When it comes to history, Italy and Greece are second to none. Ancient history? They invented it. Art history? The Uffizi says hi. Architectural history? Boom, Acropolis. Is food history a thing? Check. With all that history and more, this is a trip that'll go down in history, too.
Planning a trip with a group? Rally a crew of friends and you could travel for free. Find out more
Eating the cacio e pepe you typically dream about
Posing in front of the cotton-candy Santorini sunset
Tossing a coin into the Trevi Fountain (tip: right hand over left shoulder)
Channeling ancient goddesses atop the Acropolis
What you'll get
Round-trip flights & airport transfers (or book 'em yourself)
3 ferry rides
13 nights in handpicked accommodations
Expert Tour Director
24/7 support from our travel gurus
2 insider Italian-city tours with local guides
Tour of the Acropolis in Athens
- Day 1: Overnight Flight
Board your overnight flight. You’re heading to Italy & Greece, the yin and yang of classical history; home to endless sunshine and stylish Mediterranean living.
- Day 2: Arrive in Florence + Welcome Dinner
Welcome to Florence, Tuscany’s top city! The “Cradle of the Renaissance” helped usher in a more modern Europe thanks to its transformative effect on arts and architecture. Cozy up to the to top art museums, amazing food and great nightlife; Florence is Italy at its best.
In the evening, enjoy a Welcome Dinner of local cuisine and drinks with fellow travelers at an authentic local spot. Afterwards, you’re free to take the party elsewhere!
- Meet an EF representative at the airport.
- Transfer to your accommodation and check in.
- Receive the latest schedule from your Tour Director.
- Meet the other travelers as they arrive.
- Day 3: Explore Florence
Join a local guide for a spirited walking tour featuring the best of the city’s Renaissance artwork.
*Note: There is no included entry to the Duomo during the guided sightseeing on this day, but travelers will have free time to return if they choose
- Cross the Ponte Vecchio, the oldest bridge in Florence, home to many jewelers and art merchants.
- Stroll the Piazza della Signoria, where you’ll find Uffizi Gallery and a copy of Michelangelo’s David.
- Check out the celebrated Baptistry doors, the first product of the Renaissance.
- Visit the Duomo Cathedral; return during your free time to climb up 463 steps for stunning views of the city.
Free time suggestions
Take a Hike: Snap the perfect picture of Florence’s skyline after hiking up to San Miniato al Monte.
Shop 'til You Drop: The area between Ponte Vecchio and the Duomo is our favorite.
- Day 4: Free Day or Cinque Terre excursion*
Lay your eyes on the most beautiful coastal scenery anywhere, Cinque Terre. Discover mountainside villages, iconic colorful seaside buildings, and spend the rest of your day on the pebble beaches of Monterosso.
*Seasonal. The Cinque Terre excursion runs for departures between the dates of 4/28-9/27. Departures outside these dates will enjoy a free day in Florence.
- Take an AM bus to Levanto for an hour-long boat ride with views of quaint oceanfront villages.
- Disembark at Manarola, famed for colorful buildings that dot the cliffs of its picturesque harbor.
- Hop a train to Monterosso for an afternoon of exploring and beach time.
- Day 5: Travel to Rome via Orvieto + Included Dinner
Board your private coach for a delightful drive through the Tuscan countryside en route to Rome.
- On the way to Rome, stop in Orvieto, a quaint Italian hill town perched atop a rock cliff.
- Marvel at the artistry of the facade of Orvieto’s stunning cathedral.
- Look out at the cypress-dotted plains of Umbria.
- Enjoy an included dinner in Rome.
- Day 6: Explore Rome
They say all roads lead to Rome, but once you’re there you quickly realize that all roads actually lead to restaurants. Take the morning to satisfy your cravings and sip some espresso, then experience everything ancient Rome has to offer with a local guide.
- Tour the city with a local guide who will show you why Rome is one of the most legendary cities in Europe.
- Experience the heart of ancient Rome with a visit to the Forum, once a hub of activity for the city.
