South Africa Expedition
From $3739 with flightsPayments as low as $120
South Africa brings a lot to the table. Like two cities brimming with history and culture, stunning coastlines, and a national park home to lions, elephants, and rhinos. In fact, it brings Table Mountain to the table, too.
Capturing photos of wild animals you never dreamed of seeing
Gazing out at Cape Town from the top of Table Mountain
Visiting the former home of President Nelson Mandela
Diving into the waves of the (very) south Atlantic
Sipping on wine just feet from where the grapes are grown
What you'll get
Round-trip flights & airport transfers
8 nights in handpicked accommodations
Expert Tour Director
2 insider tours with local guides
Excursion to Cape Peninsula
Full-day game drive at Kruger National Park
- Day 1: Overnight flight
You’ve got a long journey ahead of you before those travel dreams become IRL experiences. So, recline that seat and start counting lions, elephants, and rhinos until you zonk out.
- Day 2: Arrive in Cape Town
Welcome to Cape Town, one of South Africa’s three capital cities—head to your hotel and get some rest. Tomorrow, the adventure begins.
- Land at the airport and meet an EF representative.
- Transfer to your accommodations, check in, and start to meet your fellow travelers.
- Day 3: Tour Cape Town + optional Robben Island tour
We’re gonna go out on a limb and assume that Cape Town is the farthest south you’ve ever been, so that’s cool. Today, you’ll soak in the sights and catch up on the city’s history with a local guide.
- Ride by cable car to the peak of iconic Table Mountain.
- Walk the vibrant streets of the colorful Bo-Kaap neighborhood.
- Enjoy a Welcome Dinner with fellow travelers at an authentic local spot.
Robben Island visit (extra cost)
Tour the Robben Island prison, a UNESCO site where Nelson Mandela was jailed for 18 years.
- Day 4: Visit Cape Peninsula
Today you’ll put the cape in Cape Town. Explore Cape Peninsula and the famous Cape of Good Hope—home to ridiculous views, colorful plant life, and a bunch of s’cute animals.
- Take the scenic route south and gaze at Clifton and Camps Bay beaches.
- Look out at the south Atlantic from the Cape Point Lighthouse.
- Keep your eyes peeled for penguins during an included lunch in Simon Town.
- Day 5: Free day in Cape Town + optional winelands tasting and lunch
You’ve got one more day in Cape Town, and how you spend it is totally up to you. Make it a beach day, shop ’til ya drop, or go pinkies up on an optional getaway.
Free time suggestions
Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden: Get lost in the colors of South Africa as you wander one of the world’s most renowned gardens. Try exploring from above on the Centenary Tree Canopy Walkway.
Camps Bay: Walk the white-sand beach, visit restaurants and clubs, and shop the shops of Cape Town’s affluent Camps Bay neighborhood.
Cape winelands visit and lunch (extra cost)
Visit Stellenbosch to sip on the cape’s finest wines (Pinotage, anyone?) and enjoy a light lunch.
- Day 6: Travel to Johannesburg + guided sightseeing
Next up, Joburg. Founded as a gold-mining town, Johannesburg is now the largest city in South Africa and home to a booming arts, music, and food scene.
- Fly from Cape Town to Johannesburg and check into your new hotel.
- Get a feel for the city as you explore with a local guide.
- See Nelson Mandela’s house as you walk down Vilakazi Street.
- Day 7: Travel to Kruger region
Grab a window seat on your private charter and watch the South African landscape roll on by. Kruger National Park—home to hundreds of rare animal species—awaits.
- Check into your new hotel near the animal sanctuary.
- Charge your phone, grab your binoculars, and prepare for tomorrow.
- Day 8: Full day game drive at Kruger National Park
OMG. Okay. It’s happening. Set out for a full day of game drives as you seek out Africa’s big 5: lions, elephants, leopards, rhinos, and cape buffalo.
- See hyenas, zebras, wildebeests, warthogs and the rest of the Lion King cast.
- Join your group for lunch in a private boma in the park.
- Show off your best photos during an included dinner with your group.
- Day 9: Travel to Johannesburg + Farewell Dinner
Whew, yesterday was a lot. So today you’ll take the scenic route aka the Panorama Route back to Joburg. The views on this drive are some of the best in the world, and there’ll be plenty of stops to breathe it all in.
- Say so long to South Africa as you gasp at some of its most beautiful landscapes.
- Share some laughs (and maybe shed a few tears) at an included Farewell Dinner with your group.
- Day 10–11: Fly home
Your next destination awaits—home. But this isn’t goodbye. It’s “See you later.” The only question is, where?
Traveling with us helps the EF community plant trees, at no extra cost to you.