Go off the grid to discover Africa’s Big Five: lions, elephants, leopards, rhinos, and Cape buffalos. You’ll explore Kenya the right way, visiting national parks dedicated to the preservation of wildlife.
Capturing photos of wild animals you never dreamed of seeing
Flying high above a game reserve in a hot air balloon
Watching elephants roam free with Mt. Kilimanjaro as their backdrop
Hanging with giraffes and wondering if they’re dinosaurs in disguise
Getting to know the people and traditions of the Maasai tribe
What you'll get
Round-trip flights & airport transfers (or book 'em yourself)
7 nights in handpicked accommodations
7 dinners (6 buffet dinners, 1 Bush Dining Experience)
2 game drives in Amboseli National Park
2 game drives in Maasai Mara Game Reserve
Visit to Lake Naivasha
Expert Tour Director
- Day 1: Overnight Flight to Kenya
Traveling to Africa is no everyday getaway. It’s a big deal, well worth the long ride, and can be a culture shock without the right people there to guide you along (*cough* us *cough*). Whether this is your first time out of the country, or your tenth time south of the Sahara, Kenya is going to rock your Swahili socks off. You’re headed to Africa’s premiere safari destination.
This tour requires a visa for U.S. citizens. Check entry requirements or call us with questions at 800-766-2645.
- Day 2: Arrive in Nairobi
Welcome to Kenya! You’re in the capital city of Nairobi. This fast-growing metropolis is a wild hybrid of urban spaces and open parkland. And that parkland is home to what you really came here for: the world’s largest hot dog eating contest! Nah, JK, we know it’s all about the lions, elephants, rhinos, giraffes, leopards, zebras, and so many more. Get ready to get wild in Africa!
- Land at the airport and meet a waiting EF representative.
- Transfer to your hotel, check out your room, and start to meet your fellow travelers as they arrive.
- Get familiar with the area around your hotel with an introductory walk with your Tour Director.
- Day 3: Nairobi Markets + Welcome Dinner
Mornin’ sleepyhead! We're starting your day off right with an authentic Nairobi experience. First up, Kobe Tough Beads & Leather—your go-to for ceramic bead jewelry, leather goods, and handcrafted souvenirs. Starting to crash from all the shopping around? Don’t sweat, we’ll regroup for lunch to recharge and refuel. Then we’re right back at it for the Ngara spice and vegetable market. Sample local delicacies, then follow your nose through the rows of exotic spices. As the afternoon winds down, we'll head back to the hotel, to relax and unwind after a bustling day of exploration. But don't get too comfortable yet— enjoy a Welcome Dinner with fellow travelers. Afterwards, you’re free to take the party elsewhere!
- Make your way through the vibrant jewelry markets of Nairobi—psst, bring your friends back home a little something from the vendors!
- Savor the local flavors of Kenyan spices then walk it off as you roam the various stalls.
- Return to the hotel and fill back up on an included dinner.
- Day 4: Travel to Amboseli National Park + Game Drive
The Planet Earth-iness of this trip is about to get turned up to 100. Today’s game drive is just a morning bus ride away, at the unbelievable Amboseli National Park. Enjoy the “3 E’s” of Amboseli: Elephants, Exciting views of Mt. Kilimanjaro, and ‘Eeeek look at that bird!’
- Fuel up for the day with an included breakfast and lunch—if you get a chance to try Kenyan food, be sure to sample ugali (maize porridge) and nyama choma (roasted goat).
- Feel a lot of feelings at the sight of wild elephant herds in what is largely regarded as the best place on Earth to see these immense and immensely cool creatures.
- Bow down to the only thing here bigger than the elephants: Mt. Kilimanjaro.
- Dig into an included dinner back at the game drive lodge.
- Day 5: Full Day Game Drive at Amboseli National Park
Enjoy another full day of singing The Lion King songs as you go searching for Simbas, Scars, and Pumbaas IRL. Strap on your game drive hat (that’s a thing you brought, right?), today you get a full day of exploring Amboseli National Park’s incredibly diverse offerings.
- Spend a full day game drive on the prowl for a veritable alphabet soup of every animal from antelope to zebra.
- Pay special attention to the ecology of Amboseli National Park—it’s a powerful testament to the importance of conservation and undisturbed wilderness.
- Recharge with a relaxing evening, and an included dinner.
- Day 6: Travel to Great Rift Valley Lakes + Optional Lake Naivasha Boat Safari
Today you’re going to where humankind likely originated over 6 million years ago: Africa’s Great Rift Valley. While you probably won’t see Homo sapiens fossils, you might see volcanoes, you’ll definitely see some giant lakes, and you bet your tailfeather you’ll see lots of flamingos.
- Arrive at Lake Naivasha and Lake Elementaita and play favorites deciding which lake is best.
- Keep an eye out for hippos—unclear at this time if these are the normal kind or the hungry, hungry kind.
