Grab a pen, it's time to get Spain and Portugal on that bucket list. From the sunny hills of Lisbon to the beaches of Barcelona, you’ll taste tapas, visit world-class museums, and explore your way through the highlights of the Iberian Peninsula.
Gazing upon ocean views and hilltop castles in Lisbon
Feeling regal as you wander Madrid’s royal palace
Winding through the immense collection of art in Madrid
Drooling over Catalan cuisine on the Mediterranean coast
Staring, awestruck by the architectural wonders of Barcelona
What you'll get
Round-trip flights & airport transfers (or book 'em yourself)
9 nights in handpicked accommodations
Expert Tour Director
3 insider tours with local guides
Entrance to Reina Sofía in Madrid
Admission to Park Guell in Barcelona
- Day 1: Overnight Flight
Board your overnight flight, bound for Lisbon! You’re headed to The City of Seven Hills, which are historically inaccurate and miscounted. Let us know how many you find.
- Day 2: Arrival in Lisbon + Welcome Dinner
Welcome to Lisbon! Get ready to work those glutes, because you're in "The City of Seven Hills". This colorful Portuguese capital is home to classic European charm, urban innovation, and breathtaking vistas from just about anywhere you stand.
In the evening, enjoy a Welcome Dinner of local cuisine and drinks with fellow travelers at an authentic local spot. Afterwards, you’re free to take the party elsewhere!
- Meet an EF representative at the airport.
- Transfer to your accommodation and check in.
- Receive the latest schedule from your Tour Director.
- Meet the other travelers as they arrive.
- Walk through the Barrio Alto and Chiado neighborhoods, Lisbon’s nightlife mecca.
- Day 3: Discover Lisbon
With San Francisco-like inclines, cobbled European streets, and a comfy coastal climate, Lisbon is the best of all worlds. As the oldest city in Western Europe, it's inscribed with millennia of stories that uniquely shaped the vibe today. Want to hear them? We have you covered.
- Meet a local guide for an in-depth tour of Lisbon (and story time, obviously).
- Traverse the labyrinthian streets of Alfama, the oldest district of Lisbon.
- Enjoy the rest of the afternoon and evening free to explore on your own.
- Day 4: Free Day in Lisbon + Optional Sintra & Portuguese Riviera Excursion
Join the group for an excursion to picturesque Sintra, or have the day free to do your thing.
Free Time Suggestion
Elevator Pitch: Originally steampowered, the Elevador de Santa Justa is the handiwork of Gustave Eiffel’s apprentice (so it might look a little familiar). A ride up gives you awesome views of the city skyline.
Sintra & Portuguese Riviera (extra cost)
Crest the Sintra Mountains for a visit to the Palácio da Pena. Then, visit the coastline of Cascais for lunch and free time.
- Day 5: Travel to Madrid
Say *"Tchau!"* to Portugal and "Hola" to neighboring Spain—you're headed to Madrid! Rich in Spanish tradition, Madrid mixes old with new like sangria mixes booze with fruit salad. And it works just as well.
- Hop on your flight from Lisbon to Madrid.
- Arrive in Madrid and check out your accommodation.
- Take a brief orientation walk with your Tour Director to familiarize yourself with the area.
Free time suggestions
Exit Through the Gift Shop: Chueca and Malasaña neighborhoods have vintage fashion, inexpensive tapas bars, and street art from the famous Banksy.
Get Cultured: The Golden Triangle features The Prado, Thyssen-Bornemisza, and The Reina Sofia museums.
- Day 6: Sightseeing Tour of Madrid
A nearly endless amount of tapas, sangria, and Spanish Golden Age architecture will greet you in this city located at the very center of Spain. Discover many of the most popular destinations before getting cultured at one of the world’s leading art museums. And remember, there’s always room for more tapas.
- Journey to the very heart of Madrid at the Puerta del Sol, aka the “Gate of the Sun.”
- Shop, walk, and enjoy the outdoors and a bronze statue of King Phillip III at Plaza Mayor (Main Square).
- Check out the Picassos and Dalís at the Reina Sofia, or see the works of the old Rennaisance masters at the Prado.
Free time suggestions
El Retiro Park: Once belonging to the Spanish Monarchy, this now public park contains a variety of statues and museums, the famed Rosaleda rose garden, the Palacio de Cristal, and Retiro Pond—a great spot for watching people and street performers alike.
Malasaña: This happening area is known for a large student population and streets filled with coffee shops, bakeries, and vintage clothing stores. Then at night, edgy dance and rock clubs come to life so you can dance the night away.
- Day 7: Free Day in Madrid + Optional Medieval Toledo
Enjoy a free day to explore Spain's capital city on your own or join the Optional Medieval Toledo Tour!
Free time suggestions
Pro Pre-Game: Head to Plaza de Santa Ana in the evening for tapas. This square is slightly off the beaten path, and a hotspot for locals beginning their nights.
