For some, it’s a religious odyssey. For others, it’s a connection with the natural world. And, well, some people just really like falafel. From the clubs of Tel Aviv to the desert dunes of Jordan to the waters of the Dead Sea, this trip is ancient, modern, and epic.
Floating in the Dead Sea, the lowest point on Earth
Posing on the peak of a desert dune at sunset
Flying high above Wadi Rum in a hot air balloon
Exploring ancient ruins in the ancient city of Jerusalem
Paying respects at some of the holiest sites in world religion
What you'll get
Round-trip flights & airport transfers
10 nights in handpicked accommodations
Welcome and farewell dinners
Expert Tour Director
24/7 support from our travel gurus
Insider tours of Petra, Jerusalem and Tel Aviv with local guides
Entrance to the Petra ruins
Admission to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
4x4 tour of Wadi Rum Desert Valley
- Day 1: Overnight Flight
Board your overnight flight to Jordan. Prepare to start referring to this country as habibi (Arabic for “sweetheart”) ‘cause you’re gonna love it here. Sit back, relax, and dream dreams of falafel fairies, you’ll be there soon!
- Day 2: Arrive in Jordan + Welcome Dinner
Welcome to Amman! The capital city of Jordan is a bustling metropolis with all of the amenities you could want, the friendly chatter of Arabic in the streets, plus beautifully preserved ancient ruins. Get ready, you’re just at the beginning of your epic adventure through the Middle East!
- Land at the airport and meet a waiting EF representative.
- Transfer to your hotel to check in and check out your room.
- Get familiar with the area around your hotel with an introductory walk with your Tour Director.
- Enjoy a Welcome Dinner of local cuisine and drinks with fellow travelers at an authentic local spot.
- Day 3: Explore Jerash Ruins + Dead Sea Swim
Take a day trip to Jerash, sometimes known as “The Pompeii of the East.” Not to worry, no volcanoes here, just perfectly preserved Greco-Roman ruins. Then, head to the Dead Sea for a dip in the water on the lowest point on Earth. Is this day gonna rule? You bet Jerash it is.
- Strut down the colonnaded streets of Jerash like an emperor, stopping at Hadrian’s Arch, built to commemorate an (actual) emperor’s visit in 129 AD.
- Get in the ring at the Hippodrome—an ancient Greek arena used for… You guessed it: Horse racing!
- See what swimming in water ten times saltier than the ocean feels like in the out-of-this-world Dead Sea.
- Head back to Amman for some more sightseeing with your Tour Director.
- Day 4: Travel to Wadi Rum + Sunset Camel Ride
Dead Sea? Check. Ancient ruins? Check. Big city? Check. What are you missing? A trip through the desert, of course! It wouldn’t be Jordan without an adventure into the sandy south of the country to watch the dry landscape become a stunning watercolor of purples, pinks, and oranges as the sun sets. The Wadi Rum Desert Valley has been occupied by humans for practically forever. Keep an eye out for depictions of antelope carved into the sandstone walls over 7,000 years ago.
- Stop en route to Wadi Rum at Kerak to check out a big ol’ castle built by Christian Crusaders in the 1100s.
- Continue on to Wadi Rum—you might recognize this place from countless movies, including The Martian and several Star Wars films.
- Travel—via camel caravan—to a desert vista perfect for watching the sun go down.
- Sip Bedouin tea and sample some snacks before returning to Wadi Rum Village for an included dinner.
- Day 5: Explore Petra Ruins + Optional Sunrise Hot Air Balloon Ride
Behold! One of the most magnificent feats in ancient architecture. Petra, the Sandstone City, awaits you through a winding and spectacular canyon. You’ll be wowed, you’ll be awed, you’ll say things you’ve never said before, like “what in the name of Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson?!” How has it all been so well preserved? Well, let’s just say it’s been Petra-fied.
- Join a local guide for a Siq walk—that means canyon, but also yes, it is pretty sick—of Petra.
- Ask yourself “where has my breath gone?” when the world-famous Al-Khazneh temple carved into the cliffs takes it away.
- End your day with another included dinner in Wadi Rum.
Hot Air Balloon in Wadi Rum (extra cost)
Rise and shine, and then rise again—really, really high, in a hot air balloon. Get killer sunrise views of Wadi Rum and all its Mars-like glory from the wonderful vantage point that only a hot air balloon can provide.
This excursion is pre-book only; if your trip is less than twenty days away, please call 800-766-2645 to purchase.
- Day 6: Wadi Rum Desert Jeep Ride + Travel to Israel
Call it a Jeep, call it a 4x4, call it like it is: an amazing way to see Jordan. Today you’re taking a 4x4 tour of the Wadi Rum Desert Valley to check it out in ways you couldn’t by foot. Oases, wild rock formations, and even the house Lawrence of Arabia used to live in. Take it all in on your last day in the country, and get ready to add a little Hebrew to your vocabulary as you head to Israel.
- Board your 4x4 and experience the Wadi Rum Desert Valley ruggedly, with an expert local guide on board to teach you all about everything you’re seeing.
- Disembark and cross the border to Israel at Wadi Araba.
- Arrive in Jerusalem and check in to your new accommodation.
- Day 7: Free day in Jerusalem
You’re in the capital of Israel: Jerusalem. It’s also the largest, and oldest city in Israel. We’re talking inhabited-for-nearly-7,000-years-and-even-the-palm-trees-have-seen-some-things old. Get your free day on as you get to know the place.
Free time suggestions
Yad Vashem**:** This center is Israel’s largest holocaust memorial. Take time to visit its museums, outdoor monuments, and gardens.