- See the ruins of several Roman temples, including the Temple of the Vestal Virgins.
- Day 7: Free Day in Rome + Optional Vatican City
Today you get to explore centuries worth of culinary perfection, unbelievable architecture, and local fashion on your own. And let it be said, Rome looks goooood for being 2,000 years old. (It must moisturize.) Shop, eat, drink, and talk like an Italian (with your hands) during your free day. Embrace the culture and indulge in carbs during your last day in the Eternal City. Plus, if you're up for it, join an optional excursion to the Vatican.
- Explore the bustling streets and famous sights while enjoying a cone of gelato.
- Soak in the history by exploring ancient ruins.
- Act like a fashonista on Via del Corso, the main street in historical center of Rome lined with brand names and local eateries.
Free time suggestions
Capitoline Museum: Strike a pose with sculptures of ancient romans (face-swaps recommended). Up on a hill overlooking the Forum, this museum has some amazing ancient sculptures.
Piazza, please!: Head over to Piazza Navona, one of Rome’s best known public squares. Fountains, street performers, shops, restaurants, and so much more. Hangout, sip coffee, and embrace the atmosphere of this outdoor hub. Share some last laughs (and maybe shed a few tears) at an included farewell dinner with the group.
A Visit to the Vatican (extra cost)
Visit the Pope’s house: Vatican City. Take a guided tour of the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's Basilica, and get your dose of art history up close and personal—viewing Michelangelo's famed Sistine Chapel frescoes.
Please note: The Vatican is closed on Sundays. In the event that the itinerary day containing this optional lands on a Sunday for your departure, the optional will take place the day before.
This excursion is pre-book only; if your trip is less than 90 days away, please call 800-766-2645 to purchase. This excursion is also non-refundable 95 days prior to departure.
- Day 8: Travel to Athens
Welcome to Athens! This city is at least 5,000 years old, but hardly looks a day over 25 (when you look past the historic structures and ancient statues). What we’re trying to say is, Athens is a beautiful city filled with art, literature, history, and about a million Instagram-worthy spots.
- Board your flight to Athens.
- Arrive and check in to accommodation.
Free time suggestions
Fill Up: Sample ouzo, the local anise-flavored aperitif, at an authentic Greek restaurant, locally known as a taverna.
Dig It: The National Archaeology Museum is considered one of the greatest museums in the world, with pieces ranging from Greek sculptures to Egyptian Antiquities. Mama Mia! That’s quite a collection.
- Day 9: Sightseeing Tour of Athens + Included Dinner
The remains of some historically significant and crazy old structures still stand in this ancient citadel, including the Parthenon and the Temple of Athena Nike. So yeah, it’s kind of a big deal. The rest of the day is yours to explore Athens.
- Step back in time in the historic Acropolis of Athens with your local guide.
- See the Propylaea, the Theatre of Dionysus, and a bunch of other structures you’ll need your guide’s help to pronounce.
- Take in incredible panoramic views of Athens from the citadel’s hilltop vantage point, and understand why the ancient city’s name translates to “high city”.
- Enjoy an included dinner in Athens.
- Day 10: Travel to Santorini
Escape the hustle and bustle of Athens and immerse in island life, Mediterranean style. After a ferry ride to Santorini, you’ll enjoy endless sunshine, whitewashed buildings and volcanic beaches.
- Board your ferry to Santorini.
- Arrive and check in to your accommodation.
- Join your Tour Director for a group activity or explore the island on your own.
Free time suggestions
Fira Way: Check out the cliffside bars, which overlook the Caldera and are a great vantage point for sunset.
Beach Time: Visit one of Santorini’s top beaches for an evening swim—there are dozens to choose from.
- Day 11: Free Day in Santorini + Optional Wine Tasting
Continue to explore Santorini’s volcanic landscape. You have one more day in this island paradise; head out for an optional wine tasting at sunset, or do your own thing.
- Join your Tour Director for a hand-picked a group activity or plot your own adventure; you’re free to customize your day however you’d like!
