There’s no denying it—seeing the only remaining Ancient Wonder, exploring 5,000 years of history, and cruising through a desert oasis are peak bucket list activities. So brush up on your hieroglyphics, because your next adventure is about to be mystical, magical, and wondrous.
Wondering if aliens exist as you gaze at the pyramids
Channeling your inner archeologist, translating hieroglyphics
Flying high above endless desert in a hot air balloon
Getting up close with a mummy at King Tut’s tomb
Losing yourself in the bustling streets and markets of Cairo
What you'll get
Round-trip flights & airport transfers (or book 'em yourself)
5 nights in handpicked accommodations
3 nights on a luxurious Egyptian cruise ship
7 dinners and 4 lunches
Expert Tour Director
24/7 support from our travel gurus
Insider tour of Cairo with local guide
Tour of Pyramids of Giza and the Great Sphinx
Felucca sailboat ride on the Nile
Visits to temples of Philae and Kom Ombo
Entrance to Egyptian Museum
- Day 1: Overnight Flight to Cairo
Read up on your pharaohs, board your overnight flight to Cairo, and channel your inner mummy for some shut eye. You’re about to uncover a trip you’ll never forget.
This tour requires a visa for U.S. citizens. Check entry requirements or call us with questions at 800-766-2645.
- Day 2: Arrive in Cairo + Travel to Giza
Welcome to Cairo! The capital city of Egypt is the starting point for your odyssey through ancient wonders and modern marvels. Cairo is an extraordinary city, home to nearly 20 million people, and the gateway to the Great Pyramids.
Please note: Getting to Egypt takes some time. Arrivals tend to be late on this day.
- Land at the airport and meet a waiting EF representative.
- Transfer to your hotel in Giza, check out your room, and start to meet your fellow travelers as they arrive.
- Unwind and refuel with an included buffet dinner or room service at your hotel in Giza.
- Day 3: Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx + Welcome Dinner
What would a trip to ancient Egypt be without spending your first full day at the oldest, and only remaining Wonder of the Ancient World, the Pyramids of Giza and the Great Sphinx will blow your mind. Two fun facts we love about the Great Pyramid: it was the tallest structure in the world for nearly 4,000 years; and Cleopatra lived closer in time to the moon landing than the construction of the Great Pyramid. This not a drill, people, this is one of humankind’s greatest accomplishments in the flesh.
In the evening, it’s time for your Welcome Dinner. Enjoy an authentic meal and drinks with fellow travelers. Then rest up for an early morning flight the next day to Aswan!
- Tour the grounds at the Giza Necropolis, where you’ll learn about the construction, excavation, and the pharaohs buried here.
- Experience the unrivaled majesty of the Great Pyramid of Giza.
- Shake paws with the Great Sphinx: part lion, part human, fully awesome.
- Feast on an included dinner after a long day of Egyptian history.
- Day 4: Fly to Aswan + Felucca Sailboat Ride
This morning, travel to Cairo where you’ll board a flight with your group to Aswan, a city on the Nile River known for its scenic river views, year-round warm weather, and countless archaeological sites. Aswan has it all! After checking into your hotel, climb aboard a felucca, a traditional sailboat, and ride past sights like Elephantine Island, and Agha Khan Mausoleum.
- Travel to Cairo and board your short morning flight from Cairo to Aswan.
- Check in to your next hotel in Aswan.
- Climb aboard a traditional felucca and sail along the Nile with your group, taking in panoramic views of the water from the Mausoleum of Aga Khan.
- Peep the famous granite rocks that resemble a herd of elephants bathing in the river.
- Enjoy an included dinner with your group.
- Day 5: Nile River Cruise: Aswan + Temple of Philae
Kiss the mainland goodbye this morning as you board your cruise ship for a 3-night, 4-day epic adventure on the Nile River, the longest river in Africa and disputed longest river in the world (Amazon who?!). After you’ve taken time to explore the Temple of Philae, work up an appetite shopping at the local markets so you can enjoy an included lunch back on the cruise ship.
- Begin your once-in-a-lifetime journey on the Nile River as you board your cruise ship in Aswan.
- Explore the Temple of Philae, located on an island in the Nile River.
- Shop ‘till you drop at the local markets and learn about perfume oils, Frankincense, and traditional local remedies.
- Kick back and take in the river views accompanied by an included lunch and dinner on the boat.
- Day 6: Nile River Cruise: Kom Ombo + Luxor
The fun continues! Head north to Kom Ombo, an agricultural town previously known as the “City of Gold.” Cue the Ooohs and Aaahs. And if gold doesn’t get your attention, maybe mummified crocodiles at the Temple of Kom Ombo will!
- Sail along the Nile and learn more about the region from a local Egyptologist on the ship.
- Dock in Kom Ombo and visit the ancient Temple of Kom Ombo, built during the Greco-Roman period.
- Learn about the Temple’s twin deities, Sobek and Horus, the crocodile god and the falcon-headed god, respectively.
- Feast on an included lunch after you’ve had your fill of crocs.
- Continue the journey north towards Luxor, and enjoy an included dinner along the way.