Mahane Yehuda Market**:** Catch a glimpse of local culture at Mahane Yehuda Market (referred to as “The Shuk”) with its 250+ vendors selling fruits, vegetables, meat, and so much more.
- Day 8: Free day in Jerusalem
You’re just getting started in Jerusalem. Take another free day to explore the city with your group.
Free time suggestions
Mount of Olives**:** Near Jerusalem’s Old Town, this mountain was part of many biblical stories and holds significance for Jews and Christians. And while there are no longer olive trees today, it offers stunning panoramic views of the city.
City of David: Put on your archeologist hat and explore the area thought to be the birthplace of Jerusalem over 3,000 years ago.
- Day 9: Explore Jerusalem
Sniff that history-soaked air, you’re in Jerusalem—one of the oldest cities in the world, and certainly one of the most holy. Adherents of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all flock here to see thousands of years of their religion’s most spiritual sites. Strap on your sandals, you’re about to get a hands-on lesson walking the winding alleyways and cobblestoned pathways of world religion.
- Join a local guide for an immersive stroll through the Old City of Jerusalem’s Christian, Armenian, and Jewish Quarters.
- Continue to the Western Wall, sometimes known as the Wailing Wall, built by Herod the Great around 19 BC.
- Enter the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, built on the site where Jesus Christ was said to have been both crucified and entombed.
- Visit the Tomb of David and Upper Room where Jesus held the Last Supper in Christian tradition.
- Day 10: Travel to Tel Aviv + Nighttime exploring
Your final destination awaits: Tel Aviv, Israel. For every ounce of history and tradition that Jerusalem holds, Tel Aviv matches it in glamor, excitement, and the cutting edge of modernity. Vegans, party animals, beach bunnies, and the crunchiest of outdoorsy-types, rejoice: there’s something for everyone in Tel Aviv.
- Hop on your morning bus from Jerusalem, and head for the coast—Tel Aviv is located on the sunny shores of the Mediterranean Sea.
- Arrive in Tel Aviv and check out Jaffa Port and the Promenade with your Tour Director.
- Get ready to go out in the nightlife capital of the Middle East.
- Day 11: Explore Tel Aviv + Optional Culinary Tour + Farewell Dinner
Like all great stories, this trip has a beginning, a Middle East, and an end. And sadly, you’ve reached the last full day of your Israel & Jordan adventure. You’ve had some laughs, made all olive the memories, and maybe even rode a camel. Luckily, though, you’ve got a jam-packed last day! Yalla!
- Get nautical on a sightseeing tour of Tel Aviv, including a stop in cultural mecca Jaffa Port—said to be one of the oldest ports in the world, and where the titular character from the Biblical tale of Jonah & the Whale set sail from.
- Waltz through the visually satisfying White City neighborhoods, made up of Bauhaus-style buildings, for all you architecture geeks out there.
- Take advantage of a chance to buy last minute souvenirs along bougie Rothschild Boulevard.
- Share some last laughs (and maybe shed a few tears) at an included farewell dinner with the group.
Tel Aviv Culinary Tour (extra cost)
Take a guided tour with an expert of Israeli cuisine’s greatest hits—a harmonious blend of Arabic and Persian cuisine, with a healthy dose of the homeland staples brought over by Jewish immigrants from Russia, Germany, Eastern Europe, and beyond. You’re gonna want to eat this.
This excursion is pre-book only; if your trip is less than seven days away, please call 800-766-2645 to purchase.
- Day 12: Fly Home
Translation: Goodbye, friends. Before you head to the airport, make sure to take one more group photo and grab that final drink. But this isn’t goodbye because you can always get the gang back together for another trip soon. Or if you’re feeling adventurous, we have a couple ways to keep your vacation going.
EXTEND YOUR TRIP 2 WAYS
1. Double the fun
A lot of our trips line up back to back! Give us a call—we can help you add another and save big while you're at it.
2. Go ahead or stay behind
Extending your trip is easy! During checkout, you'll have the option to fly to (or from) the gateway of your choice for an additional fee. We'll adjust your flights accordingly, but you'll be responsible to take care of your transportation, hotels, and other logistics outside of tour.
Note: Depending on your desired gateways, additional fees may apply.
Traveling with us helps the EF community plant trees, at no extra cost to you.
Overall rating: 5 out of 5
Based on 4 authentic traveler reviews
10/10Mitchell, traveled Jun.. 2022
An absolutely amazing itinerary bolstered by a fantastic tour guide and a welcoming group. I expected to enjoy the Israel part of the tour more, but I ended up falling in love with Jordan. Wadi Rum felt out of this world and was by far my favorite part of the trip. The tour had great balance between adventure and down time. I also appreciated the contrast b... See more
Trip of a lifetimeKaysie, traveled Apr.. 2022
OK, this trip was 100% my favorite EF trip to date. This was my 4th EF trip and it lived up to my dreams. I thought Petra would be my favorite moment (it still was spectacular) but the best moment was the 4 x 4 ride in the desert. My tour group was so chill and we bonded so well. We danced the night away in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, shared stories in the deser... See more
Amazing Trip!Katherine, traveled Apr.. 2022
This trip is awesome! you get a bit of everything. Seeing the Holy Sepulchre church was a dream come true. We had a few days at the beach and got to even go on a camel ride through the desert. Truly an amazing trip overall!
SO MUCH FUN!Giovanny, traveled Apr.. 2022
If you want a real adventure outside the norm, then book this one! It was amazing and so much fun! The camel rides, 4x4 rides, and the boat ride were all great. Do not worry if you are traveling alone, trust me you will make friends. If you can, book during May 4th, this is Israel's independence day and YOU will have a blast partying and dancing in Jerusalem... See more