Free time suggestions
The Found City of Atlantis: The Akrotiri Ruins are a Minoan Bronze Age settlement buried in volcanic dust, this site predates Pompeii and is considered by many to be the famed lost city of Atlantis.
The Thira of Everything: This Greek and Roman archaeological site is perched high atop the cliffs on the southeast part of the island.
Museum On: The Archaeological Museum of Thera and the Museum of Prehistoric Thera are great options.
Cliffside wine tasting & village tour (extra cost)
Quaint villages, wine, and a breathtaking sunset—it doesn’t get more Greek than this.
Why wait? Save money by booking this optional excursion before your trip departs.
- Day 12: Set Sail for Paros
Set sail for Paros in the heart of the Cyclades Islands. With over 75 miles of golden sand beaches, Paros is one of the true delights of the Greek Islands. This is where locals go to vacation.
- Depart Santorini in the morning.
- Arrive in Paros and check in to your accommodation.
- Join your Tour Director for a hand-picked a group activity, or plot your own adventure; you’re free to customize your day any way you’d like!
Free time suggestions
Sunset: Enjoy a legendary Paros sunset anywhere on the western coast of the island.
Naoussa Nightlife: When the sun sets, everyone on the island heads from the beaches to the bars; Naoussa is where it begins and ends.
- Day 13: Free Day in Paros
Keep exploring the best of Paros. Recharge, relax and spend the days under the blue skies on one of the island’s best beaches. Bring a bottle of wine, a book and your personal playlist—you’re in a beach paradise.
- Free day! Your Tour Director may coordinate a group activity, but you’re welcome to experience Paros as you’d like.
Free time suggestions
Chill Out: Try a quiet meal or drink inland at the village of Lefkes, a serene and rustic village in the hills above the beaches.
Go Back in Time: Stroll Parikia’s narrow, pebble-lined streets and the Frankish Castle built from the masonry originally used on an ancient temple.
- Day 14: Travel to Athens + Farewell Dinner
Back to the azure waters of the Aegean, this time returning to Athens via ferry. Once you’re back on land, enjoy one last dinner with your group.
- Board your ferry to Athens.
- Share some laughs (and maybe shed a few tears) at an included Farewell Dinner.
- Day 15: Fly Home
Translation: Goodbye, friends. Your next destination awaits—home. Before you head to the airport, enjoy your last few moments together. Take one more group photo. Grab that final drink. (Fine, maybe a couple of drinks.) But this isn’t goodbye. It’s “See you later.” The only question is, where?
EXTEND YOUR TRIP 2 WAYS
1. Double the fun
A lot of our trips line up back to back! Give us a call—we can help you add another and save big while you're at it.
2. Go ahead or stay behind
Extending your trip is easy! During checkout, you'll have the option to fly to (or from) the gateway of your choice for an additional fee. We'll adjust your flights accordingly, but you'll be responsible to take care of your transportation, hotels, and other logistics outside of tour.
Note: Depending on your desired gateways, additional fees may apply.
Overall rating: 5 out of 5
Based on 313 authentic traveler reviews
Book this trip!!!!!Hannah, traveled Sep. 2021
Best thing I ever did for myself. If I could give it 10 stars I would. This was my first EF trip and I’m already looking into booking a few more. I went solo and didn’t know anyone on this trip and left with some of the best friends, we already have trips planned to see each other. Italy & Greece are stunning and I loved every single stop. I would recommend ... See more
Pretty goodAnonymous, traveled Oct. 2023
It was amazing
Stratos is the BESTSarah, traveled Oct. 2023
Couldn’t have asked for a better trip and a better guide. The transfers were seamless and the recommendations were incredible! I would give 10 stars if I could.
The best first abroad experienceAnonymous, traveled Oct. 2023
I will forever hold this trip in my heart. I loved my group. I loved my tour director. I loved experiencing Italy and Greece with my Husband. I loved the art, food, and culture! What's not to love?