On this tour through Italy and Greece you’ll experience a perfect balance of big-name bucket list cities, beautifully quaint coastal towns, and an island that feels like paradise. Prepare for ancient history, ultimate relaxation and delicious food. But mostly, pure Mediterranean bliss.
Eating and 'gramming all the pizza and pasta you can handle
Exploring the stunning coastal towns and cliffs of the Amalfi Coast
Experiencing historic sites like the Acropolis
Sipping wine on the golden-sand beaches of Naxos
Looking up at Mt. Vesuvius from the city it made famous, Pompeii
What you'll get
Round-trip flights & airport transfers (or book 'em yourself)
Ferry rides to and from the Greek Islands
9 nights in handpicked accommodations
Expert Tour Director
24/7 support from our travel gurus
3 insider city tours with a local guide
Admission to the Pompeii Ruins
Ferry ride to Positano
- Day 1: Overnight flight
Board your overnight flight, bound for Italy. Get ready to eat spaghetti on penne on linguine on fettuccine on gnocchi on ravioli on chocolate gelato (not literally, but maybe literally).
- Day 2: Arrive in Rome + Welcome Dinner
Welcome to Rome, Italy’s capital city that is bursting at the seams with energy. Locals fill the streets, day and night, usually doing something that involves eating or drinking. And how can you blame them when pasta, pizza, gelato, coffee, and wine are everywhere you look? Rome is all big city/ancient ruins, served with a side of spaghetti.
In the evening, enjoy a Welcome Dinner of local cuisine and drinks with fellow travelers at an authentic local spot. Afterwards, you’re free to take the party elsewhere!
- Meet an EF representative at the airport.
- Transfer to your accommodations and check in.
- Meet your fellow travelers as they arrive.
- Take a guided tour of some top sights around Rome.
- Day 3: Tour Rome
They say all roads lead to Rome, but once you’re there you quickly realize that all roads actually lead to restaurants. Take the morning to satisfy your cravings and sip some espresso before touring the city.
- Tour the city with a local guide who will show you why Rome is one of the most legendary cities in Europe.
- Experience the heart of ancient Rome with a visit to the Forum, once a hub of activity for the city.
- See the ruins of several Roman temples, including the Temple of the Vestal Virgins.
- Day 4: Travel to Naples Region via Pompeii + Amalfi Coast Day Trip
As you make your way to the Naples Region, join a local guide for a walking tour of the ancient city of Pompeii, which stands frozen in time after Mt. Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD, completely destroying the town.
Afterwards, continue your journey to Positano, the crowned jewel of the Amalfi Coast.
- Travel back to imperial Roman times and learn about Pompeii, the city covered in volcanic ash.
- Look up at Mt. Vesuvius, the deadly volcano that annihilated this city almost 2,000 years ago.
- Experience the buildings, artifacts and even people that have been extremely well preserved over the years.
- Relax on a scenic pebble beach or shop your way through the colorful streets of Positano.
- Day 5: Free day in Naples Region or Optional Capri Excursion
The day is yours to do as you wish. Like enjoy the thing that Naples is known for: that bready, cheesy, tomato sauce topped stuff we call pizza. Or join your Tour Director for an excursion to Capri. Trust us, you haven’t lived lavishly until you’ve cruised around the island of Capri.
Capri Cruisin' (extra cost)
Ferry across the Bay of Naples then around the Isle of Capri, gawking at the incredible Arco Naturale and the famous Faraglioni rocks. Then travel by funicular railway to the ancient mountaintop island resort.
Why wait? Save money by booking this optional excursion before your trip departs.
- Day 6: Travel to Rome Airport + Fly to Athens
Today is the day you head to Athens! Transfer from your hotel to the airport in Rome and prepare yourselves for the Acropolis, the Parthenon and MORE Greek food!
- Day 7: Tour Athens
Welcome to Athens! 2,500 years ago, it was kind of a happening place, and still is today—with fewer people in togas walking around. It’s a vibrant metropolis, and a perfect jumping-off point for your journey through the Greece. When the sun goes down, expect to see people socializing in the streets. It’s how they roll.
- Step back in time in the historic Acropolis of Athens with your local guide.
- See the Propylaea, the The Panathenaic (Olympic) Stadium, and a bunch of other structures you’ll need your guide’s help to pronounce.
- Take in incredible panoramic views of Athens from the citadel’s hilltop vantage point, and understand why the ancient city’s name translates to “high city”.