- Day 7: Nile River Cruise: Karnak + Luxor East Bank
On your last full cruise day, enjoy guided tours of both Karnak Temple and Luxor Temple. Enter Karnak Temple for a walking tour through the complex of pillars, statues and hieroglyphics. View the great hypostyle hall Precinct of Amun Re, walls of hieroglyphics, the sacred lake, Temple of Khonsu and statue of Ramses II. Finally, head to the Luxor Temple complex, located on the bank of Nile, for an early evening walking tour viewing Obelisks, the Avenue of Sphinxes, temple halls, statues and the Mosque of Abu Al Haggag.
- Pick your jaw up off the ground as you stroll through the sprawling temple complexes of Karnak and Luxor, which includes the Great Temple of Amun-Re and the Avenue of the Sphinxes.
- Admire the still-intact hieroglyphics decorating the walls and pillars. That one over there looks like it says “buy a round of beers for your group.” Weird!
- Visit a Papyrus shop to learn about traditional Egyptian paper followed by free time for shopping.
- Toast the Nile River farewell with a final included dinner on your Egyptian cruise ship.
- Day 8: Luxor West Bank + Optional Desert Sunrise Hot Air Balloon Ride
Here be mummies. This morning, behold the sacred sights of the West Bank of Luxor. For 500 years, this is where ancient Egyptians built tons of tombs and shrines to royalty including Queen Hatshepsut and King Tut. Explore the thusly named Valley of the Kings today, and do your best not to disturb any sleeping pharaohs.
- Listen closely as your guide teaches you about the Valley of the King’s many limestone tombs and their ancient inhabitants.
- Look straight up at the Colossi of Memnon—two 60-foot statues of Pharaoh Amenhotep.
- Climb the stairs of the reconstructed Temple of Queen Hatshepsut built into the cliffs.
- Visit the tomb of King Tut, the valley’s most famous resident, where for an extra cost, you may enter the burial chamber to see his mummy where it still lays at rest.
- Board your short afternoon flight from Luxor to Cairo.
Desert Sunrise Hot Air Balloon Ride (extra cost)
Hop in a hot air balloon before dawn and get a new perspective on Egypt as you witness a glorious sunrise from all the way up. See firsthand from the fertile Nile to the endless desert as far as the eye can see.
Why wait? Save money by booking this optional excursion before your trip departs.
- Day 9: Sightseeing Tour of Cairo + Farewell Dinner
It’s your last day in Egypt. You’ve almost climbed the metaphorical pyramid that is this trip. If you didn’t get enough ancient Egyptian education and experiences over the last 8 days, prepare to have your mind blown all over again at the world’s largest collection of ancient Egyptian artifacts and on a tour of Old Cairo. It’s all the Egyptian stuff you’ve ever learned about, but IRL.
Share some last laughs and revisit the best moments of the trip at this included farewell dinner with the group.
- Get lost with a professional guide among the Egyptian Museum—encompassing over 5,000 years of history—including King Tut’s famous golden mask.
- Float like a butterfly to the Muhammed Ali Mosque (named for the founder of modern Egypt, not the boxer) within the Salah El-Din Citadel overlooking the city.
- Day 10: Fly Home
Wadaeaan ya aisdiqa'!
Your next destination awaits—home. Before you head to the airport, make sure to take one more group photo and grab that final drink. Or if you’re feeling adventurous, we have a couple ways to keep your vacation going.
EXTEND YOUR TRIP 2 WAYS
1. Double the fun
A lot of our trips line up back to back! Give us a call—we can help you add another and save big while you're at it.
2. Go ahead or stay behind
Extending your trip is easy! During checkout, you'll have the option to fly to (or from) the gateway of your choice for an additional fee. We'll adjust your flights accordingly, but you'll be responsible to take care of your transportation, hotels, and other logistics outside of tour.
Note: Depending on your desired gateways, additional fees may apply.
Traveling with us helps the EF community plant trees, at no extra cost to you.
Overall rating: 4.9 out of 5
Based on 86 authentic traveler reviews
EgyptAnonymous, traveled Sep. 2023
It was very fun! Your guide Heba was very knowledgeable
Best week of my life!Anonymous, traveled Sep. 2023
Egypt was AMAZING! I definitely don't think I would have been able to see all the sights I did or travel through Egypt as a young woman alone. Group trips are definitely the way to go for Egypt in my opinion. Heba is a wonderfully knowledgeable, kind, and accommodating tour guide. I will say if you have asthma to bring your inhaler for this trip and maybe so... See more
Just book it!!!Amritha, traveled Aug. 2023
I would recommend this trip to anyone who wants to experience history, art, and architecture that will leave you breathless! Rasha was the best guide this trip could have, she taught us sooo much and really helped us understand everything from the temples’ locations to the hieroglyphic stories on the walls at every destination. She took such genuine care of ... See more
BOOK IT NOW…DON’T HESITATE! YOLO!!!Victoria, traveled Aug. 2023
This trip was incredible. A ton of activity (be prepared to go HARD, especially if you are going in the summer) but a truly once-in-a-lifetime experience. I made so many new friends that I wasn’t expecting to make and felt so welcome. Our tour director Rasha, our logistics coordinator Mena, all of our security guards and drivers were all so organized, kind, ... See more