
Exploring the oldest European settlement in the Western Hemisphere
Riding the rapids of the Yaque del Norte River
Getting your groove on during a classic Dominican dance lesson
Sipping a fruity drink, gazing out at the Caribbean Sea
What you'll get
Round-trip flights & airport transfers
8 nights in handpicked accommodations
Expert Tour Director
A New Year's celebration in Cabarete
Dominican dance lesson
White water rafting excursion
Cayo Arena snorkeling tour
- Day 1: Fly to Santo Domingo
Board your flight to Santo Domingo, the capital city of the Dominican Republic. You’ve got over a week of adventure ahead of you. So sit back, get some rest, and start quietly chanting “DR” to the confused person next to you on the plane.
- Meet an EF representative at the airport.
- Transfer to your accommodation and check in.
- Receive the latest schedule from your Tour Director.
- Meet your fellow travelers as they arrive.
- Day 2: Tour Santo Domingo + Welcome Dinner
Fetch your cocktail umbrellas, and throw on your comfiest walking shoes; this city is one part Caribbean paradise, one part bustling urban hub. And if you’ve ever considered combining rum, red wine, and honey, but been too nervous that people would judge you, Santo Domingo is the place for you. Locals combine these ingredients to create Mamajuana, a strong drink considered by some to be an aphrodisiac. Get the candles ready.
In the evening, enjoy a Welcome Dinner of local cuisine and drinks with fellow travelers at an authentic local spot. Afterwards, you’re free to take the party elsewhere!
- Join your Tour Director on a tour of Santo Domingo.
- Wander through the Colonial Zone—founded in 1498, it’s the oldest European settlement in the Western Hemisphere.
- Open your third eye at Los Tres Ojos, an expansive cave with three lakes and plenty of stalactites and stalagmites for all you cave nerds.
- Day 3: Travel to Jarabacoa
Time to get your explorer on and check out the island. Head inland to the small town of Jarabacoa, nicknamed “The City of Eternal Spring” for its warm but not hot temperatures. The perfect weekend getaway for Dominicans, this oasis nestled between mountains will leave you relaxed, breathless, and wanting to tell no one about it so you can keep it all to yourself—and your fellow travelers, of course.
- Trade in the hustle and bustle of Santo Domingo for the laid-back vibe of Jarabacoa.
- Put some headphones on, look out the window at the beautiful views, and do that thing when you pretend you’re thinking really hard about something.
- Arrive in Jarabacoa and settle in to your accommodation.
- Partake in a typical Dominican dance lesson, complete with a traditional Caribbean dinner and plenty of hip-shaking once you hit the dance floor.
- Day 4: Explore Jarabacoa
Elevated heart rate. Heavier than normal breathing. Sweaty palms. If today was a movie, it’d be an action-adventure flick, starring you. You’ll go from whitewater rafting down a river, to hiking through the jungle, to swimming under a waterfall. So grab your co-stars (fellow travelers), the director (Tour Director), and of course—your camera. Quiet on set, everybody. We. Are. Rolling.
- Answer adventure’s call and head to the Yaque del Norte River, the longest in the DR.
- Learn the basics of whitewater rafting from a local guide, and take on several different classes of rapids.
- Feed the appetite you’ve surely worked up with an included lunch surrounded by postcard-worthy jungle views.
- Lace up your boots for a short hike to Salto de Baiguate waterfall, and then cool off with a dip in said waterfall.
- Day 5: Travel to Cabarete
After the previous day’s non-stop action, slow things down a bit at the resort town of Cabarete. It’s right along the beach, only has one major street, and is the watersport capital of the country. Kitesurfers, windsurfers, and even boring ol’ regular surfers hit the waves all day every day. But don’t worry—there’s plenty of room for non-watersport activities, too.
- Leave the eternal spring behind, and make your way to Cayo Arena, an islet and snorkeler’s paradise off the coast.