¡GOOOOOOOOOL! Tour Estadio Santiago Bernabeu, home to Madrid’s futból team, Real Madrid. Sit in the players’ seats, see trophies up close, and feel the luxury of the presidential box.
Medieval Toledo (extra cost)
Toledo is a stunning cliff top medieval fortified city. It is often referred to as La Ciudad Imperial (Imperial City) since it once was the capital of Spain. Check out the city's massive Gothic cathedral, which is home to 750 medieval stained glass windows and a treasure trove of golden artifacts. Explore the labyrinth of medieval alleyways at the heart of the city, and then visit the Santo Tome Church and one of Europe’s oldest synagogues, Santa Maria la Blanca.
Why wait? Save money by booking this optional excursion before your trip departs.
- Day 8: Travel to Barcelona
Catch a morning train to Barcelona, a city of endless parties, wacky architecture and premium beaches.
- Travel by train from Madrid to Barcelona.
- Take an introductory walk of Barcelona with your Tour Director.
- Stroll Las Ramblas, the main pedestrian thoroughfare lined with bars, cafes, shops and street performers.
- Stop in Plaça de Catalunya, the city center where old meets new.
- Enjoy the rest of the evening to explore on your own.
- Day 9: Tour Barcelona + Optional Sagrada Família Tour & Sangria
Experience Barcelona’s unique architecture and atmosphere with a local guide by coach and foot.
- Explore the Old Port with your guide.
- Visit one of Antoni Gaudí’s greatest works of modernist art, Parque Güell. This colorful park is adorned with tilework, dreamlike structures and not a straight line anywhere.
- See the 1992 Olympic Park which lines the Mediterranean Sea.
- Enjoy the rest of the day to revisit any of the sights, hit the beach or explore on your own.
Sagrada Familia & Sangria (extra cost)
Antoni Gaudí’s Sagrada Família Basilica is the world’s most unbelievable church—under construction since 1882, finished by 2026 at the earliest. Tour it with a local guide, then enjoy included Sangria and pintxos, which are small finger snacks popular in Spain.
This excursion is pre-book only; if your trip is less than 30 days away, please call 800-766-2645 to purchase.
- Day 10: Free Day in Barcelona + Farewell Dinner
The day is yours to experience the best of Barcelona. In the evening, share one last memory with your group in the included, three-course Farewell Dinner.
Free time suggestions
Market Down: Visit La Boqueria, the famous market just off of Las Ramblas, with everything from fresh fruits to meats, flowers and sweets.
Playa Long: Barcelona’s coast is lined with beaches, each with its own personality. Try party-centric Barceloneta, tranquil Caldetes or water sports at Mar Bella.
Comer Little Closer: From paella, a traditional rice dish, to Basque-style tapas, Barcelona has gastronomy locked down.
- Day 11: Fly Home
Translation: Goodbye, friends. Your next destination awaits—home. Before you head to the airport, enjoy your last few moments together. Take one more group photo. Grab that final drink. (Fine, maybe a couple of drinks.) But this isn’t goodbye. It’s “See you later.” The only question is, where?
EXTEND YOUR TRIP 2 WAYS
1. Double the fun
A lot of our trips line up back to back! Give us a call—we can help you add another and save big while you're at it.
2. Go ahead or stay behind
Extending your trip is easy! During checkout, you'll have the option to fly to (or from) the gateway of your choice for an additional fee. We'll adjust your flights accordingly, but you'll be responsible to take care of your transportation, hotels, and other logistics outside of tour.
Note: Depending on your desired gateways, additional fees may apply.
Overall rating: 4.6 out of 5
Based on 42 authentic traveler reviews
Just book it!Lauren, traveled Sep. 2023
The Portugal and Spain trip was ultimately amazing. Despite being put on our tour last minute Thanos ensured we had the best time. The only negative really is the room accommodations- 6 girls to a room was not ideal. In the future i would only do EF trips that had the better accommodations. I traveled solo not knowing anyone, i was surprised when most people... See more
Book this trip!!Emily, traveled Sep. 2023
This trip is awesome. Our tour director Thanos is amazing. Would highly recommend.
Spain and Portugal getawaySamantha, traveled Aug. 2023
I highly recommend the Spain and Portugal getaway. My boyfriend and I had a wonderful trip. There was a good balance of activities and free time. Our tour director, Nick, helped make it an unforgettable experience.
Once in a life time trip!Anonymous, traveled Aug. 2023
I met the most amazing group of people and had an unforgettable time in Portugal and Spain. EF made my first trip to Europe very enjoyable. Our tour director Niko was the best! He gave us great recommendations, set up amazing optionals, and the trip was a once in a life time because of him. Highly recommend this trip and I hope more people get a chance to to... See more