- Meet your guests sharing the lakes with you: zebras, warthogs, gazelles, and all types of birds.
Lake Naivasha boat safari (extra cost)
Spot hippos and some of the 400 different bird species on this aquatic safari adventure.
- Day 7: Travel to Maasai Mara + Explore Maasai Mara National Park
Every year, millions of wildebeests, zebras, and gazelles in Kenya and Tanzania run in a gigantic clockwise circle to take advantage of seasonal grazing opportunities. They’re the original trendy eaters, and we hear plains grass is *so* hot right now. Anyway, they tend to spend July-September in Kenya, specifically in Maasai Mara National Park. So, welcome to their summer home! Whether you’re here when they are, or in their off season, you will be stunned.
- Do whatever you have to do to keep your eyes wide open on your private bus ride to Maasai Mara National Park.
- Embark on a game drive through this gigantic nature reserve that’s roughly ½ the size of Rhode Island.
- Munch on an included dinner, and swap stories that start with “OMG you will not BELIEVE what I saw an elephant do today…”
- Day 8: Maasai Mara Game Drive + Optional Excursions + Bush Dining Farewell Dinner
Maasai Mara gets its name from the way the plains look “spotted” by acacia trees and shrubs in every direction. Fittingly, see what cool animals you can spot on today’s full-day game drive. Kind of like a game of bingo, but with bonus points if you see the king of the freakin’ jungle.
Bush Dining Experience Farewell Dinner
Share some last laughs, revisit the best moments of the trip and dine under the stars at this included farewell dinner with the group.
- Head out there with your guide and spend the morning and afternoon looking for lions, leopards, elephants, buffalo, rhinos, hippos, crocodiles, ostriches, antelopes, gazelles, and gosh we can keep going but we’ll let you see it for yourself.
- Get your camera ready to take the cute cat video to end all cute cat videos if you see a lion or cheetah.
- Cool down with some shade, free time, and food back in the game lodge at the end of the day.
Sunrise Hot Air Balloon Safari (extra cost)
Start your morning the Maasai Mara way: tracking animals from way up high in a hot air balloon. Enjoy an included breakfast and champagne as you drift across the plains in search of the majestic big cats.
Why wait? Save money by booking this optional excursion before your trip departs.
Maasai Tribe Village Visit (extra cost)
If you want to understand Kenya, you need to talk to the Maasai tribe. Travel to a village to learn about life in the Serengeti, and you'll even a chance to purchase a must-have souvenir of handcrafted jewelry.
Why wait? Save money by booking this optional excursion before your trip departs.
- Day 9: Overnight Flight Home
Translation: Goodbye, friends. Before you head to the airport, make sure to take one more group photo and grab that final drink. But this isn’t goodbye because you can always get the gang back together for another trip soon. Or if you’re feeling adventurous, we have a couple ways to keep your vacation going.
EXTEND YOUR TRIP 2 WAYS
1. Double the fun
A lot of our trips line up back to back! Give us a call—we can help you add another and save big while you're at it.
2. Go ahead or stay behind
Extending your trip is easy! During checkout, you'll have the option to fly to (or from) the gateway of your choice for an additional fee. We'll adjust your flights accordingly, but you'll be responsible to take care of your transportation, hotels, and other logistics outside of tour.
Note: Depending on your desired gateways, additional fees may apply.
- Day 10: Arrive Home
Overall rating: 4.9 out of 5
Based on 69 authentic traveler reviews
See the Lion King in real life, but BETTERRachel, traveled Aug. 2021
If you're someone like me who loves watching wildlife shows on TV, book this trip. I mean it, just do it. I cannot even begin to explain the overall raw Earth experience that this trip provided. Seeing these beautiful animals in their natural habitat, not confined in a cages in a zoo and living their best lives, was absolutely otherworldly. The accommodation... See more
Don't Think - Just Book ItTaylor, traveled Feb. 2024
This was my first solo trip and I could not have had a better experience. Everyone in my group was incredibly nice and easy to get along with. The highlight of the trip was getting to know the five other people I shared a jeep with. We were all solo travelers and I felt like I gained five best friends by the end of the trip. The sights in the parks were out ... See more
Adventure in AfricaPreston, traveled Dec. 2023
Kenya was awesome! Our tour guide Eric and his team were great at teaching us about the different animals as we discovered them in the different parks. He also went out of his way to show us all members of the big 5 while we were there. The places we stayed at were great too. If you thinking about doing this trip… DO IT!
My favorite trip ever!!Monica, traveled Nov. 2023
Kenya was the best trip I have ever taken. Our safari driver Mustafa was so passionate about wildlife and answered all our questions while driving us around. He always made sure we got the best photo of the animals, too. The pace of this trip was the perfect mix between adventure and relaxation, and the hotels we stayed at were incredible! I loved every part... See more