- Day 8: Set Sail for Naxos
Leave the sunsets of Athens behind for the ancient history of Naxos…and more sunsets. Set your sights on Mt. Zas, AKA Mt. Zeus, the tallest mountain in the Cyclades, perfect for hiking and taking in some major views. Oh, and it’s supposedly home to the cave Zeus (yes, THE Zeus) grew up in. Does this make Zeus the original cave man?
- Say goodbye to Athens, and head to the next stop on your adventure: Naxos.
- Check into your new accommodation, and thank the Greek gods and goddesses that a place this beautiful exists.
- Join your Tour Director for a hand-picked group activity, go lone-wolf and explore the island on your own, or with your fellow travelers. Wolves are a pack animal, so the analogy still works.
- Day 9: Explore Naxos
Good news! You have the entire day to hang out in Naxos, a paradise fit for the Grecian gods, goddesses, and modern-day travelers alike. Look to the past with the island’s most ancient and historic sites, or look to the horizon from a beach chair with a bottle of wine and your favorite playlist. Or, look to the nearest taverna and fill up on feta.
- Spend time on one (or two, or three) of Naxos’ best beaches. Agios Prokopios and Aliko are some of our favorites.
- Wander around the streets of Naxos’ old town, Chora. The island’s capital and main harbor is also casually home to a huge Venetian castle. That’s right. A Venetian castle on a Greek island. Makes sense to us.
- Sample freshly baked Greek pastries like spanakopita and baklava in Chora’s local bakeries.
Free time suggestions
Temple time: Visit the ancient Temple of Sangri, one of the earlier Ionic temples ever built, made entirely of Naxian marble. This place was built in 530 BC, and a few of the original columns are still standing. Clearly that marble didn’t skip leg day.
Cave in: Get your blood-pumping during a hike up Mt. Zas. Then, check out the mouth of the cave Zeus is said to have grown up in. Is it just us, or do you have the sudden urge to watch “Hercules”?
- Day 10: Travel to Athens + Farewell Dinner
Back to the azure waters of the Aegean, this time returning to Athens via ferry. Once you’re back on land, enjoy one last dinner with your group.
- Board your ferry to Athens.
- Share some laughs (and maybe shed a few tears) at an included Farewell Dinner.
- Day 11: Fly Home
Translation: Goodbye, friends. Your next destination awaits—home. Before you head to the airport, enjoy your last few moments together. Take one more group photo. Grab that final drink. (Fine, maybe a couple of drinks.) But this isn’t goodbye. It’s “See you later.” The only question is, where?
– OR –
EXTEND YOUR TRIP 2 WAYS
1. Double the fun
A lot of our trips line up back to back! Give us a call—we can help you add another and save big while you're at it.
2. Go ahead or stay behind
Extending your trip is easy! During checkout, you'll have the option to fly to (or from) the gateway of your choice for an additional fee. We'll adjust your flights accordingly, but you'll be responsible to take care of your transportation, hotels, and other logistics outside of tour.
Note: Depending on your desired gateways, additional fees may apply.
Overall rating: 4.8 out of 5
Based on 73 authentic traveler reviews
Amazing trip, so much fun!!!Eric, traveled Sep. 2023
Rome, Amalfi, Athens & Naxos! Was truly and amazing trip and kept us busy! Saw some breathtaking views and made amazing friends! Despoina was the perfect tour guide and made everyone feel welcomed and included! She is a rockstar!
Unforgettable Trip With The Most Talented Tour DirectorMargaret, traveled Sep. 2023
Wow. What an experience. I saw some of the bluest oceans and most picturesque viewpoints during this tour. This was my second time with Despi as a Tour Director and she went above and beyond in every way possible to make this tour memorable. She creates a fully immersive experience for all of her travelers that allows us to get to know every city with all of... See more
10/10 Would RecommendElysia, traveled Sep. 2023
Wow! Honestly, this trip was spectacular. Between the views, the vibes, our tour group, the food, and our wonderful tour director Despi, this trip will forever be a great memory I look back on. I want to give a huge shoutout to Despi though who against all odds made this the best trip ever. We faced many obstacles (outside Despi and EF’s control) and she st... See more
Best Tour With The Best Tour Director!Suzydee, traveled Sep. 2023
I leaned outside of my comfort zone with this trip and decided to travel solo and I am so glad that I did. This trip was a whirlwind of emotions and don't think I would have made it out alive were it not for our amazing Tour Director, Despi. She was so amazing, kind, and caring. I really felt like I could go to her with any question or concern and she was al... See more