Run Athens 2023
From $2699 with flightsPayments as low as $232
Part sightseeing, part heavy breathing—this escape to Athens combines all the ancient Greek sites and tzatziki-covered cuisine you’re looking for with the ultimate physical challenge: running the Athens Marathon.
Registration for the 5k, 10k or Marathon will be coordinated by EF Ultimate Break. All travelers will be asked to confirm their race selection and entry details after booking but in advance of the trip.
Running across the finish line of the Athens Marathon
Channeling ancient gods and goddesses at the Acropolis
Savoring the fresh, local ingredients of Greek cuisine
Touring the town of Marathon, site of the Battle of Marathon
People watching at a traditional taverna
What you'll get
Round-trip flights & airport transfers
5 nights in handpicked, city-center accommodations
Expert Tour Director
Registration and race day transportation for 5k, 10k, or marathon
Insider tour of Athens with local guide
- Day 1: Overnight flight
Board your overnight flight to Athens, the cradle of Western Civilization and one of the oldest cities in the world. NBD.
- Day 2: Arrive in Athens + Welcome Dinner
Welcome to Athens! 2,500 years ago, it was kind of a happening place, and still is today—with fewer people in togas walking around.
- Meet an EF representative and fellow travelers as they arrive at the airport.
- Transfer to your hotel to check in and check out your room.
- Get acquainted with Athens on a brief walk around the city with your Tour Director.
- Enjoy a Welcome Dinner of local cuisine and drinks with your group.
- Day 3: Tour Athens + group dinner
Today, you’ll get to know the real Athens with a real local guide. Then, top it off with a hearty meal with your group to fuel for your race.
- Step back in time at the historic Acropolis of Athens with your local guide.
- See the Propylaea, the Theatre of Dionysus, and a bunch of other structures you’ll need your guide’s help to pronounce.
- Take in incredible panoramic views of Athens from the citadel’s hilltop vantage point.
- Carbo-load at an included dinner with your group.
- Day 4: Tour Marathon + 10k Road Race
Today you’ll join your group and Tour Director for a tour of Marathon, the site of the Battle of Marathon (490 BCE) and starting line for tomorrow’s race. And if you’re running in the 10k, this afternoon is your moment.
- Visit the town of Marathon with your Tour Director.
- Witness the Athens Marathon opening ceremony.
- Get to the starting line (if you’re running) of the 10k Road Race.
Free time suggestions
Ancient Agora of Athens: Visit the ruins that were once the central gathering place for ancient Greeks and do your best Socrates impression.
National Archaeology Museum: It’s considered one of the greatest museums in the world, housing everything from Greek sculptures to Egyptian Antiquities.
- Day 5: Athens Marathon and 5k
If you’re signed up for the 5k or the marathon, today’s your day. You’ve trained hard (right?) and traveled far for this, so hit the pavement and do your best. And if you’ve somehow still got gas in the tank afterwards, get out and do some more exploring.
- Wake up, hydrate, and get to that starting line.
- Put one foot in front of the other until you finish the job.
- Celebrate your accomplishment—with a nap, big plates of food, or both!
Free time suggestions
Kolonaki: Combine two favorite traveler pastimes—shopping and people watching—in this chic, trendy neighborhood in central Athens.
Mount Lycabettus: Hike (or don’t—there’s a cable car) to the highest point in Athens for spectacular views of the city in every direction.
- Day 6: Free day in Athens + Farewell Dinner
At this point you’re practically an Athens local. Venture out into the city and cross off any remaining bucket list items before one last included dinner with your crew.
Free time suggestions
Plaka: If you take your neighborhoods like you take your ancient ruins (historic), Plaka is for you. Feel the energy as you stroll the narrow streets.
Ouzo: Seek out the perfect taverna to sample ouzo, the local anise-flavored aperitif, with some Greek bites on the side.
- Day 7: Fly home
Translation: Goodbye, friends. Your next destination awaits—home. But this isn’t goodbye. It’s “See you later.” The only question is, where?
Traveling with us helps the EF community plant trees, at no extra cost to you.