Italy has something for everyone. You like history? Italy’s got it. What about art? Um, ever hear of Michelangelo? And don’t even get us started on the food. Everybody says it, but when pizza, pasta, wine, and gelato are readily available, life is just better. On this 11-day journey, you’ll start in Renaissance-land (aka Florence), then head south through ancient Rome, and eventually end your trip along the breathtaking Amalfi Coast. Life is beautiful. But life in Italy is beautiful…er.
What are the top highlights?
- Step into the Renaissance in Florence
- Indulge in Italian food and wine while taking in the Tuscan countryside
- Immerse yourself in ancient Rome with a tour of the Colosseum and Roman Forum
- Go on a fascinating tour of Pompeii, the city devastated by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 AD
- Drive down the Amalfi Coast and start to understand the true meaning of paradise
- Explore the area around Naples, where pizza is said to have originated
Your trip includes
- Round-trip flights & airport transfers
- Multilingual Tour Director & local guides
- Private deluxe motorcoach
- 9 nights in hand-picked accommodations
- Welcome Dinner with drinks
- Daily breakfast & three-course Farewell Dinner
- Skip-the-line entrances to the Colosseum
You’ll stay at accommodations hand-picked by our team of local experts, in rooms only for EF Ultimate Break travelers. Each property is located in a safe, convenient area. You’ll receive your exact accommodations 30 days before your trip departs.
Click **here **for examples of where you'll stay.
Admit it, booking flights is the worst. Here's why you should let us do it for you:
- Flight costs are included in your monthly payment plan, so you can pay over time
- Airport transfers are included, so we’ll be waiting, sign in hand
- Flights are booked with major airlines
- 24/7 support no matter what time zone you’re in
- One checked bag included on most flights
- Option to make changes to your trip up to 99 days before departure
Booking with a friend? Let us know and we’ll do our best to make sure you’re on the same flight. Still want to book your own flights? That’s cool, simply select ‘No flights included’ instead of your departure city in the ‘Flights from’ dropdown.
- Meet an EF representative at the airport.
- Transfer to your accommodation and check in.
- Receive the latest schedule from your Tour Director.
- Meet the other travelers as they arrive.
- Enter the Piazza della Singnoria, home of the Uffizi Gallery and the world’s most famous nude man, Michelangelo’s David.
- March your way across Ponte Vecchio, a medieval stone bridge with shops built along it (formerly butchers, now jewelers and souvenir shops).
- Visit the final resting place of some of the most illustrious Italians such as Michelangelo, Galileo, and Machiavelli at the Basilica di Santa Croce.
- Board your private coach, bound for Rome.
- Stop in Orvieto, a quaint Italian hill town that’s as fun to visit as it is to say in an Italian accent.
- Marvel at the artistry of the facade of Orvieto’s stunning cathedral, built in 1290 (no, that’s not a typo—it’s really that old).
- Arrive in Rome, surrounded by art, ruins, and 2.9 million people.
- Tour the city with a local guide who will show you why Rome is one of the most legendary cities in Europe.
- Experience the heart of ancient Rome with a visit to the Forum, once a hub of activity for the city.
- See the ruins of several Roman temples, including the Temple of the Vestal Virgins.
- Travel back to imperial Roman times and learn about Pompeii, the city covered in volcanic ash.
- Look up at Mt. Vesuvius, the deadly volcano that annihilated this city almost 2,000 years ago.
- Experience the buildings, artifacts and even people that have been extremely well preserved over the years.
- Travel by bus along the picturesque Amalfi Coast with a local guide.
- Enjoy a guided walking tour as you make your way to the hilltop town of Ravello.
- Explore the impressive, perfectly manicured Villa Rufolo Gardens, and don’t forget to take a moment to look down at the deep blue sea below.
- Head into a local pastry shop for a tasting (you know, for science) of some authentic Italian lemon cake.
Day 1: Overnight Flight
Board your overnight flight, bound for Italy. Get ready to eat spaghetti on penne on linguine on fettuccine on gnocchi on ravioli on chocolate gelato (not literally, but maybe literally).
Day 2: Arrive in Florence
Welcome to Florence, Tuscany’s top city! The “Cradle of the Renaissance” helped usher in a more modern Europe thanks to its transformative effect on arts and architecture. Cozy up to the to top art museums, amazing food and great nightlife; Florence is Italy at its best.
In the evening, enjoy a Welcome Dinner of local cuisine and drinks with fellow travelers at an authentic local spot. Afterwards, you’re free to take the party elsewhere!
Day 3: Tour Florence
Get up, grab a cappuccino, and step out in the beautiful city of Florence. Join a local guide as you walk to some of the most famous sights in the city while taking mental notes of the best smelling restaurants you pass for later. After all, it is Italy and food is kind of a big deal.
Day 4: Free Day in Florence
Whether you taste-test your way through the cafes, get lost on purpose in the lively piazzas, or spend hours soaking up Renaissance history in the various museums, your free day in Florence is sure to be a good one! Especially if you top it off with a glass (or bottle) of Chianti.