- Snorkel and swim with your new friends—the fish, of course.
- Put on your relaxation hat and travel by bus to Cabarete.
- Enjoy an included dinner in Cabarete then spend the evening doing what you want to do.
- Day 6: Tour Cabarete + New Year's Celebration
Time for a day of exploring! After snapping the perfect pic (looking at you, Instagrammers), you’ll see a Spanish fortress that protected the city of Puerto Plata from pirates. *Cue “Pirates of the Caribbean” music*. Don’t forget an excursion to Macorix House of Rum to finish off the day.. and finish of some rum!
- Hop on the bus for a trip around the surrounding area with your Tour Director.
- Visit Fortaleza San Felipe, a Spanish fortress built in the 1500s.
- Travel to Macorix Rum Tour in Puerto Plata for a tour of the museum, an explanation of their history and how the rum is made, and a tasting of different rums they make.
- Count down to New Year’s in style. Then, keep the party going as late as you want!
- Day 7: Relax in Cabarete
Another day in paradise, another day to soak up all the fun in the sun. Continue watching the surfers drop in, hang ten, and rip (#sickbro). And if you’re really into it, ask them for their tips and tricks. If not, just sit back, relax, and enjoy the beach.
- Hit the beach for one final day of saying “life’s a beach” to everyone around you.
- Lounge on the beach, or simply be present in this beautiful destination fit for a postcard.
- Spend the rest of the afternoon as you please, on the white-sand beaches of the Dominican Republic.
Surf's Up! (extra cost)
Time to get like, totally radical, dudes and dudettes! Lend your ear to a local pro surfer for a lesson, then try it for yourself. You’ll be riding those gnarly waves before you know it.
Why wait? Save money by booking this optional excursion before your trip departs.
- Day 8: Travel to Santo Domingo
Take your suitcase—and your new tan lines—back to where it all started in Santo Domingo. This is it, people. Your last full day in the DR. Once you’re back in Santo Domingo, get out there and soak in as much of the country’s capital as you can.
Share some last laughs (and maybe shed a few tears) at an included farewell dinner with the group.
- Take a bus to Santo Domingo, enjoying views of the Dominican countryside along the way.
- Check in to your accommodation and get ready for a final night out.
- Cool off with a cold beer or cocktail at a local bar—it won’t be hard to find one.
- Day 9: Fly Home
Translation: Goodbye, friends! Your next destination awaits—home. Before you head to the airport, enjoy your last few moments together. Take one more group photo. Grab that final drink. (Fine, maybe a couple of drinks.) But this isn’t goodbye. It’s “See you later.” The only question is, where?
EXTEND YOUR TRIP 2 WAYS
1. Double the fun
A lot of our trips line up back to back! Give us a call—we can help you add another and save big while you're at it.
2. Go ahead or stay behind
Extending your trip is easy! During checkout, you'll have the option to fly to (or from) the gateway of your choice for an additional fee. We'll adjust your flights accordingly, but you'll be responsible to take care of your transportation, hotels, and other logistics outside of tour.
Note: Depending on your desired gateways, additional fees may apply.
Traveling with us helps the EF community plant trees, at no extra cost to you.
Overall rating: 5 out of 5
Based on 2 authentic traveler reviews
Would totally go again, and again.Kristen, traveled Dec.. 2021
I absolutely loved our accommodations and our tour guide! Carol was perfect in every way. My main recommendation is to make sure you have a body suit that covers your knees and elbows when surf boarding, I was scratched up so bad I had to quit early because it burned so bad with the salty water!
DR DR DR!!!Anonymous, traveled Dec.. 2021
I had a fantastic time on this trip. It was my 3rd time taking a trip with EF so I knew what to expect. All of the food we had was amazing. Whitewater rafting was a blast, and the beaches in cabarete are to die for! They are so beautiful, and the water is crystal clear and warm. If you’re thinking twice about taking this trip, book it!! You’ll have the time ... See more