Free Time Suggestions
Loggia dei Lanzi: Get some fresh air at this open air sculpture museum, with a number of Renaissance statues. It’s beautiful, it’s in the open, and it’s free.
Leather goods: Florence is known for its plethora of leather goods, from belts and jewelry to purses and wallets. Maybe you can finally buy that leather jacket you’ve always wanted but didn’t think you could pull off. Fun fact: you can.
Day 5: Travel to Rome via Orvieto
Travel to Rome via Orvieto. Goodbye, Tuscan countryside. Hello, Rome, Italy’s capital city that is bursting at the seams with energy. Locals fill the streets, day and night, usually doing something that involves eating or drinking. And how can you blame them when pasta, pizza, gelato, coffee, and wine are everywhere you look? Rome is all big city/ancient ruins, served with a side of spaghetti.
Day 6: Tour Rome + Optional Catacombs of Rome
They say all roads lead to Rome, but once you’re there you quickly realize that all roads actually lead to restaurants. Take the morning to satisfy your cravings and sip some espresso, then see perhaps the most staggeringly important building you can possibly see in Europe: the Roman Colosseum.
Roman Catacombs & St. Paul's Basilica(extra cost)
Rome has a bit of a spooky side. Travel deep underground to catacombs built by early Christians. Then, head to St. Paul’s Basilica. Existing since at least 324 AD, they say St. Paul himself is buried there.
Why wait? Save money by booking this optional excursion before your trip departs.
Day 7: Free Day in Rome + Optional Visit to the Vatican
Today you get to explore centuries worth of culinary perfection, unbelievable architecture, and local fashion on your own. And let it be said, Rome looks goooood for being 2,000 years old. (It must moisturize.) Shop, eat, drink, and talk like an Italian (with your hands) during your free day. Embrace the culture and indulge in carbs during your last day in the Eternal City.
Free Time Suggestions
Piazza Navona: Head over to Piazza Navona, one of Rome’s best known public squares. Fountains, street performers, shops, restaurants, and so much more. Hangout, sip coffee, and embrace the atmosphere of this outdoor hub.
Trevi Fountain: Rumor has it, if turn your back to the Trevi Fountain and toss a coin over your shoulder, it guarantees you’ll return to the Eternal City. Throw in a second coin, and you’ll not only come back, but also find love. (Significant other not guaranteed by EF Ultimate Break.)
A Visit to the Vatican(extra cost)
Visit the Pope’s house: Vatican City. Take a guided tour of the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's Basilica, and get your dose of art history up close and personal—viewing Michelangelo's famed Sistine Chapel frescoes.
This excursion is pre-book only; please call 800-766-2645 to purchase if your trip is less than 30 days away.
Day 8: Travel to Naples Region via Pompeii
As you make your way to the Naples Region, join a local guide for a walking tour of the ancient city of Pompeii, which stands frozen in time after Mt. Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD, completely destroying the town.
Day 9: Free Day in Naples Region + Optional Capri Trip
The day is yours to do as you wish, like enjoying the thing that Naples is known for: that bready, cheesy, tomato sauce topped stuff we call pizza. Or join your Tour Director for an excursion to Capri. Trust us, you haven’t lived lavishly until you’ve cruised around the island of Capri.
Capri Cruisin'(extra cost)
Ferry across the Bay of Naples then around the Isle of Capri, gawking at the incredible Arco Naturale and the famous Faraglioni rocks. Then travel by funicular railway to the ancient mountaintop island resort.
Why wait? Save money by booking this optional excursion before your trip departs.
Day 10: Explore the Amalfi Coast
The Amalfi Coast is a 30+ mile stretch of coastline that happens to be pure Italian perfection—quaint towns, high cliffs towering over crashing Mediterranean waves, and enchanting views that never end. Today, you get to see al of it for yourself. Ready your camera, make room in your stomach for cake, and don’t even think about blinking. Okay you can blink. But quickly—you don’t want to miss this.
Share some last laughs (and maybe shed a few tears) at an included farewell dinner with the group.
Day 11: Fly Home
Translation: Goodbye, friends. Your next destination awaits—home. Before you head to the airport, enjoy your last few moments together. Take one more group photo. Grab that final drink. (Fine, maybe a couple of drinks.) But this isn’t goodbye. It’s “See you later.” The only question is, where?
EXTEND YOUR TRIP 2 WAYS
1. Double the fun
A lot of our trips line up back to back! Give us a call—we can help you add another and save big while you're at it.
2. Go ahead or stay behind
Extending your trip is easy! During checkout, you'll have the option to fly to (or from) the gateway of your choice for an additional fee. We'll adjust your flights accordingly, but you'll be responsible to take care of your transportation, hotels, and other logistics outside of tour.
Note: Depending on your desired gateways, additional fees may apply.